United nuclear

chemfreak

Also remember that right now it's tax season so the US Postal Service, as well as some other couriers, are SWAMPED with parcels to deliver. Also throw in the fact that it's Easter Weekend this coming weekend and there's a good chance that things will wind up taking a little bit longer than expected. (Especially if you shipped via the USPS).

• 1 month later...

Borek, that is a great read. I've also seen it on sciencemadness.org already. It is a pleasure to see that there still are magazines, who write something else than the fear and terror crap, which we usually can read about (home-)chemistry in papers and on websites.

yeah, Thanks Borek, I really enjoyed reading that too :)

I found Bill Nye`s comment particularly poinient: “People who want to make meth will find ways to do it that don’t require an Erlenmeyer flask. But raising a generation of people who are technically incompetent is a recipe for disaster.”

I know when My daughter`s old enough, she`ll have the Chemistry Set from Hell! to experiment with, Microscopes, telescopes, lasers, radios, robotics, all the electronic components she could ask for and More.

I`ll be damned if I`m going to let the law turn her into a brain dead moron that fits nicely into their mental spam can!

YT, nice post :D.

My oldest daughter is 10 years now and I've done quite some nice experiments with her already. She may play around with NaHCO3 and some weak acids freely, nice for bubbles and fountains. Under my supervision she also did quite some nice precipitation and color reactions (e.g. pH indicator color changes and metal salt complex formation). I do not yet explain all the things, only the very basic concepts, like that when atoms rearrange, that the properties can change completely. I even showed her some of the red P/ KIO4 experiments, and the Mn2O7/H2SO4 experiments, but of course only as a demo :D.

Kids really like this kind of things. They are surprised by the color changes, effects, smokes etc. Now it is time to raise interest, the explanations will follow later.

Have a look at http://www.emovendo.net. This supplier has a lot of N45 magnets (or even N50) for fair prices. I purchased many things from them and they are very helpful and really quick in shipping things (unfortunately I only could buy chems/elements from them, they don't ship the ultrastrong magnets overseas, for reasons I can understand).

Ecoli, same to me. I also posted it already on a dutch chemistry forum. This article also is posted on sciencemadness.org and the author of that article also joins in that thread. Finally something good for home chemistry...