MSDS not enough!!!

KFC

I want to know with detail (like they kill your veins then you internally bleed or something like that) what happens ingest, inhale, or come in contacted with skin these chemicals?

Ammonium Nitrate

Ammonium Chlorate

Ammonium Perchlorate

Potassium Nitrate

Potassium Chlorate

Potassium Perchlorate

Cadmium

Chlorine

Fluorine

White Phosphorus

Arsenic

Hydrogen Cyanide

Mustard Gas

Fill free to ask about the toxicity of other chemicals in this forum.

This might belong in medicine.

Ammonium Nitrate: Not really toxic. Nitrate ion, however, to a small extent is converted to nitrite, and that in turn is converted to nitrosamine compounds, which are carcinogens.

Ammonium Chlorate: Oxidizer. Produces chlorine and chlorine dioxide in your stomach, which damages the inside of your stomach. When this comes in the blood stream, it may also oxidize haemoglobin irreveribly, making it unsuitable for exchange of oxygen.

Ammonium Perchlorate: Not really toxic. Perchlorate ion does not react in the body.

Potassium Nitrate: See ammonium nitrate.

Potassium Chlorate: See ammonium chlorate.

Potassium Perchlorate: See ammonium perchlorate.

Cadmium: Affects metabolism (resembles zinc) and may replace zinc at certain places. I'm no expert on this, but this appears to be VERY dangerous. I do not know why.

Chlorine: Corrosive to tissue. Destroys tissue and that is the main toxic effect (local toxicity).

Fluorine: As chlorine, even worse. Besides that, fluoride ion, formed in the reaction, interferes with your bones. It forms fluorophosphates, instead of normal phosphates or hydroxyphosphates. That makes your bones weak and brittle. It also affects metabolism of many cells, mainly due to formation of fluorocomplexes. So, even fluoride is very toxic, while the other halogenide ions are not or only to a very limited extent.

White Phosphorus: Intensely poisonous. I do not know why.

Arsenic: Intensely poisonous. Its main mode of operation is replacement of phosphorous by arsenic (these elements form very similar compounds), but the properties of these arsenic compounds are not precisely the same as the properties of their phosphorus counterparts. This messes up many metabolic processes in our body. Phosphate-compounds play a major role in metabolic processes and one should not tamper with that.

Hydrogen Cyanide: Cyanide forms a complex with iron very easily and does this irreversibly. It acts on iron-containing enzymes, which support the transfer of oxygen (not mainly haemoglobin, but other compounds).

Mustard Gas: Very poisonous, but I do not know why.

Cadmium also has effects on the cell membrane permeability I think, but zinc is in so many enzymes (I think the most of all transition metals) that you'd expect it to have multiple effects.

HCN mainly works by blocking cytochrome oxidase, which kills the electron transport chain so no more aerobic ATP production.

Mustard gas causes blistering, which if severe enough will kill you. There are no immediate problems, but after a few hours the symptoms start to show up and gradually worsen. It forms a very electrophilic molecule in the body. Obviously with so many nucleophilic molecules in the cell there are lots of potential reactions. One thing it does do is lead to the alkylation of DNA, which then sets off a series of cellular reactions which supposedly cause blistering.

I will do my usual, do a quick search of Wikipedia, it normally has atleast basic information about compounds, their uses, etc. Other then that Google for the compound to see if you can find anything, if not then look for a good book and ask here :D

I know the question was answered I just wanted to add these as they are always useful for reference :) Also, always go on the side of caution with these untill you find information about them.

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

mustard gas blisters because it readily eliminates chloride, forming a 3 membered sulfonium ring with the sulfur atom and one of the two adjacent ethyl groups. this ring reacts with guanine (so it is a carcinogen), and is in general very electrophilic, as skye said, so it performs many reactions in the body.

White Phosphorus: Intensely poisonous. I do not know why.

Maybe Skye can clear it up but maybe its something relating to the fact that phosphate ([ce]PO4^{3-}[/ce]) is an esential part of DNA, if this normal phosphate were substituted for a phosphate with the white phosphorus allotrope would it have a siginificant effect? Could that have something to do with it? The again, maybe it messed with ATP production and breakdown?

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

the phospahtes would be the same

remember allotropes are different structures in the elemental form.

But thats not nessisarily so. Consider the difference in reacitivity between red phosphorus (quite stable) and white phosphorus (combusts in air). So could these be a carry on effect of this reactivity later in stages of its intergration in the body?

I have no idea I'm just trying to guess as too a possible cause :)

Like I said maybe someone else has a better idea but I;m guessing its something relating to the differing properties of the white allotrope to the red one...

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

No, the phosporous in the phosphate (and also in the ATP, ADP and other materials) has nothing to do with white or red P. If I burn red P, then I get P2O5. If I burn white P, I also get P2O5, and the latter is not different from the former. Both give phosphate with water and alkalies and these phosphates are just phosphate and one cannot speak of 'phosphate, derived from red P' and 'phosphate, derived from white P'. Once you have phosphate, one cannot tell anymore from which allotrope of the element it is made.

No, the phosporous in the phosphate (and also in the ATP, ADP and other materials) has nothing to do with white or red P. If I burn red P, then I get P2O5. If I burn white P, I also get P2O5, and the latter is not different from the former. Both give phosphate with water and alkalies and these phosphates are just phosphate and one cannot speak of 'phosphate, derived from red P' and 'phosphate, derived from white P'. Once you have phosphate, one cannot tell anymore from which allotrope of the element it is made.

Yes I understand that, I was using that example to try and think of ideas why it would be so toxic compared with the red version of phosphorus...

Cheers,

Ryan Jones