Intelligence and Race

blike

alt_f13 said in post #25 :

You have no idea how many violent thoughts came to mind whilst reading your thread.  I have abstained from writing them for fear of bannishment from the forum, but believe me, you should be happy you are not standing beside me at this very moment.

Friggin white people. Always tryin' to keep the black man down.

Wow, what would you do, hit me? Beat me up? Let me guess your black right? You would just go to jail, which probably wouldn't be so bad man, after all 80% of your cell mates would be fellow "blacks" like yourself, and you know how nice and friendly "they" are. :D

And I wish you would stop generalizing poor people, they're not all ignorant "blacks" and Latinos, guess what I'm poor! I live in a city where blacks greatly outnumber the whites! I went to a predominately black high school! I unlike many of my fellow high school students got a College prep diploma and actually went to college! Don't feed me this bullshit on how the black man is held down. A lot of my high school black friends worked a lot harder than me, some of them worked two jobs , but they always seemed to buy "urban gear" :rolleyes: and twenty inch rims :eek: which clearly shows where their priorities were. I worked for "the rich white man" making 5.15 an hour had to be driven there by my parents or my brother, my wardrobe consisted of 2 pairs of pants around 5 white fruit of the loom t-shirts, and 4 thermal shirts. Do you see me bitching about how the white man is bringing me down? If anything it makes me work harder.

For those people you claim are unintelligent, and merely motivated. This is exactly my point. Blacks are not lacking in the mental ability, it's their attitudes (motivations) that hold them back. They don’t seem to realize this and I’m afraid this pattern will continue. If you read through my post I never called blacks unintelligent. So I'm not really sure why you got so mad about it.

'but they always seemed to buy "urban gear" and twenty inch rims which clearly shows where their priorities were'

You could write a thesis on that astounding piece of social commentary. really.

'You would just go to jail, which probably wouldn't be so bad man, after all 80% of your cell mates would be fellow "blacks" like yourself, and you know how nice and friendly "they" are.'

Please dont post stuff like this. In fact Ignore the word please in that sentence, Im warning you not to post stuff like this. Post deletion, user warning and eventual banning will result.

T_FLeX said in post #27 :

my wardrobe consisted of 2 pairs of pants around 5 white fruit of the loom t-shirts, and 4 thermal shirts. Do you see me bitching about how the white man is bringing me down?

When I read that, I laughed so much that people in the office stared at me.

Whoa!

C`mon guys, this is a scientific chat here with merit, lets try not bring it down to something less than :)

black, white, red, hispanic, asian whatever, we`re all essentialy the same, and just coz a factual observation was made, don`t make it a world war (never met anyone green tho, `cept this one chick at a party the once in 84, different story tho....)

Chill yo!

T_FLeX said in post #27 :

Wow, what would you do, hit me? Beat me up? Let me guess your black right? You would just go to jail, which probably wouldn't be so bad man, after all 80% of your cell mates would be fellow "blacks" like yourself, and you know how nice and friendly "they" are. :D

And I wish you would stop generalizing poor people, they're not all ignorant "blacks" and Latinos, guess what I'm poor! I live in a city where blacks greatly outnumber the whites! I went to a predominately black high school! I unlike many of my fellow high school students got a College prep diploma and actually went to college! Don't feed me this bullshit on how the black man is held down. A lot of my high school black friends worked a lot harder than me, some of them worked two jobs , but they always seemed to buy "urban gear" :rolleyes: and twenty inch rims :eek: which clearly shows where their priorities were. I worked for "the rich white man" making 5.15 an hour had to be driven there by my parents or my brother, my wardrobe consisted of 2 pairs of pants around 5 white fruit of the loom t-shirts, and 4 thermal shirts. Do you see me bitching about how the white man is bringing me down? If anything it makes me work harder.

For those people you claim are unintelligent, and merely motivated. This is exactly my point. Blacks are not lacking in the mental ability, it's their attitudes (motivations) that hold them back. They don’t seem to realize this and I’m afraid this pattern will continue. If you read through my post I never called blacks unintelligent. So I'm not really sure why you got so mad about it.

First of all, that white man keeping the black man down was a joke, thus the small print instead of my stating it with conviction. 

Blacks are not lacking in the mental ability, it's their attitudes (motivations) that hold them back.

That is the generalizing I am talking about right there.  That is the most BS blanket statement I have read on this forum.  THAT is the reason I got mad.  If I said "all white men are rednecks" that would be complete and utter crap.  Although, after visiting Washington a few times I would be inclined to say "almost every single American I have met is a redneck."

