Buckminsterfullerene

aj47

I have just been reading a text book that talks about the discovery of Buckminsterfullerene, and how research is on the way to incorporate molecules into the strucure.

As the text is so old I would guess it has already been achieved but I can't find any info on the net, any of you know if this has been done yet?

Are you talking about compounds where the fullerenes encase another compound. In that case, they are called endohedral fullerenes and have been around for about two decades now. Researchers are currently developing larger cage compounds which may have applications in targeted drug delivery. For more information see wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endohedral_Fullerenes

Really interesting links thanks.

One thing though, it talks about the metals transferring electrons to the fulleren cage, does this mean that the doped metal ions become incorporated into the fullerene structure or can they freeley move about inside?

Really interesting links thanks.

One thing though' date=' it talks about the metals transferring electrons to the fulleren cage, does this mean that the doped metal ions become incorporated into the fullerene structure or can they freeley move about inside?[/quote']

From what I know they are bonded to the molecules but I guess its possible that they could exist inside too. Have a look in the references thread for a book called Chemistry of The Elements. Its a brilliant book and it covers buckminsterfullerene as well as lots of the reactions and compounds from lots of elements too. Well worth a look at :)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

You would think that any bonding to the fullerene would make it unstable due to unequal charge density etc but it doesn't seem to be the case?.

Anyway yea i'll check out that book it looks good and I have a vauge feeling I saw it in my library. I don't think buying it is an option, $100 is a bit too steep with my lowly newsagent salary.

You would think that any bonding to the fullerene would make it unstable due to unequal charge density etc but it doesn't seem to be the case?.

Anyway yea i'll check out that book it looks good and I have a vauge feeling I saw it in my library. I don't think buying it is an option' date=' $100 is a bit too steep with my lowly newsagent salary.[/quote']

Yea it is a lot but its a god reference book :)

From what I hear fullerenes are very stable things, when bonded with metals they show potential as a possible high temperature superconductor.

If you though that book was expeisive, look at this dedicated one! Fullerenes are a hot science topic so the material is expensive :-(

Cheers,

Ryan Jones