World Largest Animal??? (help)

Reny

Base on the topic, I'm quite confused which of the following is the world largest animal nowadays? ( Just ignore those fossil creatures :D )

1) Giant Squid

2) Blue Whale

thanks for helping :)

It's blue whale.Just today I saw a documentary which claimed that they even eat giant squids.The crew was checking there stomachs to get any remains to study them and they even got some.But you better double check it.(whale eat squid stuff,rest is right up to my knowledge.)

The Blue Whale is certainly the largest known animal alive today, and is probably more massive than any creature we have fossil eidence of. (Some saurpod dinosaurs are speculated to have reached even greater sizes, but evidence is sketchy at best.) A blue whale is on average upwards of eighty feet long and can easily weigh 150 tons, with animals measured up to a hundred feet long and possibly as much as 200 tons.

On the otherhand, giant squid are puny by comparison, reaching lengths of thirty to fifty feet (as far as we know), much of this consisting of their lengthy tentacles. Large sharks, small whale and such are often more massive than the giant squid, which only grow to a max of maybe two tons.

Anywho, the collosal squid of antarctic waters is though to be larger than the giant.

Just today I saw a documentary which claimed that they even eat giant squids.The crew was checking there stomachs to get any remains to study them and they even got some.But you better double check it.(whale eat squid stuff,rest is right up to my knowledge.)
The BLue Whale is a balleen whale, meaning that it feeds mainly on schools of small krill by straining water through bristle-like balleen plates. The Sperm Whale is the large toothed whale known to feed on giant squid.

Actually, I should mention that a number of land animals are often larger than giant squid, even the largest squid being outmassed by elephants, rhinos, hippos, estuarine crocodiles, etc. Average sized squid may be lighter than brown and polar bears, cattle, big cats, etc.

Yup.My mistake azure.There by "They" I meant whales and not blue whales.You are right.Thanks.
Eh, no big deal.

There's a life size model at the 'Natural History Museum' in London, if you want to get the size of a blue whale in perspective...they're HUGE. I'm not sure I buy that they've eaten giant squid, they've adapted to feed on plankton and daphnia...hence their teeth, they act as filters.

I'm pretty sure the blue whale is the biggest creature EVER to have lived on Earth.

(IF there was a bigger one - we would have found it by now)

The largest dinosaur was about half the size of a blue whale.

The largest dinosaur was about half the size of a blue whale.
Well, Argentinosaurus weighed about two thirds what the average blue whale does, and there seem to be a new species or two that are marginally larger than it.

The big question marks go to Amphicoelias and Bruhathkayosaurus. If accurate, the former would rival an average blue whale in wieght, and the latter mught even exceed the biggest blue whales in mass. However, evidence for either has either been lost or is scant and inconclusive.

I'm not sure I buy that they've eaten giant squid, they've adapted to feed on plankton and daphnia...hence their teeth, they act as filters.
It's undeniable that blue whales don't eat giant squid, Kenshin's post was a simple misscommunication. He meant to refer to whales in general, and I pointed out the sperm whale specifically.

(IF there was a bigger one - we would have found it by now)
Actually, many of the biggest discoveries have all been very recent, and it's likely that we've only scratched the surface. Then you have to consider that perhaps there was a true monster of a giant that simply never fossilized.

It's undeniable that blue whales don't eat giant squid, Kenshin's post was a simple misscommunication. He meant to refer to whales in general, and I pointed out the sperm whale specifically.

Oh dear, how did I miss that, it was in the post above mine.:embarass:

Base on the topic' date=' I'm quite confused which of the following is the world largest animal nowadays? ( Just ignore those fossil creatures :D )

1) Giant Squid

2) Blue Whale

thanks for helping :)[/quote']

It WAS the blue whale, only weeks ago it was inched out by Rosie O'Donnell

It WAS the blue whale, only weeks ago it was inched out by Rosie O'Donnell

Has it ever occurred to you that maybe Rosie O'Donnell reads this forum?, imagine how hurt she would be. The eating disorders that it would spawn could result in her death, could you live with that?

Has it ever occurred to you that maybe Rosie O'Donnell reads this forum?, imagine how hurt she would be. The eating disorders that it would spawn could result in her death, could you live with that?
That might depend on how big a parade we threw in Thor's honor