new computer

eruheru

hey all, i am (hopefully) buying a computer soon and i wanted to ask a few things. first of all, how good is compaq? secondly which company produces the best LCD monitors (considering price and such) thanks everyone!

Depends what you want the PC for. If it's for gaming, I would suggest Asus or Dell, they both have pretty good gaming lines.

Also, if you can, wait until at least mid-2007 to buy a new PC. That way, the hardware will be Vista compatible, and future-proof, with all the new technologies that Vista is gonna 'support' (in other words, require for complete enjoyment of the OS). And, both major CPU manufacturers are realeasing new architectures within the next year, so if you buy now, you're machine will be ancient history sooner than usual.

Cheers,

LF

I would suggest building your own one. It is cheaper and you can get exactly what you want.

The hardest part is chosing what to buy. You're motherboard has to have the right socket for the processor and the right slots for the RAM and a graphics card.

Once you've got everything (and you do need to be careful with compatability) you just plug everything into their slots/sockets/ports attach the whole thing to a case and turn it on!

Compaq is ok, I've never really heard anything for nor against it. I would recommend Dell although you are partly paying for the name (ie. it's a bit more expensive). But you are paying for quality components and a great customer service.

i have been wanting to build my own computer, however my knowledge is limited and im concerned about messing up and destroying the entire system. does anyone know any good detailed sites that teach about compatability and such? thanks

Hmm... tbh, whilst putting a computer together doesnt strike me as that hard, chosing the right bits can be confusing if you dont know that much about computers. For example, just with ram you've got to make sure that your MOBO supports the amount/type/speed of ram your getting, make sure that you dont mix speeds (or that your mobo supports mixed speeds), and that your not wasting money by, for example, buying a huge and expensive processor that will be crippled by low amounts of ram.

Not saying that you shouldn't do it -- like 4nums said, it's much cheaper and really not that hard -- just make sure you get your specs checked by a tech before buying them.

Compaqs are the best! They will give you the best computer for the best price. Also, their computers are very high-quality and should last a long time. I have a Compaq that was made in 1998, and it runs for about 8 hours a day. All of the original components still work!

Other good computer manufacturers are Apple and Sony. Stay away from Dell, HP, Gateway, and E-machine. I know that HP owns Compaq, but the computers with the HP brand are not as good as the Compaq computers.

HP is perhaps the worst brand to buy. My parents bought an HP computer, and one of the drives wasn't even connected to the mother board. I called HP, and their tech support couldn't help me because HP hadn't taught them about their new computer models yet! A year later, some of the files on that computer's hard drive became corrupt. About a year after that, one of the CD-ROM drives quit working. I've talked to other people who own HPs, and many of them have experienced hardware problems.

Go buy a Compaq!

Ya, definately recommend building your own. I did that a year ago, and my PC is working fine, except for the occasional self-induced software issues. But that's just coz I mess around with it too much for my own good. Many companies have a 'customize' option for their popular lines. If you use this feature, you can custom build your PC, without having to worry about compatibility, since the company takes care of that automatically. But again, you'll be 'paying for the name' and possibly an extra charge for them having to custom build your PC. The best bet would be to use something like this as long as you don't mind sifting your way through German. Or, you could always use google translate to get an understanding of what the site says, tho most of it is pretty self explanitory.

LF

hey all. I was just looking at newegg.com for a processor when I realised I had no clue what the hell I was looking for. I was wondering if anyone can help explain the different parts and the best way to find them. Thank you all.

hey all, i am (hopefully) buying a computer soon and i wanted to ask a few things. first of all, how good is compaq? secondly which company produces the best LCD monitors (considering price and such) thanks everyone!

Many people I know have had trouble with HPs & Compaqs. I consider Dells as sort of an okay but very vanilla brand. There have been publicized problems with their laptops, but that may not apply if you're buying a desktop.

If I were more into gaming and could afford to part with $3000+ for a computer I wasn't allowed to build myself from scratch, I'd get an Alienware.

these highly subjective impressions brought to you by the letter "A" 'cause we animals, "O" 'cause we ominous, "T" 'cause we tyrants and, "P" 'cause we're prominent

eruheru, sorry I don't have much time atm, but I know there's a thread about in this forum which deals with this quite fully...

thanks, ill search for it

edit: this post must have been eruheru signed into my account.

The best way to make a computer, if you don't know anything about the individual components, is to give an idea of what you want it for and a preferred/upper price limit, and have someone who does know about it do it for you. The potential for pitfalls if you're not sure of what you're looking at is enormous.

Oh, and if it's not essential immediately, wait a month and a half for the Conroe to come out.

hey guys' date=' what do you guys think of this this video card? it looks good, but i cant find any reviews for it.

the Conroe looks nice. probabl out of my budget though :(

It will probally play most games on about medium settings, though your have to make sure your motherboard has a PCI-E port, if it doesn't i would find a mobo with one as it is the best type of port to have at the moment for graphics.

I think i might want something a little more powerful. what would you guys recomend. im trying to keep it under $200 preferably under $100.

You're not going to get something particularly powerful for under $100 - that, for the price, is a good video card that will certainly run most new games, although for how long this is the case is debateable.

In the mid $100-$200 range, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102688 is a good card that can run anything pretty well. You're not going to get a world beater without spending a hell of a lot more money than is really worthwhile, however.

What other sort of components are you looking at?

Compaq is rated 11th by PC World Magazine in terms of quality and satisfaction. Alienware, eMachines and Acer are the top three

Which just goes to show that money doesn't buy sense. Alienware machines tend to be poorly made, and are extremely overpriced.