Moon to turn RED! ;)

YT2095

News in...

across the UK and Ireland, there will be a lunar eclipse tonight starting at 11:32pm and lasting until 1:06am (sorry for such short notice).

the TOTALITY of the eclipse (visible to the naked eye) will last 24 minutes. it will appear as deep Red / Copper color :)

it`ll not be 100% total blackout, but our atmosphere WILL distort the reflected light :)

*sigh* looks like another late night for the old YT2095 ;)

Actually I think you'll ind its planet X passing through our bit of space hich will result in a temporary pole shift and resultant loss of all life on the planet. The simple astronomical explanation you gave cant possibly be right.

YT2095 said in post #1 :

it`ll not be 100% total blackout, but our atmosphere WILL distort the reflected light :)

You probably meant it right but it's not the reflected light that is distorted.

(although it changes a small bit after it passed our athmosphere a second time)

It is the light that is traveling to the moon that is distorted by our atmosphere.

It's a combination of filtering high frequenty/energy light and bending the light.

(Same like red sunset, but with a reflection)

I watched the whole show. it was spectacular! saw it naked eye, with binos and through my 8" scope. great with each one. took a few pictures by way of eyepiece projection with my digital camera. the photos didn't come out as well as I would have liked... probably due to its fast shutter speed (which is not adjustable). editing the photos only resulted in very minor contrast improvement, but not significant enough to make quality prints of.

anyway... I had a great time with the observing. my 5 yo son was just as entusiastic as I was. my 12 yo son (who has NO interest in astronomy whatsoever) even came outside and thought it was pretty cool and also liked the view of m47 through the binos and the double cluster through the scope.

I am so glad that I got to see this one considering the previous one was clouded out at my location. can't wait till the next one! well... I guess it's almost time for some good meteor showers!

clear skies!

Yup, me an the wife both saw it too, it was great!, didn`t look as red/coppery as I expected but the onset of it almost looked a purple color, did anyone else get that effect?

then it clouded over for a bit, went clear and we saw the totality :)

my cam makes things look 10x further away than they really are so I didn`t bother with it, Cool sight though :)

I just wish I`de have know sooner to post it earlier :(

Glad some enjoyed it though ;)