Trick or Treat !!!

YT2095

Hallow`en 2moro :)=

here`s a few neat ideas for the night and not all require a detailed chem knowledge :)

Instead of using ordinary candles, why not make things a little different and have Green Fire!

you`ll need a spirit burner (no pun intended), some methylated spirits (not alcy ghosts!) and some Boric acid (not Boris).

in a heat proof glass jar pour in 250ml of meths and then add 3 teaspoons of boric acid powder, put a loosely fitting lid on top and place the jar in a bowl of boiling hot water, stir occasionaly until all the boric acid powder dissolves. let it cool an then either store it or pour it into your spirit burner, instead of candle yellow, or meths light blue, you`ll have a beautifull bright green flame when you light it :)

If anyone has access to Silver Nitrate, make up a 5% soln in water with 20% house salt, load this into a water pistol. when it`s Trick`r`treat time, the ones that do a particularly nasty trick against you our property, spray them with this soln :)

they`ll think it`s water and wipe it off, them totaly forget about it.... UNTIL the next time they go out in the sunshine for some time <insert EVIL GRIN>.

it will turn pure black! and take about a week to dissapear, it`s non toxic (at those levels). but when in a few days time you`re out shopping and you see little Johnny with his mom and he`s got black hands, you`ll know who the culprit was <Insert another EVIL GRIN>

on a serious note, please observe ALL standard precautions when dealing with ANY chemical material, sadly common sense isn`t all that common!

most of all have phun! :)

Unpleasant dreams!

lol thats a great idea with the silver nitrate. I know we have tons sitting around the chem labs at school. Just out of curiosity, whats the purpose of 20% NaCl?

I remember in gen chem they always warned us about getting silver nitrate on our hands.

the NaCl reacts to make NaNO3 and insoluable silver chloride (it`ll look milky white when mixed) the reason is that it doesn`t have chance to mix with skin perspiration and so remains nearly a topical coating, if you wanted to REALY evil, omit the salt, the silver nitrate will penetrate the skin, THEN react with the salt, result being it will take about TWO weeks to come off! (and may affect clothing).

other than that, it`s entirely up to you :)

but I would be remiss in my obligations to give the nastiest recipe 1`st :)

edit: also with RE: silver nitrate and anyone that`s worried, it`s common practice in hospitals to put a drop of it into newborn babies eyes at birth to prevent a certain disorder (that I can`t remember). it is quite safe at the above mentioned levels!

however, as with ALL chemicals, practice safety FIRST!

maybe ya missed the point here?

it don`t show up for DAYS! or even never if they don`t get UV exposure :)

I`ve had it on my hands during experiments, forgot all about it, left my home 3 days later and noticed black spots on my hands and not had a clue where from, and I was USING the stuff!

think about it! :))

sounds fun ;)

unfortunately, not all of us have access to that sort of material, going to an art school and all....(mwahaha, I just thought of something fun to do with that stuff >=) )

I think anybody who could figure out what you said in the first post will use caution, since we've already been through enough science classes to have "safety first" drilled into our heads :P

Some interesting notes:

Silver nitrate is a powerful germicide, used in dilution 0.5% as an antiseptic, applied topically to the conjunctiva as a prophylactic against ophthalmia neonatorum, and also used as an antiseptic and astringent, especially in infections of the skin and mucous membranes. It has also been used to purify drinking water.

Contraindications, Warnings and Side-Effects

Since silver nitrate is a corrosive substance, it should be applied only to tissue to be treated, and care must be exercised both in confining it to the desired area by a suitable barrier such as petroleum jelly or ringed plaster, and in preventing any excess from wandering by covering as necessary afterwards. This is especially important during, for example, the treatment of infants' umbilical granulomas. Silver nitrate presents a particular hazard to the eyes, mouth and other sensitive areas.

Contact with silver nitrate with treated tissue and with healthy skin usually gives rise to distinctive black or brown stains. These are of deposited free metallic silver and as such are harmless once formed. Such stains are shed from skin by desquamation usually within a short time. Stain remover (q.v.) can be used on skin if really necessary, though this is recommended only for urgent cosmetic reasons. Silver nitrate similarly stains clothes and other inanimate surfaces with which it makes contact, and appropriate precautions should be taken to protect these from travelling caustic material.

Argyria, the accumulation of metallic silver in connective tissues, shows as a bluish-black discoloration of the skin, but whose early signs are often in the gums or eyes. Argyria arises from the application of excessive amounts of silver nitrate repeatedly for long periods, especially to mucous membranes and open wounds. Though not directly treatable it is regarded as a harmless cosmetic effect only. It may disappear with time.

Poisoning by ingestion is unlikely with the small quantities involved, but symptoms that do arise are due to the corrosive nature of silver nitrate, and may include pain in the mouth, sialorroea, diarrhoea, vomiting, convulsions and coma. Tissues and vomit will be stained black.

Absorption of silver nitrate, mainly from burns or open wounds, in the presence of nitrate-reducing bacteria may result in methaemoglobinaemia.

Have fun kiddies!

another idea that occured to me, being as it has a sort of "time delay" to activate a bit like invisible ink only in reverse, maybe a small explosive charge or pressurised deployment of this silver nitrate could be used in banks instead of this blue or purple ink they currently use. Iv`e seen footage on TV about a bank robber that stated specificly "and NON of that dye stuff in the money or I`ll kill everyone of you" he went to walk out with the money, the device went off and covered the notes with ink, he turned around and shot the teller and a few others :(

with silver nitrate instead, he wouldn`t notice the dye untill many hours later, AND he`de have it all over his hands after touching the notes! maybe a neat idea in bank vaults too, perhaps something like a sprinkler system?

I should imagine that unless the robber wore gloves all the time, some one would see the stains and report him/her :)

I`ve used it myself for similar reasons, where I live it`s a reall hell hole, with vandals and junkies and stuff :(

one of their favorite tricks is to put the fire hoses through peoples letter boxes and turn the water on, so a few days ago I painted silver nitrate on the hose, can`t wait until they try it again, coz I`ll be straight on the fone and tell the police what to look for! :)

YT2095 said in post #7 :

Ya know, I`de hazzard to say that at Christmas you`de be the 1`st one with "Bah-Humbug" on his lips too! :(

it IS TRICK or treat!

Well we already established I was in a grotty mood yesterday ;)

Although if I ever meet the guy who 'invented' trick or treat (via some remarkable time travel escapade I imagine), I will violently and slowly kill him.