How to execute a set of commands automatically?

Externet

Hi.

How to execute a set of commands automatically after finishes initialization (Win98 ; Win XP)?

Getting into Windows explorer, I manually delete 'temporary internet files' and all 'cookies' from within their folders periodically, which is supposed to happen when the option to do it when closing the browser is selected under Internet 'tools'

But it does not happen as expected, and besides cookies being kept in the cookies folder, they also hide in several 'internet temporary folders' along with more crap pumped by peddlers and spies of all sorts.

To the colorguard of computers idiots (me), is not easy to implement such 'Startup?' set of actions.

Can someone tell how to do it in simple terms and clear steps ?

Miguel

Well, I guess you could create a batch file to do it and put it in the startup folder on the start menu :)

Other then that build a program to do it manually I guess.

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

of course remembering tha IE only provides an interface to deleting these objects, all its really doing is deleteing the contents of a folder . . . . just something to bare in mind if you were going down the batch file route ;)

And if you're doing all of that just to prevent spyware - then you should really just get anti spyware software . . . adaware, spybot, windows defender etc . . . . and i think im right in saying that they can all be told to scan at certain times.

of course remembering tha IE only provides an interface to deleting these objects' date=' all its really doing is deleteing the contents of a folder . . . . just something to bare in mind if you were going down the batch file route ;)

And if you're doing all of that just to prevent spyware - then you should really just get anti spyware software . . . adaware, spybot, windows defender etc . . . . and i think im right in saying that they can all be told to scan at certain times.[/quote']

Thats a good point but it can still be esily done via abatch file.... also if you use IE switch to something a lot more secure like Opera or Firefox, that will help your chances for not getting spyware.

There are also some schedule programs that can do this I believe come to think of it, maybe you could use one of those as bluesmudge suggested?

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

actually a batch file would be very easy if you know windows command line - becuase batch file (correct me if im wrong) just executes a set of commands stored in the batch file? then all you need to do is create a batch file with the windows equivilant of

rmdir ' cookies file path' ------> (a unix and linux command I believe)

then drag that batch file to the startup folder in the All Programs section of the start menu

I don't know the syntax of the batch file but if you want to create one open notepad, and when you save the file type t filename.bat and it'll be saved as a batch file !

When you start IE again it will notice the folder missing and simpl create a new one to fill with spyware :)

A batch file is the easiest way and can also be placed in the Windows XP environment variable so it runs automatically at boot up.

I have a batch file I made called "backme" that when I type it in a dos window it backs up all my personal files to a zip file and burns it to a dvd disk and verifys the burn.

And yes, its created in notepad or any other wp. Its really easy and kind of fun.

Bee

Hi all.

OK, Bettina. Your response makes somewhat more sense to my dumbness. I do have anti-spy and anti-virus and all that which is not the subject here. And I will not get another firefox or whatever that will take me a year to learn. ...maybe

And for all you, a batch file it may be a piece of cake, for me is hebrew, I do not know even what is a command line :-( .

So I open Wordpad as if I was to compose a letter;

Write the steps I would do when deleting those files manually, in the same sequence, with proper syntax, save it into something you call 'startup' that I have no clue where it is...

And this text named batch file would be something like:

Open Windows explorer

Go to Windows directory and open it,

Select cookies folder and open it;

select all files;

delete;

click yes if asked I want to send to the recycle can;

when done, open temp internet folders;

select all;

delete all files;

click yes if asked I want to send them to the recycle can;

when done, empty recycle can;

Display "Cleanup done, continue" for 2 seconds

End of program

At least you will get a laugh out of the above; but I told you, never done, and not much clues on how to :-( .

If an example can be posted here (as it is a piece of cake for you); I could taste some of the cake.

Thanks for holding my hand,:embarass:

Miguel

Those are the steps you see but the command in the batch file will be alot simpler . . . . i.e

Remove c:/temporyinternetfiles

end;

but you'll have to find someone who knows how to impliments a batch file . . . . as for the save it in 'startup' if you look in you start Menu ---> all programs there should be a folder there called startup which is where it needs to go

. . . . but this is all a bit pointless really I don't like to sound offensive but if you're the sort of person who would take a year to understand firefox, and have no real computer ability its never safe to play around with trying to write a batch file, or automating processes maybe its best to stick with what you know

- and i know this will get me lots of complaints like how do you learn unless you try etc etc but really you need to start small like simply exploring your computer, and being willing to play with new interfaces - install firefox, it won't remove IE and you can uninstall it if you don't like it but try stuff out and work your way into the more complicated stuff . . . . .

That said im now interested - does anyone know how to write a batch file to do this?

That said im now interested - does anyone know how to write a batch file to do this?

Yea... should be easy enough.

Use use CD to change the current directory then when at the correct dir use del *.* to delete all files in the folder.

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Externet..... I only use batch files to backup my personal files or run some personal tasks.

If all you want to do is remove temporary internet files, and other stray junk, just download "ccleaner" from here. Its freeware (you don't have to pay for it)

I have this program and use it often and it deletes cookies, temp files, history, etc. The program may load yahoo toolbar which you can uninstall later if you wish. Ccleaner is a great tool and also emptys the "index.dat" file that you can't delete.

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,24149,RSS,RSS,00.asp

Another great program I use is "Spybot" which is also freeware. It finds spyware/adware on your computer and blocks it from working. So far, it has isolated 2200 spyware files on my computer and has them locked. I love this program.

http://www.spybot.info/en/mirrors/index.html

Bettina

Hmmmm. But I will learn nothing downloading.:-(

And Spybot caused much trouble a year ago when I used it in my compfuser at work; will never get back there. I use AdAware ; McAfee Corporate and Yahoo popup blocker. But that is not the point. Am after the batch file.

I will study how to make such batch, and try to set it to happen every monday.:)

Miguel