Silkworm to debate Creationist at his college (any advice?)

As the links in the file indicate' date=' Gobineau was very influential in setting Nazi policy! In fact, that's where the policy came from, not Darwin. I haven't found any direct quotes of Gobineau about Darwin. Not much of Gobineau's letters are widely available (if they are available at all) and his major work was done before Darwin. So there is no book by Gobineau post-Darwin where he might have commented in print on Darwin and evolution.

Another approach is to say that evil people will corrupt ANY idea for their purpose. Racists corrupted evolution, too. Darwinism was first very anti-racist. However, it didn't take long for Virchow, Spencer, and others to corrupt Darwinism into Social Darwinism to support racism. So BOTH Christianity and Darwinism was twisted to support racism.

Also, look at how the Prince of Peace has been used over the centuries as justification for wars! People wanted a war, so they misused Jesus and Christianity to justify one.[/quote']

Thanks for the clarification on this Lucaspa, and thanks for the comments on my blog about Haeckel.

I'm hoping that Lucas will show next time.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice try, Silkworm, but you've really just gotten on the wrong track. Don't you know that the best source of all, the BIBLE, says that God created the Earth a few thousand years ago? Geologists have known this for a while now .. they use evidence from the bible, which is much more reliable than silly data from rocks or such. Gosh.

On a more serious note, excellent job. I read through the "transcription" of the event and you really gave it to him. It would appear that your research paid off, because you caught that guy in some pretty serious lies.

Do you think Bill Lucas got Divine Force Law from his relative George Lucas?

Thanks for the transcript, Silkworm, that was really... amusing. I do have to say, though, that I agree in part with the Indian man. There is a huge difference between saying, "You have no data" and "You have nothing". When you use phrases like, "You have nothing", "It's garbage" and "I suggest you find another line of work", you shift the listener from critical examination of Lucas' credentials to your hostility. These audiences are smart and probably will realize, after you point out the flaws, that it IS garbage. But when you use the phrase you may be losing some support from those who don't like those types of confrontational methods.

Do you see the difference between outright calling him a crackpot and showing everybody the evidence that will lead them to the same conclusion? The Indian man probaly blew you off as a rude young man but might have come around to your POV regarding Lucas if you hadn't drawn his conclusions for him in such a "not nice" manner.

Don't get me wrong, Lucas deserved what he got from you, but you don't need anyone in the audience wondering if you have an axe to grind about anything other than his ideas. You might want to simply present your findings and concerns and let the audience come to it's own inevitable conclusions.

Do you think Bill Lucas got Divine Force Law from his relative George Lucas?

Thanks for the transcript' date=' Silkworm, that was really... amusing. I do have to say, though, that I agree in part with the Indian man. There is a huge difference between saying, "You have no data" and "You have nothing". When you use phrases like, "You have nothing", "It's garbage" and "I suggest you find another line of work", you shift the listener from critical examination of Lucas' credentials to your hostility. These audiences are smart and probably will realize, after you point out the flaws, that it IS garbage. But when [u']you[/u] use the phrase you may be losing some support from those who don't like those types of confrontational methods.

Do you see the difference between outright calling him a crackpot and showing everybody the evidence that will lead them to the same conclusion? The Indian man probaly blew you off as a rude young man but might have come around to your POV regarding Lucas if you hadn't drawn his conclusions for him in such a "not nice" manner.

Don't get me wrong, Lucas deserved what he got from you, but you don't need anyone in the audience wondering if you have an axe to grind about anything other than his ideas. You might want to simply present your findings and concerns and let the audience come to it's own inevitable conclusions.

I absolutely hear you PfA. And the way I ended up pointing at him was not my intention, he just begged for it and it went across well except for the Indian guy. There was simply no other option. He's slippery, and you have to peg him, and I did.

I wish I had the audio, I was screaming at him too when he called Nash a liar. I was so pissed I was shaking and I wasn't going to let him slip out of it, and I didn't.

What's really sad, that's not even half of what I have on him, and the pile just keeps getting deeper and deeper.

Nice try' date=' Silkworm, but you've really just gotten on the wrong track. Don't you know that the best source of all, the BIBLE, says that God created the Earth a few thousand years ago? Geologists have known this for a while now .. they use evidence from the bible, which is much more reliable than silly data from rocks or such. Gosh.

On a more serious note, excellent job. I read through the "transcription" of the event and you really gave it to him. It would appear that your research paid off, because you caught that guy in some pretty serious lies.[/quote']

Thanks. And it had to make sense. It wasn't a misrepresentation about science, it was an outright lie. At this point in time his resume still has not been correct. I hope Catholic U is monitoring it.

Silkworm, I was very sceptical about your efforts against Mr. Lucas, but if he really is promoting this Divine Force stuff, then you absolutely are right. This "Divine Force" to me sounds like total drivel, so at this point I have to give you my credits :).

• 10 months later...

For those of you who were familiar with my "Defending Science" blog, found at http://silkworm.wordpress.com between February 2006 and May 2007, I regret to inform you that my blog was hijacked by spammers and, as a result, shut down by wordpress.com due to violation of the Terms of Service. Wordpress is not responding to any of my requests for access to my content, and appear to have a NO TOLERANCE policy when it comes to Terms of Service violations.

For anyone out there who may have a hard disk copy of anything from my the "Defending Science" blog, please notify me immediately at my new blog at http://brockwichita.wordpress.com/, which is mirrored at http://brockwichita.blogspot.com/.

Thank you for your help and support.