If man is in Gods image?????

pretender

I think the belief is because humans were given free will and the chance to become deified, we are thought to be fasioned in God's image unlike animals such as dinosaurs who do not have the ability to moral choices etc.

The statment shouldn't be taken literally as in God looks like a human.

One needs to interpret the bible symbolically instead of literally. The literal interpretation implies God physically looks like a man. The symbolic interpretation is that our minds work in a similar way. In bible tradition the angles see humans as something higher than themselves because God put so much effort into humans, yet humans see the angles higher than themselves. What this paradox shows is the true image of God is innate but dormant within most humans. There is another side, which is lower than this ideal image of God. The tendancy for many people to associated the image of God with something superfisical like appearance, shows their connection to God is more a surface phenomena different from the ideal image of God.

I just asumed it was a way of keepimg us in line and faith????????

But if it was meant to be taken literally, how would that be an incentive to uphold our faith and make the right moral choices in life?

So how does God look like? Does He even have an image?Literally.

Hmm...so you have to read between the lines in order to know the real message of the bible, eh? Interesting...Hmm...you should, actually. something as holy as the bible shouldn't be read like the way we read an advertisement...or an obituary...a phone number...etc

We won't learn anything or understand anything in what we read if we don't see and read the underlying meaning.

From what I know of first testement times, there was no physical image of God, God was seenas a force or spirit without physical form. Thus the line "made in Gods Image" can not be taken as a literal statement (or we would have no physical form).

The origin of the Image of God as a big bearded man in the clouds came about because of attempts to render the concept of God artistically. IIRC it was once considdered blasphemous to even attempt to depict the image of God.

But doesn't the bible state death? Genesis 3:19 - "In the sweat of your face you shall eat bread till you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken; you are dust, and to dust you shall return."

The bible like any book is mans interpretation of ideas. not fact, History is one mans idea of what happened, if you asked 2 people today to write what happened in a given place you would have 2 stories of the same incident. So as for the bible, it may be true it may not, I guess we will find out in the end... but religious groups rule by fear and the unknown and always have..

That I guess is the mystery, and why we are afraid. Someone said that everyone wants a long life, but no one wants to get old. But when you thik of it,its the ony system that brings new life.. Its fear of the unknown..

I guess we'll never know until we die. But then, we won't be alive if we're dead. We won't have any thoughts at all since our brain is dead. We won't be able to talk. We won't be able to do anything but be dead.

The origin of the Image of God as a big bearded man in the clouds came about because of attempts to render the concept of God artistically. IIRC it was once considdered blasphemous to even attempt to depict the image of God.

The same still holds true in Islam. They do not have depictions of their prophets or Allah. They only have okir and patterned art.

The Roman Catholics are fond of idols, depictions of Christ etc. They also have saints and everything. I should know, I was born one. But the thing is I never pictured God as the sculpture hanging from his cross in church. In fact I do not have a mental picture of him at all. For me, he is an entity. I think that's as far as I have discerned.

I feel unnerved everytime I see a fellow RC kiss a sculpture of Christ or some other saint. That rock there is lifeless!

I guess we'll never know until we die. But then, we won't be alive if we're dead. We won't have any thoughts at all since our brain is dead. We won't be able to talk. We won't be able to do anything but be dead.

Well, if we don't consider an afterlife, that would be the case. Death would be indeed equals to dust. We would decompose eventually, and the consciousness, the electronic impulses in the brain all gone, lifeless, empty, barren, dead.

If that be the case, I'd rather be thrown into the forest to rot than to get buried inside a coffin. I'd rather contribute to the environment. I would die thinking, a part of me, even if it did not have consciousness, but a part that simply constituted me, like amino acids or some rich nutrient continues on to propagate other life.

To be a part of a tree. To be in the flesh of animals...dead, but a part of that which is life!

This thread is so off-topic it's pathetic. And the topic, If man is in God's image then who's image were the dinosaurs in, was pathetic to begine with. It slipped back into man in God's image and now we're into the afterlife and reincarnation.

Even for Speculations this is a weird thread. Pretender, as the thread starter we look to you for direction. Please figure out where you want this to go, rambling doesn't work for me.