Ambidexterity

that sounds pretty rediculous.

the only difference in how you use your hands is that you usually require one of them to be more precise. if i do something precise with my left hand im going to damage my brain? i guess typing is making all of us brain damaged : P

I`de like to know how they "plug in" heredatory factors into their hypothesis also!

I`m equi-Manual, my Mother is and so was her Grand Mother, were we ALL starved of the old O2 invitro?

I once heard it said that the best administrative personnel a business could hire are those who have more than a slight case of OCD. The attention to detail it brings to the job is just perfect in those circumstances.

The point is, "normal" is an illusion and patterned brain functions are not necessarily all "damaged".

I`m more than sure these people that wrote that would take perfect offense at my manual dexterity (both hands) when it comes to precision work also, I have worked Open Chip "Surgery" in the past without robots or the like, just my Own designed tools and a bought Microscope, the sucker`s STILL working Now!

fancy writing with Both hands at the same time too? No sweat :)

Braindamaged... well maybe, but not as a result of being EquiManual :P

Perhaps if one was 'uncoordinated with both hands', it might be so. :rolleyes:

Or perhaps if a person literally had two left hands, you might suspect a problem. :D

I suspect that I am more likely to be brain damaged because I am so extremely right-handed.

I even switch my knife to my right hand when I eat, and have a lazy left eye.

Interestingly enough, I think I was just as fast at sailing on both tacks.

Not at the same time of course. :)

LOL. I am left handed and have an IQ in the high 120s to low 130s. So if I was right handed then, by that article, I might be a super geinius (Yay for me!!! :D ).

Actually I sow signs of being slightly ambidexterous (and also posably dyslexic - you can tell by my spelling :P ). I use certain things right ahndedly, but most things left handedly. Also I can not "crossover" between left and right (so If I learn something with one hand I have to learn it from scratch with the other hand).

:confused: Hmm, it is sounding like I might have some damage up there... :D

I have heard that left handers have a lower life expectancy than right handers. I think this is because a lot of sharp impliments are designed for right handers and in the hand of a "lefty" (:D ) they become quite unweildy.

The Sinisters of the world are being discriminated aginst! Rise up, and over throw the oppressors! :D (JK)

Thanks guys. I also spoke with my AP Bio teacher and she said that they were probably referring to the rather violent methods of handedness conversation utilised by Catholic schools some forty years ago. I could see very easily how strapping a hand to the desk or plastering it or even just smacking it every time a teacher caught a student using it can be traumatising to the point where it can lead to such things as inferiority complexes.

Although I can joke about this now, I had a teacher would, although would not resort to physically punishing me for using my left hand, would use things like detention, and making me write out anyhting that I had written with my left hand (and if I used my left hand to rewrite I had to do it angain), lowering marrk on any thing I didn't do right handed, etc. And this was only around 20 years ago.

Luckily this was only for 1 year, and the year after the teracher was fired for this knid of practices.

My mother was born left handed and was forced to be right handed by the methods described above. She used both hands and feet to play the organ. When she was about 80 she had a severe stroke - the neurosurgeon told us he expected that she would not recover much movement to her left side. Within a week she was using both hands, and she made an almost complete recovery - she had to use a cane to walk because her right leg was weak. Her doctors were astounded. They came to the conclusion that because the had been forced to change hands, and because of her organ playing that required the use of both hands and both feet - her body had formed extra neural pathways. Because they existed they took over for the parts of her brain that was damaged.

Hi everyone - I'm doing OK - working about 80 hours a week at 2 jobs and recovering from back surgery, so don't have much time to participate.

Bettina - I cleaned out my mailbox.

Hi everyone - I'm doing OK - working about 80 hours a week at 2 jobs and recovering from back surgery' date=' so don't have much time to participate.

Bettina - I cleaned out my mailbox.[/quote']Glad you're OK. Welcome back! :)