"mark forum read" button needed

Its pretty aggravating to try and read all the forums, only to get to the physics forums and when im done all the forums below it are no longer lit up as new comments. Can you please put all new threads as "permanant" until we mark them as read? I dont want to be rushed to try and read and reply to all the new threads that I encounter. Thank you.

At the bottom of the home-page is a "Mark all forums read" link. On each forum, you can click the "Forum Tools" pop-up menu and get an option saying "Mark this forum read".

Yes but the forums auto-read themselves after a set time. What I meant was to make the forums stay "lit up" until you press that button.

Now that I have reviewed this thread, it appeared Dave didnt even read my post but just answered to the title. Can I get an admin to respond who has actually read my post please (not trying to be too rude but it is a tad hurtful to be "autoreplied" to)? Yet again I come to this forum today and half the new posts are wiped because I have taken too long to blitz through them.

Yeah I do agree with The Peon here... it is a tad irritating if say by the time I have read through all of the Physics forum the Computer Science says that all of the threads have been read, when in fact they have not.

It would annoy me massively. If they stop being marked read becuase I've got side tracked, I use the date for the last post make in a forum to decide whethere there'll be any that I haven't read in there.

I don't think you guys are understanding how this would work.

You enter the forum all new posts are lit up. As you read them they would get marked read. Any posts you did not read during that session would remain lit as not read UNLESS you press the marked read button. So, if I read a few interesting posts and decide not to read the rest due to not having an interest, I could push the marked read button and clear the whole forum. Only by marking them read or reading the thread would it get marked read. This way I could read all the forums without having to guess which threads are new or missing some threads because they were auto marked. And besides, maybe you could simply have this feature as a User CP option for those who wish it? I would greatly appreciate beyond words if this was implemented.

I don't think you guys are understanding how this would work.

You enter the forum all new posts are lit up. As you read them they would get marked read. Any posts you did not read during that session would remain lit as not read UNLESS you press the marked read button. So' date=' if I read a few interesting posts and decide not to read the rest due to not having an interest, I could push the marked read button and clear the whole forum. Only by marking them read or reading the thread would it get marked read. This way I could read all the forums without having to guess which threads are new or missing some threads because they were auto marked. And besides, maybe you could simply have this feature as a User CP option for those who wish it? I would greatly appreciate beyond words if this was implemented.[/quote']

I understood perfectly, and my above comment still stands.

I understood perfectly, and my above comment still stands.

I don't see how. If you got side-tracked, the threads would not be marked as read, unless you wanted them to later.

Sounds like a great idea to me.

Because I don't read every thread, so I'd have to pick a time and click the link, a present they just time out and I'm happy. It'd also mean that if you where away for a week you'd have hundreds of unread threads...

Just to make a point, I don't "auto-reply" to anything on these forums. However, I misinterpreted what exactly you were asking for, so I apologise.

I think this idea might annoy a lot of people, and moreover I think it might be very hard to implement. I'll look around for options, but I'm not prepared to change the current system unless there's a significant amount of people that want this, or whether there's some kind of optional hack that can be enabled on a per-user basis.

Just to make a point' date=' I don't "auto-reply" to anything on these forums. However, I misinterpreted what exactly you were asking for, so I apologise.

I think this idea might annoy a lot of people, and moreover I think it might be very hard to implement. I'll look around for options, but I'm not prepared to change the current system unless there's a significant amount of people that want this, or whether there's some kind of optional hack that can be enabled on a per-user basis.[/quote']

It would annoy me. The same is done in phpBB3 (not yet in beta) where threads are tracked individually for read status. It's very irritating to have to Mark Forums Read so you know if you've read everything you want to read--because they're all marked Unread because you skipped a few threads.

IPB tracks the threads individually (or at least the one IPB-based forum i visit regulaly does), and i've allways found it quite usefull. tbh, i dont see the point of auto-marking threads as read after a certain time, even if they aren't read... kinda defeats the point of keeping track of which are read and which aren't.

Would it be possible, rather than the buttons next to each forum on the main page lighting up if the forum contains unread posts, to make the buttons only light up if there were posts in the forum that were created since your last visit to that forum? That way, you'd be able to easily tell which threads you'd not read, and the forum main page would flag forums containing new posts, rather than unread ones, so you wouldnt actually have to mark a forum read.

Having said all that, it's not really a big deal. the 'new posts' link is enough to figure out which posts ive read and which i havent.