Don't get me wrong, I am an American citizen, and my last comment withstands me having lived in Cleveland, Oakley CA and Concord CA, and visiting San Fran wasn't much better.  But I digress.

I want to put this into perspective for you.  Where you live it may be predominantly black people you describe as unmotivated.  I could liken that thought to the native reserves near where I live where they have financial aid out the wazoo, but still live in carboard shacks and very few of them go to college, and many of them don't graduate highschool.  But I know it is ONLY the reserve itself that promotes this.  That amtosphere is depressing and hurts the people who live there.

But every native I've met outside of that kind of environtment has been an educated, upstanding person, and many times, had a degree or two.  When I hear anyone talk about an entire race of people in such a blanket manner such as the way you have, it makes me question their reasoning abilities. 

I would like to keep that kind of nonsense out of the forums.

Much of the brain's development comes right before puberty and gears that person for the kind of processing they are liable to do for the rest of their lives.  In a reserve or ghetto, the kind of stimulation that would "motivate" a person to want to learn and seek out more intellectually stimulating situations would most likely not be there, and thus a persons brain might not be receptive to that kind of thinking.

I am a bit surprised at blike having started this thread, but I can understand what he was getting at, and this is quite off the beaten path.

Believe me when I say, T_FLeX, your experience is not anything close to sample material for what blike was suggesting, and it sounded to me like prejudice.

Edit-- I'm not suggesting you are an outright racist.  But there was a bit of acid on your tongue in your original post.  Just wanted to clarify. (talking to TF)

Edit again-- I just reread your original post.  You belong the south.  I renounce my previous statement.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, to actually be able to predict one's intelligence is fairly simple.

My teacher told me this.

The more furrows or folds that your cortex of your brain has, the more intelligent you are. This is beacause the folds increases the surface area whereby neurons are able to transmits and "talk" with other neurons more efficiently.

Ya and basically that's it. Just go for an X-ray of the brain of subjects and concluded their intelligent.

Actually. i believe that social status does not contribute to your intelligence. But it is the social environment that affects our intelligence.

Well, i saw an uproar about slavery and stuff and i think that beacause of the undevelopment of African countries and rapid corruption and bad governing that caused such things to happen. It just happens that US was developing better than African countries and so they think that they can rule over the Blacks. I would just have to say that the Blacks did not have a better opportunity than the whites to learn. Because African countries at that time had different cultures and there was no major force to encourage them to learn or study.

I would say that is fate.

And one last thing. Asian as someone stated in their post, are intelligent not really, very much owe to the point that we are hungry for knowledge and stuff. But rather, Asian Countries (not including China) had very little resources compared to the USA and European countries.

The only thing that we have is human resources. So, in order to have human resources, we humans have to be implanted with knowledge and etc. Then, we are of value. (Well, this situation is very much in Singapore as we are a small country with very limited amount of resources. We can only survive on Human's intelligence. And, that comes from the important emphasis on education.

Ya, i think this is pretty much.

The only thing that we have is human resources. So, in order to have human resources, we humans have to be implanted with knowledge and etc. Then, we are of value. (Well, this situation is very much in Singapore as we are a small country with very limited amount of resources. We can only survive on Human's intelligence. And, that comes from the important emphasis on education.

Wow, what a marvelous insight! I had not considered this beofre. Thank you for pointing that out. Cool. :D

gene said in post #33 :

Actually. i believe that social status does not contribute to your intelligence. But it is the social environment that affects our intelligence. 

I agree entirely...generally social status contributes greatly to environment.  That is what I was trying to get at.

How you will end up brain wise has alot to do with development in the early years and the teenage years, as that is when the brain is most effected and geared towards what it is taking in.  If you survived on TV or gangfights, and not really taking much information in due to whatever cause, then that is what you are geared to do.

gene said in post #33 :

Ok, to actually be able to predict one's intelligence is fairly simple.

My teacher told me this.

The more furrows or folds that your cortex of your brain has, the more intelligent you are. This is beacause the folds increases the surface area whereby neurons are able to transmits and "talk" with other neurons more efficiently.

Ya and basically that's it. Just go for an X-ray of the brain of subjects and concluded their intelligent.

It's a nice idea, but I'm afraid your teacher is wrong. Whilst the gyri and sulci do increase the area of the cortex, cortical area is a poor correlate of intelligence.

Your socioeconomic status to a large extent determines your social environment, which, in turn determines to a large extent the type of things you will be exposed to as you grow up. Of course, SES is not the rigid barrier it used to be. People have much more choice concerning what they experience now. But if all you know is TV soap, computer games and the pub, it's less likely you will search out more stimulating things.