Maths in medicine

Cloud

I was wondering about this.

Does applied maths really play a big part in a medicine.

Or is basic maths knowledge up to high school level sufficient.

If not, what level of maths is suitable for a person opting for a medical career.

(I understand that chemistry is quite maths heavy -mols calculation etc)

Just a query.

Thanks for any replies.

Im aiming for a medicine career myself. But to even go into a science major you need (in my university) to take physics, calculus, chem, english... All the nasty stuff. But dont worry its not that hard! If i can pull it off with none to little math/physics background then so can you! :)

Chemistry and biochemistry are great refuge for those who like science but don't like maths. Most of the "maths" in chemistry is elementary arithmetic and algebra. Nothing very complicated.

It depends really. I'm a total maths dunce but I find that I generally just learn the specific maths I need for the topic, rather than improving my overall standard of maths. It certainly doesn't hurt to keep on trying to improve your maths skills (although easier said than done ;) )

Chemistry and biochemistry are great refuge for those who like science but don't like maths

Ha ha, that's so true. I did a biochem degree because, like I said, I'm a dunce at maths. Unfortunately things have gone a bit wrong and I'm suffering the horrors of writing up a chemistry PhD thesis which involves a fair bit of mentalist maths (well imaginary numbers and vectors)

Maths definately have a role in medicine. Doctors can use calculus to comparing patient physiology. For example, you can create functions of a patients heart rate and use it to quantitatively compare it to a normal heart. There are hundreds of other things like this, especially with the human nervous system. If you think you won't need math in biology, think again.

Chemistry and biochemistry are great refuge for those who like science but don't like maths. Most of the "maths" in chemistry is elementary arithmetic and algebra. Nothing very complicated.

Haha lol im doing honors in Biochemistry AND chemistry...The iR0ny...

• 2 weeks later...
Maths definately have a role in medicine. Doctors can use calculus to comparing patient physiology. For example, you can create functions of a patients heart rate and use it to quantitatively compare it to a normal heart. There are hundreds of other things like this, especially with the human nervous system. If you think you won't need math in biology, think again.

Few doctors can do calculus.

Math is not heavily required for people in the medical career.

Medical research, now that's another matter, depending on what kind of research you do.

Physical chemistry requires a good amount of math.