Making Hydrochloric acid + Halogen Chemistry.

Runner

LOL .... Vomiting would probably be the easiest way to obtain it, I just think it will take a hell of a lot of vomiting and also it wouldn’t be as pure as what is needed. I thought perhaps electrolysis with molten NaCl. The problem is setting up the apparatus, I know if I spilt the ions by means of electrolysis, Cl2 will be given of which could then react with H2O, I think, giving me HCl. Don’t know if this will work though.

I'm pretty sure you can make it by bubbling chlorine gas though water, but it would be easier to buy it at your local hardware store, it goes by the name of Muriatic Acid (around 33% pure) and isn't too expensive.

While were on the subject, why is it so hard to find Sulfuric acid? Is it not the most produced chemical worldwide? I have asked around in the local stores, and the only thing I get are dirty looks.

Another question, it is possible to distill vinegar to get a higher concentration? Someone told me you have to use sodium acetate, and sulfuric acid, and then distill that. I'm assuming that’s how you would get in the 99 percentile range, but I don't see why you couldn't just distill vinegar, and get 80-90 percent. Anyone know?

fafalone said in post #9 :

Why not just buy HCl...

That won’t be much fun will it? Another benefit of making HCl out of NaCl is that I get pure Na as a by-product, which also has its uses. My main problem now is setting up a contraption for this.

Right Faf

The NaCl has to be molten at 800C and electrolysis will give you pure sodium and Cl gas and the gas bubbled through water will give you HCl but you have to have a damn good lab or your going to wind up with the compounds you mentioned.

Just aman

aman said in post #12 :

Right Faf

The NaCl has to be molten at 800C and electrolysis will give you pure sodium and Cl gas and the gas bubbled through water will give you HCl but you have to have a damn good lab or your going to wind up with the compounds you mentioned.

Just aman

Oops, didn’t realise the melting point of NaCl is 800C

T-Flex, bubbling Cl through water will only make Chloric acid, it will not make Hydrochloric acid.

Blike was right, any metalic chloride and Sulphuric acid will liberate HCL gas on heating.

a concentration at standard RTP cannot exceed 40% in solution, making HCl(aq).

use all glass ware when making this acid, and if you`ve no choice but to use rubber or cork sealers, then cover them totaly with plumbers teflon gas sealer tape (HCL gas wont effect it).

keep your receiver vessel as cold as possible and always start off with a little water in it to bubble the gas through, else you`ll waste it!

do this in a fume cupboard or outside only, wearing eye protection always! and keep a strong solution of bicarb close by in case of burns.

Edit: the same can also be done with metal nitrates to make Nitric acic, or metal Phosphates to make Phosphoric acid etc... NEVER use Flourates, they`ll eat your glass away!

electrolysis of NaCl soln will liberate Chlorine gas, and leave you with Sodium Chlorate (NaClO3)

on further electrolysis you`ll get sodium PERchlorate (NaClO4)

Carbon electrodes are the most commonly used for this.

As pure molten NaCl, further heating is`nt often required as the current generates quite a bit of heat too.

to get just the Sodium metal out, NaOH and mercury can be used too, it forms a sodium mercury amalgam (nasty stuff!!!!).

oh yeah and also chlorates and perchlorates can be treated with sulphuric acid to give the appropriate acid (perchloric acid etc...)

NEVER DO THIS!, as perchloric acid is amongst the top 10 of strongest acids known, and WILL instantly set fire to ANY organic material with a high risk of explosion! leave that one to the experts in Industry.

well it really all depends on what you want it for realy, perchloric acid does have its uses, and if you have an abundance of H2SO4 and a perchlorate salt, it`s the easiest way to go.

but`s it darn nasty stuff!

most reactions that require a perchlorate salt are best done without making the acid, simple displacement and fractional re-crystalisation`s usualy the best/safest bet :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hold up no, why not just take bleach boil to retrain NaCl crystals add water to amount of molarity then use Hydrogen either from a mazz pump or bottled. Im not telling you to do this it can be very dangerous if you dont know what you are doing AND SHOULD ONLY BE DONE IN A FUMEHOOD>, as the reaction may give off chlorine gas which can be deadly. Or try making Sulphuric acid using molten sulphur flowers.

Hmmm.. your intentions are admirable, but a few points first :)

boiling "bleach" or "Chlor-ox" (same stuff) will indeed leave you with some naCl (house salt) and also a little NaClO3 (Sodium Chlorate). adding Hydrogen would not in anway react at standard RTP.

Powdered Sulpher (flower of Sulpher) would have to be a multi-stage reaction, 1`stly would require you burn it in Oxygen to make Sulpher Dioxide, then further heating with Oxygen over a catalyst to make Sulpher TRIoxide, this would then have to be added to pre existing conc sulphuric acid to make Oleum, the subsequently added to water to match the correct molarity required.

it`s cheaper to just buy the stuff pre-made :)

you`re thinking along the right lines though ;)