War on Terrorism. Do You feel Safer?

YT2095

Do you feel Safer since the War on Terrorism?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you feel Safer since the War on Terrorism?

• Yes
    • No
    • Whatever

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, we've been through all this before. The UN charter basically says that unless the Security Council specifically identifies a threat and forms a resolution authorising the use of force, or a member country is directly attacked, a member CANNOT invade another country.

Read this thread newbie. It's extremely long but very interesting ;)

http://www.scienceforums.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=770

UN Resolutions List:

http://www.un.org/Docs/scres/1991/scres91.htm

I will make this short, all this talk about being illegal is just a conspiracy that you want to hold on too because of reasons you dislike the country. I read some of the thread you posted and stopped when I read faf's post. Iraq did have WMD and the whole point of the resolutions was to prove that they destroyed them. That was one of the reasons Bush gave to go to war and was justified when Iraq did not comply. There have been instances where we have found possible links to Osama, but as of now we are unable to verify the claims.

Regarding your thoughts on my last post:

One only needs to read the resolution to understand that Iraq did not comply. Also the Security Council was undecided on the issue like I said before.

If I do have a "problematic history on this forum" it’s because I must. When you reply to a post you are replying to that person, not the entire thread. My first statement was directed to you; I have no problem admitting that, but you make one to me and I challenge it; then you call out that I am making assumptions, which I have not. Your comment was directed too me, if not why would you type it in your reply if it wasn’t?

I am not trying to cause trouble here, just that there is no PROOF of this illegal action. There is no reading behind the lines because everything is out in the open, no secrets, no conspiracies and no illegal actions.

newbie said in post #29 :

One only needs to read the resolution to understand that Iraq did not comply.

I'm pretty sure there wasn't a resolution that read "if Iraq doesn't comply with their wishes, the USA and UK can invade them", so you'll have to be a touch more specific. The UN has quite a few resolutions.

Also the Security Council was undecided on the issue like I said before.

Yes, which makes the attack a breach of international law. Which bit of that is hard to understand?

If I do have a "problematic history on this forum" it’s because I must. When you reply to a post you are replying to that person, not the entire thread.

I disagree with both points.

In the first case, you are reaping what you sow. Your history is catalogued in some detail in the forums' administration area.

In the second case, you are unilaterally ruling out the possibility of a user responding to a specific post but discussing a general subject.

In the example of my post, where I stated "I can't argue against that so I will just ignore it is getting old too", this was meant to be commentary on the general attitude of people on the "pro war side" - just as I interpreted your "I really don't wish to discuss the illegal speak anymore its really getting old" to be commentary on the "anti war side".

Why you would think that I accused you of ignoring something you had just posted about is something of a mystery to me. Damn, I'm so devious that even I don't notice my evil plans.

If the UN is undecided then it defaults to the countries in question to resolve the matter. Why is that so hard to understand?

I disagree again.

If you really wanted to convey a sad believe and not direct that comment to me then you should of rephrased it, as it stands it was directed to me.

This is getting us nowhere so I think its time to say goodbye to this discussion. Can we agree on that?

Hmmm.... This is going Well !?

if I may go back to the ORIGINAL idea of this thread, DOES anyone Actualy feel safer?

(don`t get me wrong, I`m all FOR side chats and stuff, and the Poll is interesting, tho some more votes would be better, it`s just that we seem to have REALLY driffted off the point here!)

as Dudde would say: " the next one off topic gets banned" LOL :)

The thing I don't feel safe about isn't the terrorists going around blowing things up, it's the way that about 3 days ago the police turn up on our road and start pulling everyone over completely randomly, and this happens on a monthly basis. Before all this started, I don't think I've ever seen it happening before. The Government has used this 'terrorist threat' to get in legislation that would otherwise just be clearly thrown out of Parliament. I just don't like the way it's going, because at this rate they'll turn it into a police state.

In some ways people in the west are safer from terrorists, al Qaeda has been busy in Afghanistan and it seems is diverting some of its people to Iraq where the US troops are easier targets. They have a good opportunity to undermine the US there and have been finding it harder to move money around, so they aren't as likely to be doing any of the riskier attacks overseas.

By the way I found this interesting which was quoted in a recent opinion article:

"Trying to eliminate Saddam...would have incurred incalculable human and political costs. Apprehending him was probably impossible...we would have been forced to occupy Bagdad and, in effect rule Iraq...there was no viable 'exit stategy' we could see, violating another of our principles.

"Furthermore, we had been self-consciously trying to set a pattern for handling aggression in the post-Cold War world. Going in and occupying Iraq, thus unilaterally exceeding the United Nations mandate, would have destroyed the precedent of international response to aggression we had hoped to establish. Had we gone the invasion route, the United States could conceivably be an occupying power in a bitterly hostile land."

It's from George Bush Senior's memoir, A World Tansformed. As the journalist pointed out, "it's a pity his son can't read."

Now back to the topic.

If we were really after oil in Iraq we would have taken in in the Gulf War.

The UN required Iraq to produce documents outlining what happened to their chem/bio weapons. They failed to do this. If the UN expects countries to follow their laws, they should try enforcing them once in a while. Oppose the war all you want, but don't be so bold as to accuse the US of violating international law for enforcing the threat of force approved earlier by the UN when the UN was afraid to act.

well he obviously wants to stay alive, hence his cooperative attitude during capture, I think he`ll try a wriggle out a little by bargaining for a lesser sentence, giving up names and places of his henchmen for leniency(sp?).

tho he IS of the mindset in his past history, to have gotten rid of all his WMD, but played the bluff that he still HAS THEM.

all we need to do now is capture Osama Big Lamer, and I recon the rest will crap themselves! either give up to forces, go into hiding and reform or die trying.

what we DONT want, is him to be seen as a martyr! under ANY circumstances!

but I for one, am a happy bunny about this news :))