Making Hydrochloric acid + Halogen Chemistry.

Runner

thats a very good question! and one I don`t actualy know the answer too, but in my experience of the practical uses of these acids, I`de have to say Periodic acid would be tops, followed by Sulphuric and then Perchloric acid, although Nitric acid is my favorite of all (how Nerdy does that sound! LOL).

I think someone else had better answer this though, as I really don`t the TRUE CHEMICAL answer to that :)

The strength of an acid is determined by its degree of

dissociation. Complete dissociation of an acid molecule

means that all of the H+ (hydrogen ions) are free and able to

react. Hydrochloric acid (HCl) is one acid that dissociates completely in H20 and is considered one of the strongest acids. Hydrofluoric acid (HF) is often considered stronger because the fumes that it releases are very toxic and it has the ability to dissolve glass, but technically it is a weak acid because it does not

dissociate as completely as HCl.

cool, so based on that, what would be the strongest, any idea as I`de like to know as well now :)

sadly in one respect, though I`ve done tons of theory, I have more parctical experience, so to me, if it has a replacable H+ ion

it`s and acid, and the one that disassociate the best would be the strongest IMO, Periodic acid seems to come tops, but of course there`s a world of difference between practical and theory, so I maybe well wrong?

(Lithium Hydroxide "eats" glass too, that`s Anionic though, still quite a mean little Hydroxide though!) :)

I`ll make this a second post as it`s better kept seperate for clarity.

Aom, Also, do NOT confuse acid strength with Concentration!

it has nothing at all to do with it :)

if I have 100% pure acid (any acid will do) and it`s PH is 3, then I pour that acid into and equal volume of pure water, the acid concentration will be 50% but the PH will still be 3 (so it will be just as STRONG).

hope that makes some kind of sense? :))

Whoa. U guys REALLY know alot. Thanx. And i always thought that hydrofluoric was dangerous!

Ok, some other stuff, what does amalgam look like, i know i asked it before, but it got removed.

And, what is the difference between chloric and hydrochloric acid?

The water potential know as Kw = the water constant which is 1.0e-14, the concentration of hydrogen ions. You only use the Kw when calculating the pH of bases (OH), Acids are substances that form hydrogen ions so you dont need to include Kw. So the pH is the hydrogen ion concentration, Anti-log pH value gives you the hydrogen ion concentration, i.e if you have 0.0258 M (molarity), of Hydrochloric acid (HCL), then the pH would be, pH = -log(0.0258) = 1.588 = pH 1.588 (strong acid). And if you had a 0.0258 M of Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH, Note the OH), then the pH would be, = 0.0258 / 1.0e-14 (Kw) = 2.58e12 then, log(2.58e12) note no - on log, = pH 12.41 (strong base), hope you got that.

• 2 months later...
fafalone said in post # :

OMG HCl IS A DANGEROUS CHEMICAL PEOPLE CAN SEVERLY BURN THEIR SKIN AND KILL THEMSELVES IF THEY DRINK IT, WE'VE GOTTA HIDE THIS INFORMATION FROM THE PUBLIC IT'S DEADLY!!!!!!

Don't mind me, I'm taking a break on a all nighter.

I drunk some HCl once and it never did me any harm. It tasted very sour and left a horrid after taste that lasted all day. Mind you is was only 3 Molar.

• 1 year later...
From your stomach. Just take out something (drinking a lot of booze may help getting some out of it) and carefully distill the nice contents of your stomach. Surely you get some HCl.

Just the other week, after drinking a bit of Jack Daniels, I kind of burped and coughed at the same time. This resulted in a VERY corrosive mixture of stomach liquids purging up into my throat for a small amount of time. My throat was raw and killing me for days after that. Couldn't believe how much that hurt.