precipitate

Aka

How can you predict weather or not a precipitate will form in a chemical reaction?

can some one pleas help me with this i have no idea what the answer is :confused:

I believe you get an insoluble compound chart and check for any compounds in the solvents? I'm not sure though.

I believe you get an insoluble compound chart and check for any compounds in the solvents? I'm not sure though.

Yup, this is correct. Some easy rules to follow are that all metal nitrates are soluble, and most metal chlorides are soluble (with the exception of PbCl2 coming to mind most readily). Other rules like these exist, and can be found on Goggle :)

maybe i could ask for some advice here.

i would like to crystalise a complex of Mg5-IP6 (IP=inositol polyphosphate).

i have made the complex, it readily forms a precipitate and is very insoluble - ie soluble at concentrations of 10-100uM; this is more insoluble than all proteins i have worked on.

i can resolubilise the Mg5-IP6 precipitate in NH4 acetate, or other salts, but NH4 seems best. i have tried to evaporate the NH4 acetate at 40C in a vacuum with the hope that crystals of the Mg5-IP6 might form, but no, i still get a precipitate.

any suggestions to how i could get crystals would be welcome.

Try to determine whether this compound dissolves in slightly acidic liquids. I do not know this particular compound, but the polyphosphate part makes me think that it is more soluble in slightly acidic liquids. Try an acid, which forms highly soluble salts with Mg. I would start trying with very dilute HCl, or dilute NaOAc with some acetic acid in it (buffer).