Rap or Crap?

The Peon

Rap or Crap?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Rap or Crap?

• Rap
    • Crap

Not sure any other type of music works for working out,

its the.... eye of the tiger! its the.....

i dont see how you can say any kind of music is less artistic, but i also dont know to argue that in any convincing way, so... bleh : P

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I vote rap. You can't 'dunk' the whole artform just because the majority of its crap.

Agreed that most of it is not that good and very monotonous

But then again - Jay Z is pretty good.

I would say the 98% of crap rappers are giving the good 2% a bad name.

Frankly I like some rap. Kanye, Common, Asheru, Mos Def, stuff like that. I absolutely hate 50 cent and the rest though. But it is somewhat better than rock, metal, heavy meatal, alternative. I mostly listen to classical music and African music.

It just gives me headaches. A cat in a blender is more musical.

And you've Heard that? :P:eek:;) Just kidding. No offense.

Rap is pretty good.. even though most of it is crap. As "cloud" earlier said you cant just reject the whole form of art just because most of it is crap. Its like calling modern art crap. I mean most of it.. makes no sense.. atleast to me.. but some of it might be good.

I always found it amusing how most people either enjoy rap or totally hate it with a passion. It's almost scary. Is it that no other music genre has produced such controversial lyrics? Is it all the wannabe gangsters the music has inspired to take up (or take down I should say) the baggy pants? I would love to know what inspires such passionate hatred in listeners for this genre.

By the way, I started this thread because I saw a bumper sticker that said "You can't spell crap without rap." Gave me a chuckle, ironically because I was listening to Troublesome '96.

The worst part about rap is that it has no timeless value. We'll still be talking about Elvis and everyone will still know the lyrics to American Pie 50 years from now' date=' but names of rappers like Chingy and Snoop Dogg are going to be completely forgotten. [/quote']

Are you sure that isn't the best part? :D

Personally I dislike the majority of rap that I hear, but I respect artists who are serious about it, even if I can't stand them. For what its worth, I think rap is more serious about music than thomas kinkade is about painting.

the only type of rap that impresses me is free styling. That seems like it would be really hard to do. As for the rest of it, it's garbage, along with most hip hop. I can't respect artists who don't even create their own music - which is a lot of them, these days.

what makes good music? does it have to have good lyrics? does it need to make you want to dance? does it have to touch you emotionally?

if theres one thing rap is good at' date=' its making people want to dance, which is what i personally look for in most of my music. something that has such a good beat, and sounds so good, that you find yourself moving to the music without trying to.[/quote']

Call me a prude but listening to someone like Nelly rap about sex and CRAP makes me want to go home. Besides I'd be beside myself with laughter as I picture his video where he wears bling bling braces. That just does it for me, there's nothing groovy in it! It's hilarious, I'd be rolling on the floor laughing on the dance floor.:D

Rappers are just adept at making a fool of themselves...the mainstream personalities anyway.

R&B=Rap and Brahmin Excrement:D

Rappers are just adept at making a fool of themselves...the mainstream personalities anyway.

in one of my later posts i said i didnt want direct quotes because i didnt feel like singling people out, or having an argument.

i dont feel bad about quoting you for some reason.

so... the quote above is an excellent example of an opinion that is not stated as one. its also a horribly judgemental generalization. i would also argue that it is inaccurate, as they are quite clearly adept at talking fast, and at entertaining people, since they have a very large audience.

(edited for hypocrisy)

I can't respect artists who don't even create their own music - which is a lot of them, these days.

Yep! There are a lot of them in our country. They aren't even artists. They're just a bunch of pirated humans! Why do they even bother to go into the music industry when they can't even compose their own music and lyric? It's not only about the voice you know...it's what you have to show to the world...and all they show are remade songs...yes, their remade songs may be better compared to the original ones...not all though...but it's still plagiarism...piracy.

Why do most rappers these days rap about sex, or the most silly thing...about braces...or "grillz"? And check out the video! Whew! Ladies with their humps squeezed in tight with their fitting clothes...bah!

Callipygous: Very well then, I think rappers are just adept at making a fool of themselves...the mainstream anyway.

There! It is now officially an opinion!

But in fairness to rap and as someone has said in this forum that we can't just junk it as an art form, I'm going to try to listen to more rap than the odd times when it catches me as I open the TV. (Reflex action: where's the Power button?)

I'll tell you when I find some sensible crap and decide whether it's RAP.

I know one rap song that caught my attention before. It was a rap song talking about how pollution was ruining what was beautiful.

I know for certain I won't be finding much of that though.

The only rapper I listened to was Eminem. And he was then called Slim Shady.:D

I know one rap song that caught my attention before. It was a rap song talking about how pollution was ruining what was beautiful.

Why does rap need a moral message to be enjoyable? I don't get any moral message out of an episode of The Simpsons, or a Quentin Tarantino film, or a game of Warcraft. But I enjoy all these things just like I enjoy (some, not all) hip-hop.

Yep! There are a lot of them in our country. They aren't even artists. They're just a bunch of pirated humans! Why do they even bother to go into the music industry when they can't even compose their own music and lyric? It's not only about the voice you know...it's what you have to show to the world...and all they show are remade songs...yes, their remade songs may be better compared to the original ones...not all though...but it's still plagiarism...piracy.

it's all about making money - and the bitches and ho's.

The record industry and things associated with it, bring in billions just from rap records.

Yea' date=' crap, much more a fan of Black metal, techno, jazz, classical and opera.

In any case, I can see a clear reason that rap is bad, mainly from the people I go to school with who are deeply impacted by this music. Aside from the constant slur of speech and the fact that whever they have nothing better to say, they repeat some rap lyric they listen to. As you can imagine it gets quite annoying.

But besides the annoying aspect, the men are especially effected in that they have no regard for the female sex. To me, it seems to be a direct correlation between rap and disregard for females, putting them down constantly, making them out to be no more than sluts and whores. Absolutely dispicable. However I suppose this is a two way street in that the women put up no resistance, subjecting themselves to the title of sluts.

Oh well, I suppose I'm just so fed up with it, I just needed to vent.[/quote']

Yes, rap is horrible. It's the only music genre to degrade women :rolleyes: . Rap is also the only genre that people mimic their actions in music videos. As someone has already stated most of the rap on television is crap. What do you expect from MTV, BET, and VH-1? I'm fed up with the constant generalizations about music I keep seeing lately. God knows if I can count how many rap threads or emo threads I've seen online. And the titles are so creative too. Who would have thought to rhyme rap with crap?

Yes, rap is horrible. It's the only music genre to degrade women :rolleyes: . Rap is also the only genre that people mimic their actions in music videos. As someone has already stated most of the rap on television is crap. What do you expect from MTV, BET, and VH-1? I'm[/i'] fed up with the constant generalizations about music I keep seeing lately. God knows if I can count how many rap threads or emo threads I've seen online. And the titles are so creative too. Who would have thought to rhyme rap with crap?

Me.

personally i don't like rap, don't mind tupac though and i like R.A.T.M, but i don't like modern rappers most of them (not all) are just out to get money. Personally i like prog\psychedelic (Pink floyd - astronomy domine, interstellar overdirve). Also many of the "beats" used in rap music are very, very simple drum beats which is why i would say it lacks artistic creativity.

it's all about making money - and the bitches and ho's.

The record industry and things associated with it' date=' bring in billions just from rap records.[/quote']

Let's just hope they run out of ideas to sell their "artists". I'm sick of listening to the crap they produce. Them and their crappy songs.