Male student in dress shut out of prom

Jim

Thoughts?

Aside from the legal issues, I think they should let him go. I wore a crushed velvet multicolor tux in 1977 and had hair past my shoulders, so I could never criticize anyone for wearing something tasteless to a prom.

Would they have denied a girl who was wearing pants, or a tux? (I recall a couple at my prom wearing matching tuxedoes). It's the prom, not a classroom setting.

I recall controversy a while ago about a school that banned shorts but not skirts, and so a boy wore skirts and kilts and got into a bunch of trouble. It's discriminatory. Knee-jerk policies by unthinking school officials.

I`m the other side of the coin here,

a good many resteraunts have a dress code, no Tie... No Food.

many night clubs won`t allow you in with trainers/sneakers, you must wear shoes.

what`s the problem here?

I`m the other side of the coin here' date='

a good many resteraunts have a dress code, no Tie... No Food.

many night clubs won`t allow you in with trainers/sneakers, you must wear shoes.

what`s the problem here?[/quote']

He was wearing clothes; others were presumably allowed in wearing similar clothes. Private institutions having a dress code is a somewhat different matter than a government-run one.

Personally I would have no problem in letting someone dressed like that in. Aparently he wore dresses through out the year to school and no complaint was made. The clothes were wear (eg: dresses or pants) is only based in tradition, not law (there are laws that alow alow people to dress as they like). This seems to be a case of people getting upset because their sense of tradition was being chalenged.

I say he should at least get a formal aplogy from the people running that prom and the person who made the decision not to let him in.

What seems most strange about this is that Kevin Logan dressed as a girl every day of his senior year. Although it doesn't mention him wearing dresses in particular, it seems strange for the Superintendant's office to cite dress codes as the reason for banning him.

Personally, I think Kevin needs professional help. A backless fuchsia gown with his skin tones? Pul-lease.

What seems most strange about this is that Kevin Logan dressed as a girl every day of his senior year. Although it doesn't mention him wearing dresses in particular' date=' it seems strange for the Superintendant's office to cite dress codes as the reason for banning him.

Personally, I think Kevin needs professional help. A backless fuchsia gown with his skin tones? Pul-lease.[/quote']

Yeah, it's like it came as a surprise. You'd think they'd be more willing to let him "let his hair down" at a prom than they would in class.

The makeup was well done but a friend should have told him, "yes, Kevin, that dress does make you look fat!"

in Every school there are Bullies/jocks/"hard men" with a thing to prove etc...

If they let him in, they would more than likely waste no time making an issue of it an spoiling it all for the rest.

you cannot get rid of these people, they`ve been there since time began (and always will be sadly), so it`s easier to return the one to change clothes that sort out a huge mess afterwards.

I`m not a Yank, but I gather proms occur infrequently, so why have it spoiled by those that can`t see it for it what it is and would likely spoil the occasion as a result.

I think it's great that he wasn't allowed into the prom. I don't know about anyone else, but I usually meet a new girlfriend whenever I go to a dance. Now what if some guy that didn't know this thing was a guy ended up dancing with it or worse....eww.

I hope, when you go to these dances, that you wear some badge indicating that you're a bigot who does not feel comfortable with other people expressing themselves by wearing whatever clothes they feel like so that these prospective girlfriends know what kind of person you are too: the kind who confuses transvestism with sexual preference (what on earth makes you think this person would even want to dance with someone like you?) and feels it acceptable to refer to other people by 'thing' and 'it'. Keep it up and you will get banned. Heck, I'd ban you anyway. Grow up.

I think it's great that he wasn't allowed into the prom. I don't know about anyone else, but I usually meet a new girlfriend whenever I go to a dance. Now what if some guy that didn't know this thing was a guy ended up dancing with it or worse....eww.

then that guy would be an imbocil. if he was wearing styrups, would he be at risk of being mistaken for a horse?

