evolution of molecules

rakuenso

this may sound slightly retarded, but i've been wondering, can you technically say that molecules are also evolving? We started with simple molecules like H2O and elements like Carbon, eventually they "evolved" to complex things like carbs and what not?

this may sound slightly retarded, but i've been wondering, can you technically say that molecules are also evolving? We started with simple molecules like H2O and elements like Carbon, eventually they "evolved" to complex things like carbs and what not?

You can say that they're changing, perhaps in some progression. But, I don't think 'evolve' would be the most accurate term to use.

You can say that they're changing, perhaps in some progression. But, I don't think 'evolve' would be the most accurate term to use.

It is neccessary to define what you mean by Evolve in each instance when you use that term. After all, evolve actually means change (evolvere is latin for 'to unroll or to move'). But what type of change? Precisely how do chemicals change? And in what direction do they change?