Network Connections

ecoli

For some reason, my network connection's folder is blank. My LAN connection is fine, but the wireless (on my laptop) isn't. I ran through a bunch of trouble shooting techniques http://support.microsoft.com/kb/825826/

,but none of them worked.

I'm running Windows XP Home sp2...

Also, I can't get out of Windows classic mode, even through my Window's themes say's in the "XP theme." I wonder if those two problems are related. Thanks.

my list of problems is expanding. My printer also doesn't work. I downloaded and installed the latest printer drivers, but my computer still isn't recognising the fact that my printer is connected. I go to "Faxes and Printers" in the control panel and I try to "add new printer" but it tells me that the Print Spooler service isn't running. What is that? and could these problems be related? They all seem to a problem with drivers.

Ah the joys of windows crashing and burning :'(

Got an uptodate virus scanner installed and running, and run a full system scan recently?

The print spooler is a service (background application) that controls all the printing stuff for windows.

Printer spooler:

Start > Run > Services.msc > scroll down to Print Spooler > ensure right click/properties startup type is set to Automatic and then > apply/ok > making sure Print Spooler is highlighted click Start (up/left a bit of the highlighted part.

You say your LAN is fine but not on your laptop, what do you mean? You mean you can access the net on your desktop PC but not on your laptop? And where are all the problems? Did you get an update or new soft/hardware recently that could have mucked up things like drivers? Can you not just add a new network connection?

Printer spooler:

Start > Run > Services.msc > scroll down to Print Spooler > ensure right click/properties startup type is set to Automatic and then > apply/ok > making sure Print Spooler is highlighted click Start (up/left a bit of the highlighted part.

Thanks... print spooler is now working. :)

You say your LAN is fine but not on your laptop' date=' what do you mean? You mean you can access the net on your desktop PC but not on your laptop? And where are all the problems? Did you get an update or new soft/hardware recently that could have mucked up things like drivers? Can you not just add a new network connection?[/quote']

Sorry for the confusion. I mean that the LAN on my laptop IS working, but not the wireless connection on my laptop. Wireless is enabled in my router settings, but it doesn't appear on the DHCP client list.

The icons in my "Network connections" are missing and creating a new connection does nothing.

Also, this may be an unrelated problem, my start menu theme is set at Windows Classic, even though, in Display Properties, is says the theme is "Windows XP." Thanks.

Did you do what Klaynos said? Do an AV (anti virus) scan... maybe even spyware scan with Ad-Aware or the like.

What do you mean the LAN is working but the wireless connection isn't? How can you connect to the LAN if not through a wireless connection?

Creating a new network doesn't help... strange.

You said your start bar is classical.... so right click on the start bar (in the main middle part, not on a program tab though) > Properties > Start Menu tab > and then you got the two options there. I assume you want the top one and you can Customise it if you want.

That network one is still weird, not quite sure why. Still not quite sure what you can and can't do... you seem to have LAN but no wireless... can you browse the net? View other people on the LAN? ping google? Go to Start > Run > type: cmd > in the black "DOS" box type:

ping http://www.google.com

and see what it says.

Oh, and one last thing, did your laptop used to work perfectly and then it suddenly stopped? Or is it a new laptop that you have never got to work? Or a new network or router?

Did you do what Klaynos said? Do an AV (anti virus) scan... maybe even spyware scan with Ad-Aware or the like.

I've run some spyware, yes. so I don't think that's the problem.

What do you mean the LAN is working but the wireless connection isn't? How can you connect to the LAN if not through a wireless connection?

With an ethernet cable.

Creating a new network doesn't help... strange.

yep

You said your start bar is classical.... so right click on the start bar (in the main middle part, not on a program tab though) > Properties > Start Menu tab > and then you got the two options there. I assume you want the top one and you can Customise it if you want.

The top one is chosen, but it still has the 'classical' windows look anyway.

That network one is still weird, not quite sure why. Still not quite sure what you can and can't do... you seem to have LAN but no wireless... can you browse the net? View other people on the LAN? ping google? Go to Start > Run > type: cmd > in the black "DOS" box type:

ping www.google.com

and see what it says.

