Smoking Vaccine

aj47

I'm not if this has been developed further, but a few years ago a vaccine was created that allowed anti bodies to bind onto nicotine molecules in your blood. This prevented nicotene from crossing the blood brain barrier, essentialy preventing you from feeling the effects of smoking. Similar vaccines were also developed for cocaine.

see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3092690.stm

My question is, hypothetically if this vaccine was developed further to stay active for years, would it be right to vaccinate young children and babies so they could never smoke, or should everyone have the right to choose regardless?

I don't really see the point... I don't really know anybody who smokes because the nicotine makes them feel good. They smoke to be 'cool' or to fit in, and the nicotine gets them addicted.

Doesn't the nicotine in the cigarette calm anxious-ridden people? Or is the anxiety a symptom of cold turkey?

My question is, hypothetically if this vaccine was developed further to stay active for years, would it be right to vaccinate young children and babies so they could never smoke, or should everyone have the right to choose regardless?

I think smoking should'nt be allowed, period.

well they could still smoke, spliffs too, they just wouldn't get the nicotine related effects. my initial opinion is that it is a parents choice.

yep! they can still smoke packs of cigarette...it's still bad for their health whether they feel the nicotine effect or not. the parent should vaccinate them. or simply keep their children educated to the possible effects of nicotine and prevent them to smoke.

I don't really see the point... I don't really know anybody who smokes because the nicotine makes them feel good. They smoke to be 'cool' or to fit in, and the nicotine gets them addicted.

True, there are a few people who start smoking becasue it is ''cool'' but the vast majority of people smoke because nicotine is a mild stimulant/relaxant therefore makes smoking pleasurable. If this was taken away, apart from the 'cool' people, unless you liked the taste of tobacco, most people wouldn't smoke as it would be pointless. It would be like people going out and going on non-alcoholic drink binges.

Personally i'm not addicted to smoking, but I still enjoy a cigarette with a drink on the odd occasion, maybe once a month, and i'm certainly not doing it to be 'cool'

Studies show humans need to spend their money on something. These humans are spending money on objects such as cellphones or rims for their vehicle(s).

For those who are not trying to look cool, smoking is a stimulant for the mind. I think others should ban cigarettes and replace with pot; that's just my opinion.

True' date=' there are a few people who start smoking becasue it is ''cool'' but the vast majority of people smoke because nicotine is a mild stimulant/relaxant therefore makes smoking pleasurable. If this was taken away, apart from the 'cool' people, unless you liked the taste of tobacco, most people wouldn't smoke as it would be pointless. It would be like people going out and going on non-alcoholic drink binges.

[/quote']

I have never met anybody who started smoking because they enjoyed the affects. Keep in mind that I work in the fast food industry and am exposed to hundreds of smokers.

The people who smoke to relax are only anxious in the first place because they have missed a habitual cigarette that their body was expecting and is now starting withdrawal. After they smoke the body calms down as it absorbs the nicotine that it needs.

Most new smokers don't even inhale.

I actualy started smoking at age 11 (28 years ago), and it wasn`t "to be "cool"" as some seem to think is the only reason, I started out of curiosity alone, and yes I Did inhale, and yes I DID like the effect.

so that basicly shoots down some of the "theories" presented so far!

I`m under no illusion that I`m adicted, I know I am now, but I still enjoy cig non the less and have no plans of quiting anytime soon :)

so put that in yer pipe and smoke it! :P

I actualy started smoking at age 11 (28 years ago)' date=' and it wasn`t "to be "cool"" as some seem to think is the only reason, I started out of curiosity alone, and yes I Did inhale, and yes I DID like the effect.

I`m under no illusion that I`m adicted, I know I am now, but I still enjoy cig non the less and have no plans of quiting anytime soon :)

so put that in yer pipe and smoke it! :P[/quote']

And now sit back as the rest of SFN shames you for injuring your health and accuses you for being a pawn of the tabacoo industry. I personally don't care. People's choices are their own, and that includes dangerous ones.

I actualy started smoking at age 11 (28 years ago)' date=' and it wasn`t "to be "cool"" as some seem to think is the only reason, I started out of curiosity alone, and yes I Did inhale, and yes I DID like the effect.

so put that in yer pipe and smoke it! :P[/quote']

Same, though I started smoking more frequently a few years later...but it was completely curiosity, not one of my friends smoked, and they all thought I was a bit of an idiot when they saw me smoking. So it was nothing to do with peer pressure, or looking cool. The first time I smoked it made me feel spaced out, and I liked it...not trying to condone or make anyone else try it, because it's really something you shouldn't start...full stop.

I hate the fact I smoke now because I'm blatantly addicted to it, so a vaccine would be welcome (or should that be wellcome.)

Should people have a choice whether to smoke...I'm not sure, but I'd probably would wait if I had kids...explain what smoking is all about, and let them decide.

And now sit back as the rest of SFN shames you for injuring your health and accuses you for being a pawn of the tabacoo industry.

Shames me? ROFLMAO :P

I Hardly think That`s possible! didn`t you know I`m perfectly Shameless!:rolleyes:

besides, that`s TWO now, that shot your:

"I don't really know anybody who smokes because the nicotine makes them feel good. They smoke to be 'cool' or to fit in, and the nicotine gets them addicted."

Statement appart!

I told my mom I wanted to try smoking. It's not to be cool or any social reason. I'm just curious why people smoke so much despite the knowledge of the bad effects of the thing. She actually didn't say no. She told me to go ahead. She even offered to buy me a pack. She said she'd let me try so I won't be ignorant to it, just like how she allowed us-siblings, to try drinking alcoholic beverages. Then she said if I liked it, then she would let me stop and let me continue if I wish to after I get a job. She doesn't want me spending their money just for something that can kill me. But it's totally okay with her if I smoked. It doesn't bother her at all just as long as I buy it with my own money and I won't come crawling to her when the bad effects gets to me.

But I don't think I'll smoke just because I got permission from my mom. It's still bad for my health...and since i'm asthmatic...I'll kill myself if I do smoke. I don't want to die that way.

i think it is all up to the parents to decide.but i highly doubt if all will remain clean after that. it depends on the company the child will develope in the future.if all his friends smoke , he will also smoke , wether he is been given a vaccin or not.

Shames me? ROFLMAO :P

I Hardly think That`s possible! didn`t you know I`m perfectly Shameless!:rolleyes:

True... I should've said "attempts to shame you"

besides' date=' that`s TWO now, that shot your:

"I don't really know anybody who smokes because the nicotine makes them feel good. They smoke to be 'cool' or to fit in, and the nicotine gets them addicted."

Statement appart![/quote']

yep.... I shall never utter a statement like that again.