Negative-x

KFC

As Ryan already stated, please read the page which you found yourself. It gives all information you need.

And no, you cannot replace the zinc with sulphur. Then it will not work anymore. Still, you can make it burn, but it needs ignition then with quite some heat.

KFC, please do not post all kinds of random question on this forum as you do right now and as you did before your temporary ban. Please do some research yourself. People are willing to help you with your questions, but you do not show a very intelligent attitude over here. Shooting random questions without showing any progress in your postings does not look very good. Try to be a person, who goes beyond the k3wl-level.

Next time better?

• 2 weeks later...

How is he not going past the "kewl" level Woelen. He has made 120 post on a forum dedicated to science. I dont see how this is cool at all. And this question isnt random. It is chemistry related, hence in the chemistry section of this forum.

How is he not going past the "kewl" level Woelen. He has made 120 post on a forum dedicated to science. I dont see how this is cool at all. And this question isnt random. It is chemistry related, hence in the chemistry section of this forum.

Chemistry lated and suspicious. They all seem to involve something highly dangerous and the fact that he proformed an experiment when the experts advised against it is not good for your reputation.

The questions are not random but seem to be linked in a kewl sence.

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

i wouldnt call negative-x particularly dangerous and his posts aren't really suspicious. had he posted a one-liner asking for an rdx synthesis, that would be one thing. but what is he going to do? set off thermite on a subway?:rolleyes:

i also think that there is nothing wrong with the subject of his posts. what he asks about are interesting subjects- that's how they became popular in the first place. please realize that we may be dealing with someone who has yet to take a chem class. as recent as 3 years ago i knew very little beyond general trends in the periodic table and the fact that potassium nitrate made really cool smoke bombs. oftentimes, superficial interest in this sort of thing results in the "how" and "why" questions that give some substance to the subject. i would advise members of this forum to be more nurturing than dismissive of kfc.

however, i do think that kfc should elongate his posts a bit to make it seem as if he has done some sort of research.

Just to make things clear. I have absolutely not the idea that KFC (are you still there?) has any bad intents. He seems interested in the matter, but always in a somewhat kewlish direction. No, not dangerous in the sense of evil intents, criminal behaviour or terrorism, not at all. But somewhat irritating (at least to me), because there seems to be very little progress in what is learnt, at least when we look at the posts on SFN.

I would like to invite KFC to read more books on basic chemistry, try to do a little more research on the subjects he posts and to formulate a first thought on the direction he is thinking off. That makes the posts look a lot better.

• 3 years later...

Summerlin & Early, Jr.

Chemical Demonstrations : A Source Book for Teachers

1st edition, 1985 sez —

60. Oxidation of Zinc: Fire and Smoke

1. Cl- (from NH4Cl) acts as a catalyst on the decomposition of NH4NO3

Cl-

NH4NO3(s) --> N2O3(g) + 2H2O(aq)

2. Water produced in the reaction causes the decomposition of more NH4NO3 (autocatalylic effect).

3. The reaction melts the NH4NO3 and allows the oxidation of the zinc. The overall reaction is probably as follows:

Zn(2) + NH4NO3(s) --> ZnO(s) + 2H2O(g)

B Shakhashiri's Chemical Demonstrations : A Handbook for teachers of

chemistry, provide a few more details.

By da — in the second ed of Summerlin & Early the entire "Explosion, Smoke, Fire" sections was eliminated. This experiment was not in that section.

Vol VIII Sup 1 p. 545 [1964] of Mellors opus provides more info on the catalytic effect of chlorides on ammonium nitrate. [sited in Shakhashiri, shelved by Id.]