It pings fine because I'm using a wired ethernet connection connected directly to a router.

Oh, and one last thing, did your laptop used to work perfectly and then it suddenly stopped? Or is it a new laptop that you have never got to work? Or a new network or router?

It's been working fine, and then my internet stopped working (http://www.scienceforums.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20349) and then this happened. I suppose it could be related, because I never did figure out what was wrong the first time.

Did you try customise for the Start Bar?

The Theme in Display Properties has nothing to do with the Start Bar, as far as I know, so it's only the Properties you get when you right click on the start bar.

=====

So you're currently connected via an ethernet cable, but your wireless doesn't work.

Does your wired connection come up in Network Connections?

I don't think the computer will like trying to connect to the LAN in two ways. So if you want to try and get the wireless working then you don't really wanna be plugged in via a cable as well.

I don't really know too much about wireless connections as I do not have one and do not intend to get one for a variet of reasons (hard to troubleshoot, more expensive, security issues etc.) but that doesn't really help you.

Still not sure, lets see if anyone else has any ideas.

Aren't laptops supposed to automatically detect wireless networks they are in range of? Is that an option that could be turned off?

Did you try customise for the Start Bar?

The Theme in Display Properties has nothing to do with the Start Bar' date=' as far as I know, so it's only the Properties you get when you right click on the start bar.[/quote']

I'm not sure what's going with that... but it's not really my main concern right now anyway.

So you're currently connected via an ethernet cable, but your wireless doesn't work.

Correct

Does your wired connection come up in Network Connections?

nope, it just opens up as blank window.

I don't think the computer will like trying to connect to the LAN in two ways. So if you want to try and get the wireless working then you don't really wanna be plugged in via a cable as well.

I know... the wireless still doesn't work with the ethernet cable unplugged.

I don't really know too much about wireless connections as I do not have one and do not intend to get one for a variet of reasons (hard to troubleshoot, more expensive, security issues etc.) but that doesn't really help you.

That's ok... thanks for trying.

Still not sure, lets see if anyone else has any ideas.

Aren't laptops supposed to automatically detect wireless networks they are in range of? Is that an option that could be turned off?

Yes, but it's not detecting the wireless network either.

I fixed some problems... it turns out, I made a mistake during my original troubleshoot. For some reason, the "network connections" service was disabled, and I thought I started it again, but I guess I didn't turn it on correctly. So that's working now!

I'm still having problems.. maybe they're all related to services that have been stopped.

Why have system critical services been stopped (e.g. print spooler and network services)?

What problems are you still having?

Maybe some kind of graphics or effects service has been stopped which changes your start bar.

control panel > system > Advanced tab > performance/settings > just tick all the boxes... that's how they are by default, maybe if one is unticked then the start bar will go back to classic... but I really don't think it would be. In fact I think this piece of advice is crap, but you may as well just look!

Maybe some other service like Wireless Zero Configuration has been disabled and you need to have it enabled/automatic.

Why have system critical services been stopped (e.g. print spooler and network services)?

I wish I knew.

What problems are you still having?

Start menu is still in classic mode.

Also, I go to "veiw wireless networks" and I try to connect to my network. It tries to connect but then it stops and it says that's it "Not Connected." However, this can't be true, because I can ping to googe without my ethernet cable plugged in. Basically, my computer is telling me that the wireless isn't working, but it really is.

Maybe some kind of graphics or effects service has been stopped which changes your start bar.

control panel > system > Advanced tab > performance/settings > just tick all the boxes... that's how they are by default, maybe if one is unticked then the start bar will go back to classic... but I really don't think it would be. In fact I think this piece of advice is crap, but you may as well just look!

nope, they're all ticked.

Maybe some other service like Wireless Zero Configuration has been disabled and you need to have it enabled/automatic.

it's started.

thanks for the help, 5614

Right so start menu is still classic and your computer says you're not connected but you can browse the Internet and view other computers on the LAN?

I don't know how much help I can be now because I'm not familiar with wireless networks. Or at least not familiar enough to troubleshoot remotely.

