DVD enquiry

Primarygun

I've recently bought a DVD burner and several DVDs, but I am a beginner of this kind of thing.

1.What's the difference between +r and -r?

2.I can burn DVDR once only which is unlike CDR?

3.What's DLA? my computer alerts me that it is forbidden when I try to burn something.

4.Why do I need to enter a code?

I'm afraid I'll make things mess as there only 5 chances.

I like watching Western movies, what should I choose?

Thanks

1. They're slightly differnt technologies, you can read up about them online, I can't remember the precise differences just that +R is the better tech.

2. Yep burnem once, and that's it. +RW, -RW you can burn more than once.

3. I'm not entirely sure...

4. Where do you need to enter a code.

What type of dvd are you trying to burn, data or dvd video?

1) They're slightly different formats. -R is more common so Klaynos are you sure that +R is better?

2) Yes

3) I think this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drive_Letter_Access

is what it is referring to.

4) Where? What? Oh, is that the regional code? If so the UK is 2. Don't know what America is, don't know what China is.

Depending on the settings once you have burnt some data to a DVD+/-R then you cannot burn any more data to it. What program are you using to burn DVDs?

+/- doesnt really matter as long as your drive supports the one you use. If you want to be able to add more to a disk or reburn later you need to use RW disks, not just R. My DVD drive supports + and - in R and RW as well as dual layer so I can burn anything.

My DVD writer will only record onto +R, note that it is an old DVD writer. Also when buying DVD+Rs I noticed that DVD-R is a lot more common than DVD+R and also that all new DVD writers support both formats.

I just looked up the +/- formats on wikipedia which says that whilst most home users will not notice the difference +R is considered, by some, to be better engineered.

Yeah, but the difference is that now Betamax doesn't exist, whereas now all new DVD writers can use both formats and there is no significant difference so there is no clearcut between the +R and -R... hence they are both still around, there isn't really a winner and it will stay that way for a while. The betamax story is of course quite different.

As my new set of computer is recently bought from Dell, my DVD player supports both formats.

The shopkeeper persuaded me to buy -R when I enquiried about the things,i.e. the first question I asked here.

He told me that +R cannot be recognised by some DVD players without any elaboration and +R is traditionally used for burning data while -R is prefered to movie( also data)

When I ask why politely, he said he'd already told me.