• Other Resource
    • Nothing, but facilities exist
    • Nothing, since no facilities

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 10 months later...

here`s an interesting way to make Money out of Money!

did you know, that several years ago, the copper coins used in the UK were changed?

they used to be made of Pure copper right the way through, but now it`s only plated.

the original copper coins are actualy worth more than thier face value!

so get yourself a magnet the next time you get some copper coins and keep the ones that don`t stick. if weighed in as scrap metal you`ll get more money back than the coins face value! :))

Well, not everyone.

In London they have the "black box".

In (some parts of) Leeds you have a standard wheelie bin collected once a week, and a green recyclables wheelie collected once a month.

I think the facilities available probably depend on the local council.

i used to have the old black box but the blue bin is new we have had it for about 1-2 months now and we have the standard wheel bin collection every week but that is not for recycling, oh yes we also get a box for recycling bottles so that is something else i recycle

One thing we do is grow our own spuds, we then take the old plant and peeled skins/leftovers uneaten and compost them, this compost then goes back on the spuds...... Ive seen on TV a toilet that goes to a worm trough where the shit is composted and becomes relatively harmless, I dunno if it can be trusted to go on crops, but I think on ornamentals it should be ok.

I think cities need to focus on recycling their sewerage and waste water. Here in Christchurch NZ we have some of the best drinking water in the world, the bottled stuff tastes worse, yet everytime I do my laundry or my dishes, water my garden or have a wash I use this same awesome water, I mean if they could set up the infrastructure to deconatminate stormwater, this would be sufficient for these uses, instead we are using our drinking water.... and even though our aquifers are being slowly topped up, who knows how long before we start getting water bans.

ooops, i got the london 'black box' thing, which collects paper and card, i just remembered that it also collects glass bottles, so yeah:

paper + card + glass collected here

(but i forgot to tick glass in the vote)

In Finland there are almost without no exception, at every street, recycling boxes for metal, paper and glass. Then there are at the front of several larger shops/supermarkets, a bigger recycling spot where you can put cardboard, different kinds of containers, clothes... so on. And there are places where you can recycle batteries and all that stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else. So we don't really lack recycling facilities here. :P People are just lazy, that's the problem.

Edit: I'm not sure about the other parts though, around here (Turku region, if you bother to check the map) the "at every street, almost without no exception" is quite true.

Oh, u just reminded me, I do recycle "other" my clothes, however they aren't turned into new clothes, just handed down, given to charities, the good ones sold to second hand shops :)..... we also have clothing bins here, but we have recycling collected with our rubbish not one bin for each street. At universities and schools there are recycling bins for cans and glass etc...... this is something I don't do, when out I buy a bottle of drink I will just throw the bottle in the bin, since there are no recycling bins on the street and I don't want to carry it round all day the take it home.

• 2 weeks later...

We recycle paper, glass and cardboard mainly. But every so often when we get a spare hunk of metal, we have no other use but to recycle it.

I found a rather strange but interesting program called Freecycling. It's basically where people give away their stuff that they have no use for. I found a 6 ft satellite communications disk on there, but Inever put a word on it...missed opportunities :)

Here's the site-

http://www.freecycling.org/

I recycle everything, i mean everything, if it doesnt go in a bank its stripped afor parts. with a little knowledge and a will you can make anything out of junk.

old alu tins that the take away comes in. you name it I keep it and reuse it for something.

I've even design and build and used a full scale hydroponics room, and it cost me about £10 for some clear tape.

Too many people dont care these days but I want my kids to live in a nice clean world.

I'm only 20 as well. :P

you heard about the new thing coming out in the UK about the wins being mad form paper soon, what agreat idea. not a moment too late.

the amount of plastic one house uses is crasy, take you everyday 2li bottle what wrong with re-using it?

anyway I'll get into my eco-worria mode if I dont stop. lol.