Sniff of confidence, or insecurity

Royston

Not sure if anybody has noticed this, but I've found that when you walk past somebody in the street, at work et.c usually when it's quiet, and usually when the other person is on there own (or with someone and not engaged in conversation)...they sniff just after, or when they walk past you. I get this especially near where I live, when you are the only other person about.

I can't seem to work out what prompts this 'sniff.' I noticed a couple of times where a bloke walks past and I can see him 'sizing me up' which then prompts the 'sniff'...so I presume this is an expression of confidence (I'm slim and only 5ft 10in) but I've noticed the same reaction from a whole range of different people, whatever age, sex et.c. Thing is, you can't really stop someone and ask...'why did you just sniff.' I'm pretty sure they're not even aware of it.

If nobody has noticed this...keep an ear out for the 'sniff' and please let me know if you've any thoughts on why people do this...I'm positive I'm not the only person on the planet that gets sniffed at. :)

Hmmm... interesting, and I have a possible hypothesis about this, No I`ve never noticed it myself until just, I also am a "Sniffer" :)

when I read your post sat quietly considering it and thinking back if I ever remember noticing such a thing, and with a Sniff, took myself out of this thought and was prepared to type that "I`de not noticed it myself and shouldn`t imagine that your physical dimensions would play a role etc..."

Soooo based upon that observation, the scene you set it`s quite possible that they walking alone alone may be in deep thought, then encountering someone else "Snaps" them back to "Realitry" again and outside of their heads.

often when in deep thought the breathing is slowed and shallow.

it`s quite possibly just that :)

hell, I go one further sometimes and a few have mentioned that I`m Staring or "looking through them" as if they`re not even there when I deep thinking, and sometimes get startled when something different happens :)

I think you might be onto something there...I've noticed if I'm waiting for a bus (for example) and I'm just staring into space, then I realise I'm staring at someone and they return the stare (although it's more a gaze.) I'll suddenly fidget, check the time maybe...sometimes pretend to yawn.

The 'sniff' could just be a toned down version of this.

However, I've really noticed it when there is someone quite a distance away from me, but walking towards me...and we both clearly register the other is there (perhaps move slightly to the left of the pavement (sidewalk) and the other ambles slightly to the right.) Then there is this build up before we walk past each other...and this 'sniff' comes out, as though releasing tension of some sort, as we walk past. Though not from me, I don't tend to sniff in public unless I have a cold. This is why I was wondering if it could be some kind of nervous reaction ? Though this could just be me imagining things a little (the build up bit.)

I could probably be reading into this a bit too much...but it's getting to the point now that I feel like bursting into laughter when I hear someone 'sniff' as they walk past.

well I`m only 133 pounds in weight and little shorter than you at 5 foot 9.

I`ve never noticed such a thing beyond being brought out of a reverie, or as you say "a cold".

the Sniff I do, when I`m done thinking and change to Action Mode, as if some sort of Punctuation is taking place.

I often Talk to myself also though or suddenly stand up and say "BINGO! I know what to do" or go "Hmmm.." or "aha!" and the likes.

I`m glad you said yourself about reading too much into it, it Could be a sign of Insecurity, but on Your Part!?

Well being that Ive been deemed to have GAD & SAD :confused: (General and Social Anxiety Disorder) I think I can bring a unique view on this.

Since I am self-conscious 98% of the time I can tell you this behaviour is most likely natural at normal level. I do similar things but more to a higer degree. I sweat, have a hard time breathing, with some mild shaking some times when I walk by people.

So personally I think it rooted in anxiety. The sniff can be a distraction, or the cause of a irregular breathing pattern. It's amasing the effects another human being has on someone regardless of what they are doing, they could just be in the presences of another and still affect them.

Then again my reality differs alot from others.

I`m glad you said yourself about reading too much into it, it Could be a sign of Insecurity, but on Your Part!?

Probably right...I am very aware of other peoples presence, though I do intentionally look for little quirks in behaviour. Glad I'm not the only one though who's noticed the public 'sniffing' craze.

tell you what, I`ll be on the lookout for this the next time I`m out, and If I hear it, I`ll stop them and ask Why.

I make you this promise! :)

you`ve got Me curious about it now, and what a better way can you think of to find out?

Well being that Ive been deemed to have GAD & SAD :confused: (General and Social Anxiety Disorder) I think I can bring a unique view on this.

Since I am self-conscious 98% of the time I can tell you this behaviour is most likely natural at normal level. I do similar things but more to a higer degree. I sweat' date=' have a hard time breathing, with some mild shaking some times when I walk by people.

So personally I think it rooted in anxiety. The sniff can be a distraction, or the cause of a irregular breathing pattern. It's amasing the effects another human being has on someone regardless of what they are doing, they could just be in the presences of another and still affect them.

Then again my reality differs alot from others.[/quote']

Thanks for being open...this is what I thought, that it can be attributed to a number of reasons. It could be in some cases nervousness, and sometimes a sniff of dissaproval or asserting confidence (if a person is that shallow) or that it's a sudden awareness kick, when somebody is day dreaming...and somebody elses presence wakes them out of it (like YT2095's example.)

tell you what' date=' I`ll be on the lookout for this the next time I`m out, and If I hear it, I`ll stop them and ask Why.

