ozone hole

does the heat generated from the greenhouse effect, escape out of the ozone hole and if so where would it escape to?

we live in New Zealand and are wondering about this effect on our country. we think that we are in a bitter-sweet situation if heat is escaping through the ozone hole. we are damed if we do because we are less prone to the extreem weather patterns seen in america (katrina) and in asian countries etc because maybe the heat is escaping through this hole (which is above our country) and yet on the down side we also experience the highest rate of skin cancer.

what do you say?.....

:eek:

the ozone layer isn't a solid thing. nor does it do much to prevent heat escaping.

The ozone layer is where the atmosphere is at the right pressure for ozone gas to form in the presence of UV light. Primarily it stops UV light getting to the surface. It does function as a slight greenhouse gas(traps heat) but its effect is negligble compared to CO2.

Thats my signature.

The top one is a slogan made up by a random generator on the internet which i thought was quite funny.

the second one is as glider said

and the third is an inside joke with my friends that i can't actually remember putting in. i can only assume thati was drunk at the time.

But to answer part of your question when heat radiates away from the earth it does so to 'deep space', which is another way off saying all the matter out there that is colder than we are, but not the stuff that is warmer. We gain heat by day, and lose heat by night, in perfect balance, almost.

Surfaces near the equator gain more heat, and surfaces near the poles lose more heat, and so heat is transported from the tropical regions to the polar regions through the tubulent mid-latitudes by ocean currents, and atmospheric currents, and weather. Again, all in perfect balance, almost.

There are diurnal cycles, and annual cycles, and many other mechanisms and cycles and trends of larger and smaller and in between scale. It is very complex, but also quite robust, but not so robust that we can't mess with it.

6.5 Billion people, many of whom are children, tend to be a little difficult to manage sometimes.