Well if the Internet/network all works fine who really cares what the computer thinks?

Try going to start bar > properties (right click one) and then setting that option box to Classical Start menu and apply/ok and then change it back.

Well if the Internet/network all works fine who really cares what the computer thinks?

Try going to start bar > properties (right click one) and then setting that option box to Classical Start menu and apply/ok and then change it back.

That worked for the layout, but the colors are still wrong... it's the grey color of the Window's Classical with the layout of XP. Weird.

Ah, so now go to Display Properties and ensure that is on Windows XP.

Ah, and then try this:

desktop > right click > properties > Appearance tab > Windows and buttons: Windows XP style > apply/ok.

Err, that's weird.

On Display Properties the Theme (theme tab) is set to Windows XP right? And then you go along to the Appearance tab and under Windows and Buttons you can only chose Classic? I've got Windows XP style too.

Aww crap, now my Start bar is all grey! But it's easy to fix for me because I have a theme saved, so I can just do that... ah, wanna try out my theme? Just unzip the attached file and then in Display Properties under Themes chose Browse and find my one. Obviously the desktop image won't work becaue you don't have the image I have stored on your computer.

Oh, and before you do that I suggest you go to Themes and chose Save As and save your current one, just in case mine does dodgy stuff for you and you wanna just go back to how it was before you applied my theme.

Also in future keep a saved version of your Theme... that way whenever you screw up a visual option you can always just reapply your good old theme.

JMM Apr 2006.zip

Err' date=' that's weird.

On Display Properties the Theme (theme tab) is set to Windows XP right?[/quote']

no... it's missing from there too

And then you go along to the Appearance tab and under Windows and Buttons you can only chose Classic? I've got Windows XP style too.

/me is jealouse.

Aww crap, now my Start bar is all grey! But it's easy to fix for me because I have a theme saved, so I can just do that... ah, wanna try out my theme? Just unzip the attached file and then in Display Properties under Themes chose Browse and find my one. Obviously the desktop image won't work becaue you don't have the image I have stored on your computer.

ok, thanks.

Oh, and before you do that I suggest you go to Themes and chose Save As and save your current one, just in case mine does dodgy stuff for you and you wanna just go back to how it was before you applied my theme.

ok, will do.

Also in future keep a saved version of your Theme... that way whenever you screw up a visual option you can always just reapply your good old theme.

yep, thanks for the advice.

no... it's missing from there too
WHAT?!? Has your computer been taking drugs again?!

This is the kinda thing that reinstalling Windows (without a format) should fix because it resets all the theme stuff. So when I reinstall Windows I just reapply my theme because it's saved. The other thing you'd need to do is get all the updates again. I think reinstalling Windows might be a bit extreme for this though.

I wonder what my theme will do if you do not have Windows XP style. Ah, I've had an idea. If my computer says there's a Windows XP style it must be stored as a .theme file somewhere, I'll try and find it, gimme a sec.

[edit] weird, there is no .theme file for Windows XP, there is one for Windows Classic though... the winXP one must be integrated into the system somehow.

So if your get up Display Properties what can you select under the drop down list shown here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v601/5614/dsktpprop.jpg

like where it says JMM for me, click on that you should get a drop down list, no Windows XP? There should be a browse from which you can select my theme file.

WHAT?!? Has your computer been taking drugs again?!

I wouldn't doubt it.

This is the kinda thing that reinstalling Windows (without a format) should fix because it resets all the theme stuff. So when I reinstall Windows I just reapply my theme because it's saved. The other thing you'd need to do is get all the updates again. I think reinstalling Windows might be a bit extreme for this though.

I wonder what my theme will do if you do not have Windows XP style. Ah, I've had an idea. If my computer says there's a Windows XP style it must be stored as a .theme file somewhere, I'll try and find it, gimme a sec.

ok... ty

Mine is the same except it also has one called "Windows XP".

Does the Start Bar now work properly? According to my theme it would all be red and XP style.

Moving onto the Appearance tab. Mine actually uses the Classical and I'm guessing you're gonna want to use winXP one, see here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v601/5614/winxp.jpg

but you can't see/click that can you?