What do you think about the next 50 years?

JonM

I know many people here are young like me (19) so I was wondering if you are concerned or excited to experience the world in the next 50 years.

The electronic revolution we live will only grow exponentially. Thinking about the technology available 50 years from now stretches the imagination as far as it can go. Nanotechnology poses many exciting solutions, but can also cause problems. Global warming and overpopulation threaten the ecosystem. And what will our nations be like if there is no viable solution to the energy crisis?

So in 50 years will we be living a peaceful society; our massive cities powered by cold fusion, having Honda robots cook us diner? Will be in biohazard suits? Will coastal cities be underwater, or covered by ice? Will it be like 1984? I don’t know… no body knows. But when I read the news everyday, I sometimes see a very bad future, and sometimes a very good and exciting future. So this is all the stuff I think about everyday, and considering that 70 might actually be considered middle aged in the future or at least not that old, (I stay healthy) I think its important we are concerned. So what do you guys think?

Italics & grey is what you said, normal is my response.

So in 50 years will we be living a peaceful society

Yes

our massive cities powered by cold fusion

No

having Honda robots cook us diner

No

Will be in biohazard suits?

No

Will coastal cities be underwater, or covered by ice?

No

Will it be like 1984?

No

I sometimes see a very bad future,

I don't. I see technological advances and a bright future full of new developments

I think its important we are concerned

About what?

I was wondering if you are concerned or excited to experience the world in the next 50 years.

I am excitied. If there is one thing I am concerned about it is that big technological advances normally take a long time and I am concerned that I may be too old or dead before they become seen commonly across the world.

I was wondering if you are concerned or excited to experience the world in the next 50 years.

I am excitied. If there is one thing I am concerned about it is that big technological advances normally take a long time and I am concerned that I may be too old or dead before they become seen commonly across the world.

Yes I do have a concern. the millitary use anything they can get their hands on to make weapons. More power = bigger weapons. Thats a constant worry for me.

With the technological advances we are shure to make what will they do with them?

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Aww... that robot's cute :)

Yes I do have a concern. the millitary use anything they can get their hands on to make weapons. More power = bigger weapons. Thats a constant worry for me.

With the technological advances we are shure to make what will they do with them?

Cheers' date='

Ryan Jones[/quote']

Maybe nobel's dream -- that one day we'll build weapons so powerfully deadly that waging war upon one another will become infeasable -- will become realised, and we'll attain an uneasy pease?

If Kevin Trudeau infiltrates a larger percentage of the american consumer overpopulation in the states will no longer be an issue.

Thats right Kevin, tell people you alone have found a cure that eliminates advanced breast cancer in 30 days. They don't need doctors, youre right! graduating from county prison and all.

hello

what will life be like in 50 years. not much different than it is now. true there will be technological advancement, but how people life their lifes will change little. take out a history book on say ancient rome, how cities are designed has change very little in 2000 years.

technology will advance, some new discoveries, some technological refinement. but the purpose they serve will remain the same. as and example your car will become safer and more importantly more fuel efficent. yet the basic use for that vehicle will remain the same, to get you from here to there. will all this new technology lead to a new enlightenment for mankind. doubt it, remember how when the home computer first showed, or the beginnings of the web. how they said it would be a new age of information, people and countries will share their knowledge, libraries will be able to make their book collections available to everyone no matter where they are. well some knowledge and understanding is being exchanged, but only for those with the means to afford to look and the willingness and skills to do so. why? because most people have no need or interest in their lifes for that information. and look how much free time it has created for you computer workers.

you may get that wall size tv, but that's just a really big tv and nothing more. 500 channels and nothing to watch.

any moon or mars bases, highly unlikely, no will amoung goverments nor the money to accomplish such. (as the nasa official said 'wish that had been a face on mars, imagine what our funding would be like.".

concerns

1) depletion of resources before technological replacements found.

2) loss of personal freedom to goverment technology in exchange for percieved increases in safety. (any londoners out there care to comment on the city's wonderful surveillance system).

3) widening gap between poor and rich, both between nations and citizen's of those nations.

no doubt many wonderous things to come, but only for those who can afford them. let us believe how we will all share those new advances freely just like we do now.

4) dumping of more technological waste on third world countries by developed(ing) countries.

but will your life be horrible, if you did not have the misfortune to be born in those nations that suffer from poverty or goverment repression, no you'll live your life as people always have.

born- go to school- get a job- get married- have a family- die. just try to enjoy what you can out of it.

as the old curse goes 'may you live in interesting times'

mr d