End of Year Lab

Redrang604

I am an 11th grade student who just finished the AP Chem test. My teacher has everyone pick out a lab to do for a final grade. I was wondering if anyone knew of(or where to look for) a challenging lab that was interesting(maybe covers a topic that isnt usually covered in an AP Chem class) that is doable in about an hour and a half, and can be done in an average High School Chem room.

You could do a chemical analysis of a U.S. Nickel and determine what it's metallic composition is. Even better would be doing that with a modern $1 Sacagawea coin as that contains even more metals in it. It's something you can probably do in a high school lab with standard chemicals and you'll have the U.S. Mint's published percentages as a way to see how close you are to being right. It would still involve some research into how to test for each of the metals and get their percentages, but it would be fun. (I did this as my lab final for my junior year analytical chemistry class in college and did it with a nickel).

Does AP chemistry cover nuclear chemistry? A minor one (and preferably a safe one) on radiochemistry might be something you don't see every day. :) Although I'm not sure if the average high school chem storage has any suitable compounds.

I would do Iodine clock reactions. They never cease to amaze me. Google 'landolt reactions' or iodine clock reactions. It's a great display of how the concentration of a substance affects the rate of a reaction.

You could do a chemical analysis of a U.S. Nickel and determine what it's metallic composition is. Even better would be doing that with a modern $1 Sacagawea coin as that contains even more metals in it. It's something you can probably do in a high school lab with standard chemicals and you'll have the U.S. Mint's published percentages as a way to see how close you are to being right. It would still involve some research into how to test for each of the metals and get their percentages, but it would be fun. (I did this as my lab final for my junior year analytical chemistry class in college and did it with a nickel).

too bad that would be illegal :P Destruction of government property, I beleive.

Yup, and it's actually a felony. Must be a real threat to society huh

Nope. It is not illegal and it is not a felony. The alteration/destruction of a United States coin is only illegal if done with fraudulent intent. I.E. you try and gold plate a coin and pass it off as a coin with more value. You can destroy, melt, cut up, draw a picture on, or do anything else to a coin as long as you do not try and pass it for something that it is not.

It is one of the most widespread Urban Myths out there.

Yeah, I've already done the coin thing before, earlier this year we did it with a dime. Also last year we made them "gold"(just zinc plated and then heated, brass) I have however found a lab that i think I am going to use, you can check it out Here If anyone knows the equation for the reaction that takes place it would be helpful.