Cool Chemical Portal

webqc

it apears to be a good little resource you have there, I clicked on Copper and the info given back (eventualy) was alot more than you`d get on other similar sites.

other than a slight Loading issue for a particular element (that could be My end).

I think you`ve got great site going there, I`ve bookmarked it :)

Good to see this portal. Nice idea to link through to wikipedia for more detailed info on the elements. I've bookmarked it, and probably I'll use the numbers for my own website and/or experiments.

A very nice site - I think you have a good computing brain too.

If youre ambitious you could expand on it by adding check boxes to each element. Users would then tick, say, copper, sulphur, and oxygen and it would list all compounds made from them (copper sulphate in this case)

If youre ambitious you could expand on it by adding check boxes to each element. Users would then tick' date=' say, copper, sulphur, and oxygen and it would list all compounds made from them (copper sulphate in this case)[/quote']

That would be a really big project, requiring a database of all the required compounds to be added... would be possible but would take some work to do :)

Edit: It could be done dynamically with a little more effort though.

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

I`m not sure That would be such a great idea either, the "rabbit Hole" could get plenty PLENTY deep if you tried to incorporate that sort of thing.

"lets click say 48 carbon 6 nitrogen a whole bunch of Hyrdogen and maybe some Phosphorus too, and see what we get"

it simply isn`t practical.

I`m not sure That would be such a great idea either' date=' the "rabbit Hole" could get plenty PLENTY deep if you tried to incorporate that sort of thing.

"lets click say 48 carbon 6 nitrogen a whole bunch of Hyrdogen and maybe some Phosphorus too, and see what we get"

it simply isn`t practical.[/quote']

Good point, taking organics as an example, there are literally millions of them - it would get compicated fast and that probably why it has not been done before :)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Indeed, currently there are chemicals databases, and they contain a few million of chemicals. But these are not publicly accessible, unfortunately. Even with inorganics, there are so many many many compouds, e.g. what to think of such a compound as potassium penta(trichlorostannato(II)) platinate (IV) :D. I actually have made this compound once (in solution), but it only exists in very few databases. Btw, its formula is [ce]KPt(SnCl3)5[/ce].

Its just unfortunate the task is so complex, dynamic generation would be almost impossible without using all of the current "rules" we now know (some of them we still don't really understand so its not really useful anyway) so the only way would be a database and compiling such a database would be no easy task and would require dedication to say the least. There are a few good public ones out there and I bet those took months if not years to compile...

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Its just unfortunate the task is so complex' date=' dynamic generation would be almost impossible without using all of the current "rules" we now know (some of them we still don't really understand so its not really useful anyway) so the only way would be a database and compiling such a database would be no easy task and would require dedication to say the least. There are a few good public ones out there and I bet those took months if not years to compile...

Cheers,

Ryan Jones[/quote']

Seems to me that programming a dynamicly generated list would be less complicated for simple combinations. Much of the needed information is already there.

Either way, the venture would be pretty massive.

[edit]Less complicated probably isn't the correct phrase. Less work in the end, as the list of combinations is effectively endless....[/edit]

Seems to me that programming a dynamicly generated list would be less complicated for simple combinations. Much of the needed information is already there.

Either way' date=' the venture would be pretty massive.

[edit']Less complicated probably isn't the correct phrase. Less work in the end, as the list of combinations is effectively endless....[/edit]

Not nessisarily, its not as simple as that, you'd need rule checks and some of these can be broken so its not really feasible to do it dynamically at all. If it were I'm shure some of those massive databases would already have tried.

It would be MUCH less work to get these from a database, even with the simpler cases it would get quite complex.

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

If youre ambitious you could expand on it by adding check boxes to each element. Users would then tick' date=' say, copper, sulphur, and oxygen and it would list all compounds made from them (copper sulphate in this case)[/quote']

I work as a SQL database developer and this could be done quite easily. The key is to get a list of all chemical compounds you are interested in (OK excluding the organics because there are literally millions of these) and add them to a SQL table. Then run a script that for each element goes through this list and sees whether it has this element in it (do a simple text parse for this check) and add an entry to a second table with each element id.

This will mean there will be three entries for copper sulphate for the three elements.

Then run a query each time to find all entries in those tables with a common compound id (name) where the three elements are present.

Of course the main question is whether anyone would actually use this feature. I've spent time in the past creating a web service that nobody found useful :-(

But if people think it might be of use then I would be happy to give it a shot...

Thank you for comments and advice!

1) Latin names have been added!

2) I think it would be really difficult to generate all existent compounds dynamically. For example let's conseder oxydes and chlorides of Mn.

Oxides are: MnO, Mn2O3, Mn3O4(MnOxMnO2), MnO2, Mn2O7. The last one is highly explosive liquid.

But chloride MnCl7 doesn't exist - it's impossible.

To figure out such things for every element combination it would be necessary to implement thousands of rules.

It would be much easier to use database which I do not have. So if anybody will give me such mysql database I would be glad to implement this feature :)

@Neil9327: Direct database extraction is simple, the problem is simply the vast number of compounds - as the database grows in size then the search time will become slower and eventually it would be useless. Other then that it would take weeks if not months to compile a good list of chemical compounds.

How about just simple ones such as sulphates, chlorides, hydroxides, oxides etc? The normal compounds people are likley to come accross? Would make the request much smaller :)

For the MySQL challange - would be quite simple to make, depending on what information you'd like to have about each compound. I made a database once and I know from experience that it got rather large really quickly... unfortunatly we lost it in a server crash a few months back :-(

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

I like the period table in general as well as yours! I did notice that your electron config for Ti was off though...(2 extra electrons?)

I dig it!

Well' date=' looks correct from here (total number of electrons = total number of protons):

[math'][Ar] \; 3d^{24}s^{2}[/math]

I do have one suggestion myself however, how about trying to include pictures of each element, jdurg may be able to help you with that :)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

When i click on "more about the element" nothing comes up. Pop blocker is not allowing me (although im pretty sure its off). I have similar problems on other websites...Anyone know how to fix this?

Other then that, nice site! Bookmarked

To: RyanJ

I would love to include pictures.

Do you know where can I get them?

To: WillTheNewf

If you are using IE I would recommend to install firefox.

If you already have firefox uninstall it completely and install again.

Hint: I have a button for firefox at my site, the last one under left menu :)

To: RyanJ

I would love to include pictures.

Do you know where can I get them?

Well, there are lokts on Wikipedia you may use other then that I believe Woelen and Jdurg have some good ones too - maybe you can ask them about it :)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Well' date=' looks correct from here (total number of electrons = total number of protons):

[math'][Ar] \; 3d^{24}s^{2}[/math]

Oops, the only thing wrong is my ability to do math. hehe. For some reason last night I kept getting 24.

Thanks for not making fun of me, heh...