If you're going to chace anything in a skirt without bothering to first check that its not hideously ugly/obviously herpies-ridden/male etc, then you'd have no-one to blame but yourself.

anyway... as to the OP, whilst i wouldn't want to wear a dress to a prom, i also reeeeeeeeeeeeeally wouldn't want to wear formal male dress, yet id have to. I also have to at weddings. which i think sucks, but there you go. he had to wear formal male dress rather than his prefference of a floral one (sorry), and i'd have had to wear formal male dress rather than my prefference of jeans and hawaian shirts. sux, and, for variouse reasons, i really dont like people dictating what i can or cannot wear, but it's just the way these things are. 'cos of tradition.

Now what if some guy that didn't know this thing was a guy ended up dancing with it or worse....eww.
Consider this a verbal warning. Your opinion is welcome, no matter what it is, as long as it's given with respect. Referring to fellow humans as "it" and "thing" in this context is completely against forum policies regarding prejudice.

I think he's got every right to file a complaint, after all its only a prom... How could they let him wear 'female' clothes in school and not at the prom. It doesn't make any sense.

And for that matter, how does one define 'female' and 'male' clothes anyway. I think that forcing styles of clothes into gender stereotypes is discriminatory, on the part of the school.

We all have certain inalienable rights and if we say one person is not important we are going against the very foundation of America and most countries. If it indeed is within his rights, then it does matter. He has rights. Everyone has rights. Does anyone care about your individual rights? They should. Discriminating is also against the progress of democracy. Justice must prevail.

If they let him in' date=' they would more than likely waste no time making an issue of it an spoiling it all for the rest.

you cannot get rid of these people, they`ve been there since time began (and always will be sadly), so it`s easier to return the one to change clothes that sort out a huge mess afterwards.

I`m not a Yank, but I gather proms occur infrequently, so why have it spoiled by those that can`t see it for it what it is and would likely spoil the occasion as a result.[/quote']

Sorry, I disagree; can't back down to bullies and bigots if you're in charge.

I think they probably just didn't think it through, and if they hadn't been surprised they wouldn't have banned him.

[Yeah, maybe I'm naive ...]

RE: why the prom and not it class? He wores jeans, not skirts, during the school years. I wonder what they would have had he worn a woman's formal pantsuit?

BTW, wasn't JesuBungle joking?

I think they probably just didn't think it through' date=' and if they hadn't been surprised they wouldn't have banned him.[/quote']

That's probably why he's asking for a formal apology and not a time machine.

We all have certain inalienable rights and if we say one person is not important we are going against the very foundation of America and most countries.

I'm pretty sure the United States has suffered worse "affronts" to the character of the republic; we can endure shutting out transvestites from prom.

yes... who gets to decide that dresses are for women? that's sexist.

The invisible hand of fashion, closely related to the invisible hand that decides that women and men should have separate bathrooms and the invisible hand responsible for penis and vagina having entirely different definitions.

Yes, especially in John Hughes films. On the other hand, there's a far greater mass of scholar athletes who just don't have the time or inclination to put up with some attention whore's shallow eccentricities.

If they let him in, they would more than likely waste no time making an issue of it an spoiling it all for the rest.

Transvestites attract attention from a far larger group than "bullies/jocks/'hard men.'" Unless this is a prank, I'd be surprised if the vast majority of students outside of the Goth squad didn't exercise their freedom to be sarcastic.

Because they play a useful and fulfilling role in society. Why would you want to get rid of them?

I'm pretty sure the United States has suffered worse "affronts" to the character of the republic; we can endure shutting out transvestites from prom.

Does that make it right? And, discriminating is a bad thing.

The invisible hand of fashion, closely related to the invisible hand that decides that women and men should have separate bathrooms and the invisible hand responsible for penis and vagina having entirely different definitions.

That's not true at all. Men and women should have different bathrooms for good reason and that's dictated by law.

There is no law telling us that men can't wear dresses. And, the 'invisible hand of fashion' should have no role in the school systems, aside from asexual dress codes that dictate what parts can be seen.