mind benders

rust8y

Someone please help...I'm stuck on these problems.

The fenders (factor enders) of 156 are 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 9 and that 156 is a 7-fender (that is, it has seven fenders) {1},{2, 12, 52},{3,13},{4},{6, 26, 156},{78},{39}

Q1 Find a 1-fender which is composite. Is the answer {1, 11, 121}

Q2 Show that a number which has 0 and 9 as fenders has at least four more fenders.

Q3 The smallest 10-fender is less than 700. Find it and explain why it is the smallest.

Another 7-fender is 460 - its set of fenders is {0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6}, which is different from the set of fenders of 156.

Q4 Find three 9-fenders less than 1000 with different sets of fenders.

Q1 is 121 composite? What are its fenders? Have more confidence in your answers.

Q3 just make it. If want a fender with 2 and 3 as factors I'd write down 6, the smallest number with 2 and 3 as factors. it also has factors 1 and 6, so i need only figure out how to make it have factors 4,5,7,8,9. More sophisticatedly, you might notice that you only need to worry about prime powers: if it is divisible by 9 and 4 then it is divisible by 2,3,6, 18 and 12.

(Q2) Still stuck. Show that a number which has 0 and 9 as fenders has at least four more fenders.

I've worked out (Q3). The smallest 10-fender is less than 700. I've found 630 but cannot explain why it is the smallest.

• 3 weeks later...

the smallest 10-fender is not 630. it is 540.

i chose 1,4,5,27 and multiplied all of them together.

The 1 for the 1 fender

The 4 for the 2 and 4 fender (even numbers are divisible by 2)

The 5 for the 5 and 0 fender (even numbers multiplied by 5 results in a multiple of 10)

The 27 for the 3, 6, 7, 8 and 9 fender

27 multiplied by an even number would result it being divisible by 6 and 18.

The factors of 6 is 3 and 2, the factors of 18 is 3, 3, 2.

experiment, work it out. it really is a question that can be done by working out a few examples (eg, what are the fenders of 24=1.2.3.4, how do they relate to the prime factors) and then thinking about how to make things happen how you want. Ie, you don't just guess, or have 'inspiration': you work out how things behave. If it werew physics, you wouldn't expect to know the outcome of an experiment without doing the experiment, and this is no different.

The first post, which I have read, gives an example of factor enders not a definition. Perhaps it is possible to determine the definition of a factor ender from this example but I have tried to work it out and can't. If fact it seems to imply that fenders are two differnt things , i.e :

The fenders (factor enders) of 156 are 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 9

and

156 is a 7-fender (that is, it has seven fenders) {1},{2, 12, 52},{3,13},{4},{6, 26, 156},{78},{39}

So can someone please just give me a simple definition?

Obviously 'maths expert' dosn't imply 'helpful maths expert.'
Matt is very helpful when you give him more than 23 minutes to reply. He has every right to watch the Simpsons/eat his dinner/talk to his friends or family/help the students that he gets paid to teach rather than sit in front of a computer awnsering your post.

Matt is very helpful when you give him more than 23 minutes to reply. He has every right to watch the Simpsons/eat his dinner/talk to his friends or family/help the students that he gets paid to teach rather than sit in front of a computer awnsering your post.

He did reply to my initial question:

Exactly what was described in the first post in this thread.

Basically telling me to read something I'd already read and that dosn't actually contain a definition.

The first post states that fenders are factor enders, perhaps grammatically fends would be nicer for factor ends, but we'll allow it to be an agent noun. I'm not sure how much more clearly you need to state that the factor's end is its last digit. Everyone else seemed to have understood that (including me who came into the question with exactly the same prior knowledge of them as you). It then gave an example that demonstrates this: it groups the factors according to their end digit.