possible HIV infection

5 years ago I had unprotected sex with a man which I know that had many sex partners. Ejaculation was always outside my body except once. 5 1/2 months after first contact and approx. 9 weeks from this once time I menioned above, I get sick and had swollen gland on my neck. The diagnosis was sinus infection. After this I don't have any significant health problems. Recently I read about early HIV infection symptoms and get crazy. I'm constantly thinking of it and getting more and more crazy that my illness 5 years ago means something else. Am I worrying for nothing and should I get tested?

I am no expert but common sense says, GET TESTED!!! I know it may not be the easiest thing to do but there is absolutely no harm in getting yourself checked out!!! If I remember correctly, the virus attacks your immune system so you are less resistant to infections, so if you are getting sick more often that normal, please get yourself checked out! You would feel much better afterwards!

If you've had unprotected sex with a promiscuous person, you should get tested whether you have any symptoms or not.

And besides it would be worth it for the peace of mind alone, no?

Husmusen.

P.S. And if you have had symptoms consistant with it, then you should definately get tested, no ifs, buts, ands, or maybes.

if you've put yourself at risk (i.e., unprotected sex with a promiscuouse man) you should definately get checked out for any STD's.

Not only should you find out so that you can prevent infecting others, but many STDs benifit from early treatment. HIV is definately one that should be diagnosed before it kicks in properly.

The test isn't too bad. I had one once, just as a matter of routine caution. it's not exactly something i'd do for fun, but it's definately no big deal (that's the whole STD test... just testing for HIV is a simple blood test), so yeah, i'd echo the other's advice -- get tested. Its a pretty simple affair, and it'll either give you peace of mind or a potentially life-extending early diagnosis.

of course what are u waiting for?GET TESTED NOW!!!!!!!! CLEAR.don't neglect health.HIV infection is hard to detect in the early stages especially when it is latent.but u say 5 years right, and u donot have any significant health problems ,Even then if u ask me get tested..

You should get tested... for sure.

but...unless i misread, you had ONE sinus infection, 5 months after unprotected sex, 5 years ago. Usually AIDS would takemore than 5 months to show any kind of symptoms. Also, should you get AIDS, you wouldn't have had one infection in 5 years (if this is the only disease you had in that time... its pretty impressive!).

I doubt that infection had anything to do with HIV. however, that doesn't mean that you do not have the virus. you really should get tested after you've had unprotected sex with any promiscuous person (or anyone that you don't know well for that matter)

I'm thinking of getting the test more and more often.

And yes, during this period of 5 years I don't experience any significant health problems. Activation of my sinuses one or maybe twice a year is not offten for sinus infection (as my doctor says to me). I never get any flu infections (when there are flu epidemy in the town where I live). Also I check my blood once a year as a result of obligatory medical examination in the company where I work and since now everything is fine. Except I had Iron deficiency due to heavy menstrual bleedings I have since I know I'm getting the period. Now the Iron level is normal.

HIV is not much present in region I live, but still I'm having nightmares about the mistake I made 5 years ago.....

• 3 weeks later...
5 years ago I had unprotected sex with a man which I know that had many sex partners. Ejaculation was always outside my body except once. 5 1/2 months after first contact and approx. 9 weeks from this once time I menioned above, I get sick and had swollen gland on my neck. The diagnosis was sinus infection. After this I don't have any significant health problems. Recently I read about early HIV infection symptoms and get crazy. I'm constantly thinking of it and getting more and more crazy that my illness 5 years ago means something else. Am I worrying for nothing and should I get tested?

I think your best bet is to get tested HIV can 'hide' for a long time without any symptoms - the test is a simple blood test, its better to have it rather then be scared - i put of getting mine done and when I did and it was all clear it was such a huge relief xx