• FreeBSD
    • I'm waiting for Windows .NET
    • It doesn't matter to me.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Put me in your will. Can I have your computer.:sucks:

I run a little Dell and I like Windows XP cus thats the only one I've really ever known. It's still a pain in the ass cus I've tried for a month to get it to synchronize my clock but it keeps losing time.

Right now its after 5pm and my clock says 9:53am.

I installed d4time4.3 but it keeps giving me an error message.

It says "error binding socket address! (0)" So my clock continues to run slow. I keep manually synchronizing it through the control panel but it doesn't last

Any advice?

Just aman

You still haven't listed DOS/VSE or MVS/OS390. Both put those others to shame. I work on DOS (the real DOS, not uncle Bill's). It puts those all to shame, and it was obsolete by 1985. The most recent version came out last month, and it handles files larger than common Eunuchs platforms, sorts faster too.

Norton's AntiVirus is known for slowly down the PC clock (on Win9x - WinXP). If you have that installed, it may be your problem. Other than that, I'm not familiar with any other software that would slow down the PC clock.

Linux kicks the ass of any windows OS. I work at PC-repair type place where we sell these old Compaq 4184's. These machines are horrible - 20MB RAM, 177Mhz, 3GB HD...So anyway, I got bored and slapped the latest version of SuSE on it. That would happen to be another lovely "flavor" of Linux. It ran great. We sell the machines with Win95'. They run like shit. I rest my case.

In case you don't understand:

Modern Linux OS > Old Windows OS

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Originally posted by michael

2000 is great. Especially for computers about 2 years old. XP takes hardware.. that I don't have. :-/

XP sped up my laptop's performance (admittedly over ME, but still) by a large amount, and it's got just 56Mb of RAM - 200 less than the 'minimum'.

When you turn everything off (there's a button which does) then it's a highly efficient OS.

Add an XP tweaking tool and you're laughing.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri

WinXP Pro is the best os around.

Want proof? It's what all the compsci's use.

Linux is the best os no doubt about it!

Open source dude! Here's a little saying:

Mac for Productivity

Linux for developement/stability

Windoze for solitare

No comment on the Mac line.

I understand about the games I have a Windoze box myself just for that. But have you considered WINE(windoze emulator for linux) And the part about being a programmer. With Linux you need know what your doing with windoze you can be an absolute idiot. Windoze has so many bugs too. Internet Explorer has a bug that can repartition a hardrive. It seems rather ludacris arguing about why Linux is better than windoze.The answer is obvious.(Linux you FOOL)

Three computers:

Old one - Win95 GREAT.

Toshiba laptop - Win98 Better then GREAT. (both include firewall and other privacy software.)

Toshiba laptop (good computer) - WinME "Please someone wake me up from this nightmare. No matter how much I try to secure my computer, it is never where I want it to be. Personally, I've came to the comclusion, I have something writen on my Zero Disk :-(

There is no one truly good operating system. Windoze is crap for many reasons one is for lack of stability. But it is good for it's compatability(games). Mac OS X a good stable user friendly os. Linux is stable lots of open source programs along with the kernel being opensource. So if you have any operating system it will be lacking features from other os's. And vice versa.(I have always wanted to say that)