I make you this promise! :)[/quote']

Sweet ! I bet they'll either say 'oh, I didn't realise I did' or 'not sure, hmmm.'

Would be very interesting to hear what someone has to say when put on the spot, you could learn a little about someone, just from a sniff.

I'm doing the same thing too! But not while I'm walking, I usually just sit around and think..or just stare into space...then when i notice someone coming my way...i sniff. Then i straighten myself up..or sit straight...or change my position at a quick instant...touch my nose, squeeze it perhaps...hold my neck...

So maybe it's the fear of having someone find out that you are alone...or thinking...or doing something that they haven't seen you do before...or for strangers...then maybe it is insecurity. Hmmm...I think I'll highten my observation skills...and when someone does the sniff...i'll ask them about it...they'll pretty much say..."I sniffed? I didn't know."...maybe it's a reflex? or something...I don't know.

I'm sure YT will have an answer for you soon.

Strange, but I don't do this "sniff" phenomenon. I only sniff when I have reason to I think, like when I have a cold.

The "sniffers" that I know though are alice and my brother. I think they both do it because they have sinusitis.:)

Thanks for your responses, a work colleague has just told me he really notices it when in the gents toilet. If somebody is at the urinials and you walk in...start to do your business, he says you're almost guaranteed a sniff.

Hmmm, I'm wondering if it's an invasion of your personal space...or perhaps private time. This would account for why people do it as you walk past, or when you're deep in thought and somebody breaks your private time of recollection or pondering. It certainly seems to make sense when using the toilet...quietly enjoying that special moment, then somebody barges in and disturbs your 'man time.' I'm not sure this would be the same for women being in cubicles...but listen out for the unmistakable sniff, if someone is in the cubicle next to you as you enter. (no lame jokes about sniffing in cubicles please.)

I'm not sure this would be the same for women being in cubicles...but listen out for the unmistakable sniff, if someone is in the cubicle next to you as you enter. (no lame jokes about sniffing in cubicles please.)

Hmm...didn't hear a sniff...I'll watch out for it next time.

Well I just turned a corner in a corridor at work, and a fella and I had to slightly get out the way of each other...but not enough to warrant 'oh sorry mate.' I was graced with a large 'sniff.'

My work colleague who I was with laughed hysterically. I didn't think quick enough to ask him why he sniffed...significant data has been lost.

• 5 weeks later...

I've never noticed this, but do you suppose it could be a "primitive" (probably not exactly the right word) response - a check for what kind of pheromones the other person is emitting? Maybe a person who means us harm emits different pheromones than one who is friendly. Have you ever noticed a normally friendly dog take an instant dislike for some people?

In my personal experience we had a very friendly dog who took an immediate dislike to a guy my daughter was dating. Tippy would have bit him if we hadn't locked her in the utility room. In retrospect, I wish I'd let her eat him alive. He turned out to be a stalker and a dope dealer. Since a dog's sense of smell is hundreds of times greater than a human's, I'm thinking he was emitting some kind of pheromone that she recognized as harmful.

I'm doing the same thing too! But not while I'm walking' date=' I usually just sit around and think..or just stare into space...then when i notice someone coming my way...i sniff. Then i straighten myself up..or sit straight...or change my position at a quick instant...touch my nose, squeeze it perhaps...hold my neck...

[/quote']

Touching your nose or squeezing it is normally a sign that a person is lying, i'm not quite sure how this works in this example though, it can also occur when negative thoughts enter your mind, which is more likly the case, meaning if someone you liked walked past you wouldn't do it.

Scratching the neck is normally a sign of disapproval which could also occur if you don't like the person or just there appearance.

Holding or rubbing your neck is also a negative sign, which i believe is where the phrase "pain in the neck" comes from.

I'm not to sure about breathing in though, however in poker if you get dealt a bad hand you tend to breathe in as a subconscious signal, so it might be another negative action towards them.

now That`s Very interesting!

a bit of background, I have kept to my word (I even put a "Post-it" note on the top of my tobacco tin as a reminder for 2 weeks), I`ve not encountered Anyone around me that that`s done that, and so I`ve had nothing to ask anyone to find out for you :(

having said that, reading the Dog thing,,, I can can go up to almost ANY dog (nasty or otherwise) and greated warmly, even from dogs that don`t even like their owners, and I can pet them, walk into their kennel sit on their beds and THEY will move away and still wag a tail :)

this also includes Security dogs!

why? I have no idea as I`m a Cat person myself and only Tollerate dogs as an another living creature like me.

so I wonder, maybe I don`t give off any Threatening pheremones p`haps?

I've never once in my life really noticed this "sniff" though I will be paying more attention to it now that I've read this. I have a question though; when you say "sniff" do you mean a large intake of breath or a quick, sharp one? I should bring to the attention of everyone too that blowing out makes a similar sound. Is it always inspiration that constitutes this "sniff"?

I haven't noticed anyone sniff for the past few days. So I never really got around to asking them the reason behind the sniff. But I have been sniffing a lot lately...my sinuses are acting up again...I think.