How much money would I make off this(hyptothetical)?

augment

Let's say that I discovered something that would completely, positively, scientificly proven product that burned fat until a person was down to a healthy weight. How much money would a company give someone that came up with something like this? Seeing as how if something like this was discovered and sold to a company, they would stand to make billions, I would think 50-100 million would sound like a reasonable price.

I don't think you can put a price on something like this.

Chances are - it would cost a lot to manufacture also. Its wise to patent it before selling it to some big pharmaceutical. I think you earn commission or something like that.

50-100 million??? Maybe? Lets say it'll be definitely over 1 million.

Let's say that I discovered something that would completely, positively, scientificly proven product that burned fat until a person was down to a healthy weight. How much money would a company give someone that came up with something like this?
If you could get the backing of the medical community as a safe product that really worked, I'd say you could give Bill Gates a run for *his* money in the next 15-20 years.

In the US, if it's a medication formula, a utility patent in your name will protect you for a period of time, but you are responsible for enforcing it. A utility patent gives you the legal rights to your formula but it's not like the Patent Office or the courts are going to hunt down transgressors for you.

If you think you have something that can meet the requirements for a non-provisional utility patent, you should see a patent attorney. It's expensive, but worth it in the long run if you're serious. One of the ways you can raise capital to afford not only the patent but start-up costs as well is to find an investor and sell the foreign rights. A US patent will only protect you in the US, so you're not really giving anything up. Or you could present your ideas to a venture capital partnership and, for a big chunk of the pie, they will raise the money and set up a board of directors and off you go. [/simple version]

The company that buys the secret off you will then need to begin safety and efficacy testing. From their viewpoint, they do not know if it will 'make the grade'. Pass the tests. It may turn out that your treatment causes long term shrinkage of genitals or something that would make it impossible to market or use. A full scale test program for this kind of product might cost US$ 100 million to US$ 1000 million. Quite a risk!

The time factor is important also. We assume it was patented by you. Testing might take 10 years or more. The patent lasts 18 years. This does not leave a lot of time to make a bundle.

On then other hand, if by some chance, it turns out to be everything you claim, the company selling it could make US$ 1 trillion before the patent ran out.

If you were able to auction the secret, it is impossible to predict exactly how much it would fetch. That would depend on the perception of the companies bidding on the degree of risk. However, you could, I think, guarantee many millions. If perceived risk was low, my guess is US$ 100 million plus.

Yea thanks. I'm just trying to find out all the options. If I or me and a partner came up with something that we could sell for millions or even tens of millions it would help me start my own company and do the things that I want to do.

• 3 weeks later...

Canary.. funny.

I believe such a medication that would tamper with the metabolic pathways would have to cost a user a certain amount of money. You'll have to add in costs of going to a gym and burning the weight through diet versus the medication.

Going to a gym can cost about $700.00+ USD a year. Going on a diet can be expensive in itself; food for a specialized diet is costy. Such an event occured during the awakening of the Atkin's nutritional approach; eggs went up about $0.10 USD.

I assume you could charge lots of money for such a "magic bullet." Totaling in the money of going to a gym, one could assume such a pill would cost $130+ USD.

If you were to total in the number of United States American citizens (with about 60% overweight and 35% obsese?), which is about 200 million adults (I think), you would gain well over a billion dollars. However, that money would have to be spread against production costs, legality problems, and so forth.

I would assume you could make over $250 million when you are done. But let us say that you allow overseas markets into your diabolical eugenics plan of a skinny persons' world. You would make over $1 billion.

There are about seven billion humans on Terra now? With $100 USD a pop, there should be a chance to make over a billion in U.S. currency.

Many variables can still be plugged in. This is if a person only buys the pill once.

People can gain about a pound of weight a day. If the pill helps someone lose 30 pounds, then he or she will probably buy a pill every 30 days.

Canary.. funny.

I believe such a medication that would tamper with the metabolic pathways would have to cost a user a certain amount of money. You'll have to add in costs of going to a gym and burning the weight through diet versus the medication.

Going to a gym can cost about $700.00+ USD a year. Going on a diet can be expensive in itself; food for a specialized diet is costy. Such an event occured during the awakening of the Atkin's nutritional approach; eggs went up about $0.10 USD.

I assume you could charge lots of money for such a "magic bullet." Totaling in the money of going to a gym' date=' one could assume such a pill would cost $130+ USD.

If you were to total in the number of United States American citizens (with about 60% overweight and 35% obsese?), which is about 200 million adults (I think), you would gain well over a billion dollars. However, that money would have to be spread against production costs, legality problems, and so forth.

I would assume you could make over $250 million when you are done. But let us say that you allow overseas markets into your diabolical eugenics plan of a skinny persons' world. You would make over $1 billion.

There are about seven billion humans on Terra now? With $100 USD a pop, there should be a chance to make over a billion in U.S. currency.

Many variables can still be plugged in. This is if a person only buys the pill once.

People can gain about a pound of weight a day. If the pill helps someone lose 30 pounds, then he or she will probably buy a pill every 30 days.[/quote']

that's assuming everyone on the planet needs such a pill...

on the other hand, if you can make the pill to be taken monthly, you have a very good product on your hands!

Let's say that I discovered something that would completely, positively, scientificly proven product that burned fat until a person was down to a healthy weight. How much money would a company give someone that came up with something like this? Seeing as how if something like this was discovered and sold to a company, they would stand to make billions, I would think 50-100 million would sound like a reasonable price.

Nah..maximum 15 to 20 million if that for your entire company, shared with all of your investors (university, venture capitalist, angel investors) and you. (your cut..probably a 2 mil) Once you have sufficient pre-clinical proof of concept, a large pharma will probably buy you out..and most likely you'll sell, because they have the resources to do the clinical (phase I, II, III) parts of drug development which is VERY expensive. Not to mention the branding, and pre-launch activities. Rare today do biotechs make it to clinical fruition without being asorbed by a big pharma

Most of your money would come later on, as other biotechs bring you on to their advisory board since you would have had a demonstrated track record.

However, if you are able to get sufficent investments/loans and you make it to IPO with major drug launch..then you're cashing in big time.

Of course none of this is easy. Most scientist are not businessman and VCs are fully aware of this. Most often the inventor is not in charge of the company they found!! VCs step in eventually and take over management.

Figure out a cheap way to get fresh water from sea water and you will be the richest man in the world.

a big bowl, a small bowl, some plastic wrap, and some ice cubes.....where's my money?????

While you are dreaming, why not discover cold fusion while you are at it?

I already discovered that, all we have to do is hop in my spaceship and travel back to my storage planet, Almadeup! That's where I leave all my great inventions.