acceleration limit

biggs

so velocity has a limit, the speed of light; and since accerleration is just the differentiation of velocity, does this mean there is a limit to how fast an object can accelerate? ~ and for ms^-3 and ms^-4?

and were there a limit, would that mean there is a limit to the integration to distance? a limit to the size of the universe?

so velocity has a limit, the speed of light; and since accerleration is just the differentiation of velocity, does this mean there is a limit to how fast an object can accelerate?

I wouldn´t think so. The maximum change in speed a particle can have is 2c (c left to c right). Let´s make in c for simplification (massive particles could reach the 2c only asymtotically which complicates the treatment without giving any new insight - 1c is already sufficient here). Assuming a constant acceleration a which works over a time t, the change in velocity is a*t which shall be < c:

a*t < c

This equation can be satisfied for any acceleration -no matter how much- if just t is sufficient small, namely

t < c/a

what do you guys think of the idea of discreet units of time? could that be possible (as opposed to a continuous continuum of time)? because if there was, i guess there would be a limit to how sufficiently small t is.

I wouldn´t think so. The maximum change in speed a particle can have is 2c (c left to c right).
I am not sure of this. I think in this case:

c - - c = c

Not sure.

EDIT: Thinking some more. I am pretty sure I was wrong. Oops.