new computer

eruheru

• 2 weeks later...

not sure if I can reference other websites and forums... but this is the one I used the most when building my computer. http://www.anandtech.com their forum is quite full of good ideas.

I also suggest waiting for the Conroe processors, if only to get the HUGE price cuts that will come with it (from both AMD and Intel). if you aren't buying a Conroe, I would start with an Athlon X2 and an AM2 motherboard and choose compatible parts. RAM, i suggest Value Ram from Kingston or other named companies unless you want to overclock. Video cards... go with mid-range but the newest possible, as the highest range offers benefits in benchmarks, but those are nearly irrelevent unless you have a 23inch screen (well, they are relevent but the price premium is to high relative to it). I gotta go so I can't say more... but... anandtech has some neat price guides and all... (oh... and I'm against buying computers from Dell or Compaq and anything, but, if you want something cheap, it would be the best choice).

If you're still looking at graphics cards I'd have to suggest (as already mentioned) the Radeon X850XT 256MB.

Have you decided on a processor yet? Once you've done that pick a motherboard which looks good and supports your processor (correct socket etc.) and then buy the rest (e.g. RAM) going by what your mobo supports.

i already ordered part with the help of a friend

Mobo- ASUS A8N-E

Case- Antec Performance I P-160W

Burner- BenQ 16X DVD�R DVD Burner With LightScribe

Video card- SAPPHIRE 100106L Radeon X850XT

CD/DVD- BenQ Black E-IDE/ATAPI DVD-ROM Drive

CPU- AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Venice

Harddrive- Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB

the main problem im having is deciding on an OS

i have a copy of XP pro, but i really want to put on Linux. But i have a lot of compatability concerns

Mobo- ASUS A8N-E

i have a copy of XP pro' date=' but i really want to put on Linux. But i have a lot of compatability concerns[/quote']

pretty good... but two things... The Asus A8N-E has a slower HTT. you might want to get the deluxe version (i don't think the price difference is too big). the second thing is... Antec does really good power supplies, but 160Watts is not going to be enough for your setup. you will need at least 400W (or 380... or close to that). and those are the minimum requirements.

pretty good... but two things... The Asus A8N-E has a slower HTT. you might want to get the deluxe version (i don't think the price difference is too big). the second thing is... Antec does really good power supplies, but 160Watts is not going to be enough for your setup. you will need at least 400W (or 380... or close to that). and those are the minimum requirements.

The case doesnt come with a PSU, im getting a Rosewill RP500-2 500W. (i think p160w is just the model name)

This is the Mobo, im not sure if thats the deluxe.

Nice choice. Mind if I ask how much overall?

Also you know you can dual boot ie. have Windows XP Pro and Linux on the same computer. When you turn it on a little screen comes up and using the up/down arrows you can select either Windows or Linux, then press enter and that is the OS that loads.

Also you know you can dual boot ie. have Windows XP Pro and Linux on the same computer. When you turn it on a little screen comes up and using the up/down arrows you can select either Windows or Linux' date=' then press enter and that is the OS that loads.[/quote']

eruheru's concern is that his hardware won't support linux.

I got him a copy of XP pro, but I know he'd like to run linux if he can.

Is there any reason why his hardware wouldn't run Linux?

Mobo- ASUS A8N-E

i have a copy of XP pro' date=' but i really want to put on Linux. But i have a lot of compatability concerns[/quote']

Good decision to build your own. I recently built one for the first time and it was surprisingly easy. I'd suggest you NEVER buy a computer from a big company - they tend to make everything to their own specifications which makes them non-standard and difficult to upgrade.

AMD are cheaper and better than Intel at the moment so good choice there. These days you'll probably need 1 GIG of RAM as well.

I'd suggest you visit the Micro Mart forum to get the best advice (http://www.micromart.co.uk) its sooo helpful!

The best Linux version for beginners is probably UBUNTU.

The case doesnt come with a PSU' date=' im getting a Rosewill RP500-2 500W. (i think p160w is just the model name)

This is the Mobo, im not sure if thats the deluxe.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131524

the link i give you is the SLI (non-deluxe) one... its not much of a price difference and even if youdon't want two videocards its a better performing one. I personally have a SLI-Deluxe but i can't recommand it to people since there seems to be a lot of problems with it (although It worked fine for me). If you aren't a diehard Asus fan, you might wanna check MSI since they have pretty neat boards for rather cheap.

oh and for the Antec, my mistake... at any rate, Antec is a GREAT company (and the case is nice too...). for your PSU, i don't know much about it.

Also you know you can dual boot ie. have Windows XP Pro and Linux on the same computer. When you turn it on a little screen comes up and using the up/down arrows you can select either Windows or Linux' date=' then press enter and that is the OS that loads.[/quote']

it cost about $1,200, including screen, mouse, keyboard and such and such. i was thinking about dual booting, but i was unsure if the hardware drivers would be compatable.

thanks for the suggestions steph, unfortunatly the mobo just arrived the day i read your post so i couldnt change the order :(