More Computer Issues: DVD Drive Problem

Rasori

Me again, back so soon indeed. I swear, I take one step forward and I take a quarter-step back... eventually it'll all work out... I hope. Maybe I should just give up this computer.

Anyway, new error, now that I've got both my power source replaced and my hard drive in order--my DVD drive's having some issues. It's a Memorex internal 16X double-layer DVD+/-RW drive, meaning it can read, write, and burn nearly all CDs and DVDs. In theory.

In practice, it does its burning job fine, and it can read CDs and DVD movies fine. It's got an issue reading pure data DVDs, though.

I recently bought Command & Conquer: The First Decade, and it comes on DVD-ROM. The computer recognizes that the DVD is there, but doesn't autorun it. I can "open" the disk in Explorer and I can see all the files are on there. However, if I double-click the drive, I get an error message:

F:\ is not a valid Win32 application.

If I right-click and open the drive, any executable I click (I can browse folders and open .ini files fine, but not .exe) gives a similar error message:

F:\(filename) is not a valid Win32 application.

If I try to skip over the autoloader and go straight to Setup.exe, I get a unique error sometimes, and others the generic error:

(filename)

Partial Read or Partial Write Process Failed

(this latest error is not a direct quote, I can't seem to manipulate it into giving the same error again, but it's something like that).

I've tried removing the drive (both literally and through drivers) and reinstalling it, I'm certain the connectors are all in properly, and I've already replaced the game disk once due to the same error, so I'm sure it's something with the DVD drive. As another couple of notes: I installed Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 yesterday using this drive after it failed to recognize C&C--that went without a hitch. I also tested the Bonus DVD included with C&C--that works fine as well.

Anyway, hope that's enough info to help you out, I'd be glad to give more if you need it.

So you've got a disk which you can't run. And you've got other disks of the same format (DVD-ROM) that you can run.

Putting it that way it sounds that your drive can run DVD-ROMs fine, just not this one. Sounds like there is an issue with the disk. Have you tried it on another computer?

Although the error message makes it sound like it is something else. found this:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321641

Try loading the CD in safe mode and/or try a clean boot:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q310353

Check the surface of the disk to make sure that there are no big scratches or obvious places where the laser might have trouble reading the disk. If you can't find any but are still having problems, I suggest you take it back to the shop where you bought it and get a replacement - I'm sure they'd be happy to replace it.

Oddly enough, booting in safe mode allowed me to install the game. I did a couple of other fixes from the sites I was referred to at the same time and one of them appears to have worked, because the disk now works through a regular boot, as well. Thanks for your help! I really never would have thought to try loading a freaking disk through safe mode...

Which things did you do? And in what order? Like when you were in safe mode did you instal the game? Or did you leave that until you were back in normal mode? Did you try the clean boot?

Just interested.

In reply to you, 5614, I did a few things. To begin with, I did install the game through safe mode. In fact, the disk actually autoplayed without a problem once I got into safe mode. Unfortunately, I went through a very unscientific process with the whole deal and changed a bunch of thigns at once, then went straight into safe mode (for all I know, one of the changes could've allowed it to work in safe mode--I was angry with the game, though, and rushed it :P)

I switched one of my drives (dunno which because I don't know which IDE channel goes to which drive) from PIO to DMA, as one of your links (or a link from it) suggested. I also uninstalled the drivers for the DVD drive, and before I rebooted into normal mode, I tried to run a clean boot after changing msconfig during safe mode. I don't know that I did it properly, but I do know that the boot didn't end up fully clean (though it's much cleaner).

One of these things, or a combination of all three, allowed it to work in normal mode. I'm willing to bet its one or a combination of the first two--switching to DMA and uninstalling the driver--simply because those are what I did before I got into safe mode. But Windows is weird--it's possible that it would always have opened in safe mode, and that once the game was installed it would recognize the disk in any further attempts. Windows does weird things like that...

From most instances I would say automatically that it was the drivers that did it, but I had tried it once before with no avail. I may not have fully completed the process (don't ask how, I just know it's possible lol), however, which still leaves the option open to debate.