180 vestigial structures?

If you need 180, he probaly means from all animals combined, or maybe ones in the past that used to be considered vestigal but now we know the function. In the humans the tailbone is very much needed and used. I'm not an expert but I'm not familiar with no where near that amount.

AnswersInGenesis is no better a source than the back of a children's cereal box. Ideas are twisted, and information is left out and often enough made up entirely. The site only tells you what it wants you to hear, which is that everything is as it is because "God intended it that way and is great and infallible and who are we to question him?[/i']" Sometimes that site sounds reasonable enough, but in the end it's all creationist manipulation.

Right on!

However, it brings up interesting points. Actually, one. How many vestigial structures ARE there in humans? Many which used to be considered vestigial are not any longer.

Im not sure but i dont think theres very many in the human body.. The tailbone and the appendix is probably about it..

I know whale finger-bones in its fin is a vestigal structure ;)

with the link i pulled up before, it is clear that some literature exised in 1890 stating that there were 180 vestigial organs. unfortunately this source is not included in the references.

but this link is bizarre (like all creationist reasoning).

link

In the past, evolutionists claimed that there were approximately 180 vestigial organs in humans, including the appendix, the tonsils, the pineal gland and the thymus.

i don't know many who would consider the thymus a vestigial organ, it is true that the thymus, like tonsils, can be removed at a very early age but this is not a criteria for a vestigial organ, well not as far as i understand the definition of vestigial but maybe this was the definition in 1890. in lab mice the thymus can be removed 5 days after birth without any deleterious consequences. however if it is removed earlier, T cell development, which begins mid-gestation, is skewed and can promote auto-immune diseases.

on my lunchbreak, i visited the British Library. digging around a little, revealed to me how much the 1880s and 1890s was an intense period for darwinist v creationist literature. this leads me to think, the source of the '180 vestigial organs' may be a little biased (but i haven't read it so i don't know). anyway it is an old-source and is probably best ignored.

so X eugene X, maybe it was a trick question?

on my lunchbreak' date=' i visited the British Library. digging around a little, revealed to me how much the 1880s and 1890s was an intense period for darwinist v creationist literature. this leads me to think, the source of the '180 vestigial organs' may be a little biased (but i haven't read it so i don't know). anyway it is an old-source and is probably best ignored.

so X eugene X, maybe it was a trick question?[/quote']

It isn't a trick, people have found the list on some German/Dutch website but I still haven't found it :(.

vestigial organ in german is 'verkümmert organ'.

the author of link that i found before is referenced on this german site. reading through this link took me to another site which mentions a german anatomist, R Wiedersheim, who in 1885 or 1895 identified 100 vestigial organs.

my guess is that the source you are looking for is

The Structure of Man, by R. Wiedersheim, translated by H. and M. Bernard and edited by GB Howes (London 1895).