Aren't we all really the same age?

augment

So obviously this is a physical thing, but in science class I was always taught that matter is neither created nor destroyed, it only changes forms. So technically wouldn't everyone on earth be the same age?

Depending on your frame of reference. The matter was not combined into the pattern that we are in today until our birthday. Before that is was in foods, animals, etc. I would consider the developement of organs and human structure and passing through the womb birth.

Augment,

So obviously this is a physical thing, but in science class I was always taught that matter is neither created nor destroyed, it only changes forms. So technically wouldn't everyone on earth be the same age?

On that note, arent we all made of atoms from previously living organisms? So then, does that makes us all cannibals? :cool:

No.

Matter can be converted to energy' date=' and energy converted to matter. It's possible that not all of the matter in the universe has always been here--many scientists believe that most of it was created [i']after[/i] the big bang.

How is matter converted into energy and energy into matter?

I was really getting into more the technical terms like someone else was saying about atoms and such.

And good job on the fight club quote. It's my second fav next to Gladiator(all-time greatest movie).

By that metric of age, we're all 13.7 billion years old.

I don't know about you, but the way I define myself, I haven't been around for 13.7 billion years.

Since stuff orbits and flies about, matter undergoes time dilation to different degrees for different rates of acceleration/velocity etc, so even if we counted our age by how long the energy/matter has been around (regardless of transfer between states of matter and energy) we still aren't the same age.

nope we aren't.

if we measure our age based on our present existence, we wouldn't be. our cells can attest to that. some of us have been exposed to a longer time frame, some less. that is, cellularly.

if we base it on atoms and molecules, there is no time. time becomes relative. and to which body will you relate it to? when shall you appoint the standard as 0 time?

Depending on your frame of reference. The matter was not combined into the pattern that we are in today until our birthday. Before that is was in foods, animals, etc. I would consider the developement of organs and human structure and passing through the womb birth.
Um, your not assuming that any of the matter you started your life with is still with you are you?

E=mc2 is the equation that describes how they are interchangeable.

Think nuclear fission. In fission' date=' you [i']lose[/i] a tiny bit of mass for a ridiculous amount of energy (mass times the speed of light squared, a huge number).

Huh, I thought it was just broken down into stuff smaller than atoms, but that makes sense now.