why is wanting sex considered shallow?

Callipygous

I dont know either. You can play a physical game of football with the guys, yet...

I think it has more to do with the fact that our species being selfish by birth, or atleast taught to be that way, that we automatically assume that people will act that way.

I mean, survival in alot of cases would be considered shallow.

I think the big issue here is religion and cultural taboo.

In my opinion we should be open and frank about sex and it should be an important part of our culture. I hate stigmatized sex. I grew up religious and always avoided sexual encounters and masturbation, thinking they were "bad" for me. Little did I know that the truth is quite the opposite. Ugh how I hate sexual "morals."

This leads me to a question. Do ANY other animals on Earth "hide" from its own kind when they mate? Are we the only ones to not be open about sex? I notice animals like lions just mount up right in front of everyone without a care in the world. Are all animals like this?

I think in certain species the female eats or decapiate their mate. In that case I say we don't follow that ritual.

Again I think part of the fun is the "naughty"/taboo factor. If we did it like they do it on the discovery channel...(sorry) then it would be more like going to the washroom and releaving an impulse or urge.

But to be more on topic, I dont think I actually answered your question so here; sex can be seen as having two functions. The problem is that the primary function is to procreate, therefore if being used for any other function would be "Shallow/Immoral". Tie that in with what The Peon said, and the fact that we value life (especially the infant life, so naturally the process as well) and I think thats a pretty good reason as to why it is the way it is.

it seems to me that sex is one of the closest, most personal things you can do with another person. why is wanting to have sex with someone seen as shallow?

I have always felt that sex is an enjoyment no different to eating chocolate or having a beer. However it is also the case that I haven't married and had kids. Society doesn't want everyone to be like me, because the human race would die out. So it applies an artificial moral bias stating that "casual" sex is shallow, by which it means less valid than sex in a relationship that will eventually lead to babies.

Due to our tribal nature as people - looking up to our elders (pop stars, church leaders, the queen etc) we buy in to this propaganda so keeping the population going.

In the past several thousand there was no need for anything artificial because we lived in small tribal units with no anonymity or birth control, and the tribal elders directly controlled all sexual access to the women. Themselves, usually, and it was a free-for-all (when they weren't pregnant).

So in summary I suggest you go get it if you can young man!

Will you have my children?

sangomiroku0iv.th.jpg

On a lighter note, I've never had any true physical relationship with a human. I think all humans are mushy and childish; humans never seem to become sociopathic idealists or vagabonds with a quest.

It used to be that men and women needed each other. A couple hundred years ago, ****ed up marriages were very common. Men beating their wives, adultery, etc, but they stayed together because they had to. Both sexes had depended on each other for all of human existence.

A lot of people anymore dont want kids or to get married. Especially men -- most men would rather have casual sex and not be stuck with a wife, minivan, and kids. This is one of the main reasons divorce rates are so high now. It's not that marriages are worse than they used to be; it's that couples find they really dont need each other and thus wont put up with as much to keep the marriage going.

It's shallow because it is simple and outside the mind. A deep relationship involves understanding each other, and looking inside the thoughts and feelings of the other person. Too many guys are jerks who don't even care about feelings and personality. They don't want to have a relationship, they just want to brag about girls they've been with. If that isn't shallow, I don't know what is.

It's shallow because it is simple and outside the mind. A deep relationship involves understanding each other, and looking inside the thoughts and feelings of the other person. Too many guys are jerks who don't even care about feelings and personality. They don't want to have a relationship, they just want to brag about girls they've been with. If that isn't shallow, I don't know what is.

Don't confuse things though. Yes, trophy sex, I think most would agree that is shallow. But with casual sex between concenting adults, whom for what ever reason, don't want relationships (and there are often valid non-shallow reasons for that) seem fine to me.

I don't see the difference between that and say, having a game of racket ball with someone. They are both for enjoyment and exercise.

But with casual sex between concenting adults, whom for what ever reason, don't want relationships (and there are often valid non-shallow reasons for that) seem fine to me.

Why don't you try to find that special person that you want to spend the rest of your life with? Have relationship the right way. Become close friends, go on a date, get married, live happy lives, and then get buried next to each other in the cemetery.

Why don't you try to find that special person that you want to spend the rest of your life with? Have relationship the right way. Become close friends, go on a date, get married, live happy lives, and then get buried next to each other in the cemetery.

and in the mean time, feel free to have a fling or two with some really smokin babes : )

Been there, done that, and after eight years which started out great, living on my own is a god send. Given that I can say I now know my life is in flux, why would I want to kid myself into thinking otherwise?

If I do meet someone that rings true - yeah, I know I'll rethink everything because thats what you do when you meet the right person...they change your whole line of thinking. Till then, it would be dishonest to strive for an ideal I just don't feel I want.

If wanting sex is shallow -

nearly ALL men are shallow. Because nearly all men want sex

(The statistics do vary but 98% of men (definitely aged 13-25) masturbate).

Isn't masturbation wanting sex.

I think it is considered shallow in a promiscuous sense.

If you have one life-long partner its definitely not shallow.

I think it is considered shallow in a promniscous sense.
I hate the word promiscuous. Firstly because it's hard to spell. Secondly because most people apply it differently to men and women. And thirdly because most people think it means you like to hump with many people when it really means you make relatively unselective, casual and indiscriminate choices. It doesn't mean you hump a lot, it means you're not choosy about those with whom you hump.

Will you have my children?

sangomiroku0iv.th.jpg

On a lighter note' date=' I've never had any true physical relationship with a human. I think all humans are mushy and childish; humans never seem to become sociopathic idealists or vagabonds with a quest.[/quote']

Genecks I'd love to have your children. And then eat their livers with some fava beans and a niiice chianti. thksss... hehe

Moderator: I think you should set up an online dating service here: ScienceForums Dating.