HCl and NH2

Derrell

1) Find out why certain gases such as HCl(g) and NH2(g) should not be collected over water.

Can someone please help me with this answer, I have been searching but i cannot find a very accurate answer for my homework. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

You have to figure out the idea at large first.

You should figure out what's in water then

Water molecules.

Then, why can't we use this method.

The general idea is that the gas could not come out again, or could not come out purely.

Choose either one.

Then, predict what happens exactly when the two molecules mix with each other.

That is,

hydrogen chloride reacts with water to form hydrochloric acid or it ionizes in water to form acid readily.

• 3 years later...

Not quite... you see, the hydrogen chloride you refer to is hydrochloric acid. It all has to do with solubility, as if the substances in question are polar, they will be soluble in polar solvents. If they are nonpolar they will be soluble in nonpolar solvents. As such, you need to account for the solubility (through Ksp) as if the substance is soluble, you will lose a certain amount of your existent yield. Thus, find out whether water is polar, and then in contrast, examine your solutes. You need to also see if there are any chemical interactions, as these can also deter your final yield.

Not quite... you see, the hydrogen chloride you refer to is hydrochloric acid. It all has to do with solubility, as if the substances in question are polar, they will be soluble in polar solvents. If they are nonpolar they will be soluble in nonpolar solvents. As such, you need to account for the solubility (through Ksp) as if the substance is soluble, you will lose a certain amount of your existent yield. Thus, find out whether water is polar, and then in contrast, examine your solutes. You need to also see if there are any chemical interactions, as these can also deter your final yield.

No, technically HCl (g) is not hydrochloric acid. Hydrochloric acid refers to HCl (aq), although the term is often stretched to cover solutions of HCl in other solvents.

Ksp is for ionic solids. There is a solubility constant for non-ionic solids as well, but it's not Ksp.

Theophrastus- please check the date on a post before responding to it. The last post was 3 years and a month ago. I seriously doubt that Derrell is still doing this homework. :P

For anyone who cares anyway, as was suggested by the other posters, look at what kind of substances HCl, NH3, and H2O are. Like dissolves like. You may also want to search for "MSDS HCl gas" or similar and check the water solubility under the physical data section, to give yourself an actual number.