Graphics card blunder

Royston

Last night, my house mate gave me an unwanted graphics card as his pc wasn't the right spec to run it properly. I stuck it in my pc, installed it et.c only to realize that I'd forgotten to uninstall the old graphics card...very stupid indeed.

Obviously this caused a conflict, they are both Nvidia so are likely to share similar files. I managed to get the pc into safe mode, but when I tried uninstalling the drivers...they appeared to be merged on the add/remove programs (there was only one Nvidia program) it came up with an error, and wouldn't uninstall.

NVUDISP.EXE error - restart your pc et.c

So I think through frustration (I really need my pc at the moment), I went back to safemode and deleted the Nvidia files - drivers et.c however there are clearly some loose files, mainly DLL files (which are a pet hate of mine) that aren't under the Nvidia main folder, that start with NV, and I don't want to start deleting any files which I'm not sure about. Any ideas how to remedy this, money is tight (going on holiday soon) and I really need my pc for my degree, and music...gig coming up on 6th May. Help, thanks !

EDIT: Don't ask me why, but I'm still using the ME operating system.

EDIT II: If it's any help, when I try running the pc as normal (with the previous or new graphics card) the log in screen appears, but I'm unable to get into windows.

I get what you've done, but I don't get what the current situation is.

When you boot into safe mode you see the logon screen? Is that after Windows has loaded? And then what, it freezes? Can you move the mouse or anything?

And if you boot into safe mode???

Have you tried running a Windows update which often will get drivers and stuff.

Last time you installed the new drivers your computer came up with that error message. Now you've played around with stuff how do you know there are still NVIDIA stuff on the computer? Maybe you could try reinstalling the new drivers and seeing if your deleting effort has paid off.

I'm guessing this isn't as simple as plug back in the old graphics card and then the old drivers will work.

Thanks for the response 5614, yeah basically the log on prompt appeared, but windows failed when I tried to log on...simple way of getting round it.

I went into safe mode when I got back from work today, I realised if I went through the device manager to check all the files that were connected with the new and old graphics card and deleted those files, this made sure I wasn't deleting anything that could effect any other applications. I located the ME drivers on the cd, and everything's working fine now.

PC is up and running in time for my gig, plus I have better graphics...woot!

My last post was written immediately after sorting my pc out, and when I went to shut down, the screen went black as though it was about to turn off...and that was it. Apart from a flashing cursor in the middle of the screen.

The usual message 'it's now safe to turn off' et.c doesn't appear. So when I reboot, it goes on to scan disk, which I guess you can skip, but sometimes it finds errors where the pc hasn't been shut down properly, so I usually sit through it.

It's been doing this for over a week now, anybody have any ideas what's causing this ?

Err I'm not familiar with the ME OS.

My Dad's computer (win98) sometimes used to crash on shutdown. We got used to it and the prob sorted itself out. When we formatted (for other reasons) it definately stopped, but I have a feeling it stopped before that, which would be strange because I didn't try and fix it!

I assume you have all the ME updates? If it were a common prob then there could be a patch.

How often do you get it? How often do you shutdown?

How often do you get it? How often do you shutdown?

Everynight...I'm pretty energy conscious. I'll see if there's any updates / patches that may remedy the problem. Thanks for the response !