"Click Here for Spyware Protection Popups"

AzurePhoenix

Basically, that's my problem. My anti-virus systems don't detect any problems, I've gone over everything with Spybot, and I'm still getting these random popups that are telling me I'm infected and should buy their system. And admittedly I'm a complete idiot when it comes to computers, so I don't know which end is up.

The pop-ups are lying - they're just trying to sell their products, they don't really know if there are any viruses on your computer. (I believe) Do yourself a favor and get a good pop-up blocker and AVG (I just happen to like it better then spybot).

What browser are you using?

The pop-ups are lying - they're just trying to sell their products' date=' they don't really know if there are any viruses on your computer. (I believe) Do yourself a favor and get a good pop-up blocker and AVG (I just happen to like it better then spybot).

What browser are you using?[/quote'] Indeed, I know they're lying.... how I loathe them....

I use Firefox, but as for the other things I'm basically limited to what I can do for free; are those programs things that I can at least hope to get cost-free?

Eh, AVG is an anti virus... spybot is an anti-spyware prog... totally different things. [edit] aww, Cap'n beat me to it! And I assumed so regarding the rest of your post Cap'n.

Have you got Ad Aware? If not go here and get it:

http://www.download.com/3405-8022-5153545.html?part=dl-ad-aware&subj=dl&tag=top5

basically instal that and run it. When it first starts click Check For Updates (just above where it says Start) then once it has updated click Start. Make sure "Perform full system scan" is the ticked box, click Next. Once it has scanned just tick all the boxes and click Next.

Oh, and if you could tell us what it found then that might be useful if your prob aint fixed.

These are popups that are coming up with or without a browser open, right?

Oh, that's what he meant. Sorry, I call them pop-ups but they are actually on my computer, whether or not the internet is up.

-----

Thanks 56, I'll do that

Indeed, I know they're lying.... how I loathe them....

hmm... if you have firefox, then you probably shouldn't get the pop-ups in the first place. That's strange.

edit: sorry didn't see most recent post

I use Firefox, but as for the other things I'm basically limited to what I can do for free; are those programs things that I can at least hope to get cost-free?

I hear you... I haven't paid for anything on my computer since I bought it :)

Here's AVG Free edition

edit: Are the pop-ups opening in the internet explorer or firefox browser? Yeah... Ad-aware should take care of it either way. That's an excellent program.

I don't think she needs to get AVG if she has already got a good anti virus (AV).... which one are you currently running?

Also I would not expect an AV to stop this thing because it is spyware and an AV is anti-virus, not anti-spyware. The boundaries cross a bit and some AVs can stop some spyware, but generally they cannot. Hence you need an AV and an anti-spyware prog. Ad Aware and Spybot are both popular free ones, I prefer Ad Aware personally.

These are popups that are coming up with or without a browser open' date=' right?

ecoli: AVG and Spybot are not comparable. AVG is an antivirus, Spybot is for spyware.[/quote']

yep I knew that... the OP confused me though. It sounded like an adware problem, but she was talking about anti-virus software. Sorry about that.

are the pop-ups browser pop-ups, or are they balloon-pop-ups coming from the system tray, or java-script pop-ups? also, what's the name of the fake anti-spyware?

Some of these fake anti-spyware's are a pain in the but to remove btw.

[edit] also, has smithfraud/smitfraud been mentioned atall, eg by the pop-ups or by spybot?[/edit]

And if you dunno what Dak is talking about then can you just take a screenshot of one when it comes up? When you can see it on the screen press Prt Scr (it's next to F12 or above Insert) and then go to Paint and press Paste and your screen will magically appear in Paint! Then you can just save it (as JPEG) and attach it to your post, if you reply in Advanced mode (not the quick reply thing) then there's an option to attach files).

are the pop-ups browser pop-ups, or are they balloon-pop-ups coming from the system tray, or java-script pop-ups? also, what's the name of the fake anti-spyware?
Balloons :-(

And if you dunno what Dak is talking about then can you just take a screenshot of one when it comes up? When you can see it on the screen press Prt Scr (it's next to F12 or above Insert) and then go to Paint and press Paste and your screen will magically appear in Paint! Then you can just save it (as JPEG) and attach it to your post, if you reply in Advanced mode (not the quick reply thing) then there's an option to attach files).
I'd do that for you (and I already know how to take screenshots:-p ), but I took your adware advice and now the problems are gone :D

Thankee for the help, and I'll be sure to keep an eye out for any other related issues just to sate my paranoia.

No probs... this is why I prefer Ad Aware over Spybot. Keep Ad Aware, keep it updated and use it occasionally, it's a good prog.

Just being careful with the screenshots, better I say than you having to sound stoopid asking!