More than what we see

kenshin

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just wondering what a psychologist can tell from a person's nickname or avatar.I feel that a lot can be told.What do you people think?

I guess you can learn stuff from them. Mine for example are pretty damn obvious - probably means more to someone that has studied psychology then me anyway :)

I like Pi (I love irrational numbers) and my nickname is my real name... not a lot to deduce from that even though I bet someone will say different :D

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

I guess you can learn stuff from them. Mine for example are pretty damn obvious - probably means more to someone that has studied psychology then me anyway :)

I like Pi (I love irrational numbers) and my nickname is my real name... not a lot to deduce from that even though I bet someone will say different :D

Cheers' date='

Ryan Jones[/quote']

That's the whole point.You like irrational numbers but everyone doesn't.So its a special trait of your personality.Also you use your name as nickname and everybody doesn't.What I don't get is what can be extracted from this information?

That's the whole point.You like irrational numbers but everyone doesn't.So its a special trait of your personality.Also you use your name as nickname and everybody doesn't.What I don't get is what can be extracted from this information?

Well, heres my view (analyzing myself I ask you :rolleyes:)

1) I like numbers - I like order and following patterns regularly.

I like irrational numbers because they require constant work and we never et to the end, my idea of the progression of human knowledge (un-ending).

2) I use my name as my nickname because I am unsecretive (thats actually a load of rubbish) and that I want people to know who i am.

Its probably a load of crap - as far as I'm concerned I chose the Pi image because I like numbers and it looks good. I chose the nickname because its the one I always use an its easy to remember :D

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

I would have used the name I use when playing on online games such as Battlefield 1942, if I could fit it in that is. The name is White_Plutonium - too long for a username unfortunately so instead I picked the start of my email address. I wonder what a psychologist would make of that.

I chose sunspot as my forum name because I wanted to show that there are other ways of looking at things. The sun (cultural knowledge) is not just light or truth combined with constant solar flares of new insight, but there are also many unproven things, and many subjective opinions of the same phenomena, which are the sunspots.

I use my real name and photo which is me two years ago, so if you guessed what kind of person I am by the photo you would have guessed right. I sing in church with the choir and solo on religious holidays. I also work at church functions and the local parks. I don't drink, smoke, do drugs, or any other bad things. :)

What I could never understand is why so many people here hide there identity. Why? It doesn't make any sense.

Since I'm a girl, I'm not foolish enough to give my last name or town I live in, but some here are very secretive.

Bee

What I could never understand is why so many people here hide there identity. Why? It doesn't make any sense.

On the other hand...if there is no identity, posts can be read and understood without the interference of unconscious biases related to gender, age, race and looks.

My name is very common (Paul) that I find it difficult to use that as a user name. So I used a name from one of my Role Playing Game Characters as my Username (nobody will likely have it as a user name). My avitar is just from a piece of clipart and as I used to be a programmer (untill my injury), and am a computer game designer, I felt that it fit nicely (I have alwayse been a computer nerd :D ).

One thing that has come up is that avatar and nicknames have something to do with a prominent character trait of the person which may be a strong liking,philosophy of life,loved profession etc.One thing that should be noticed is that a prominent character trait influences the overall personality very much.This will mean that one's personality may be judged from these two things.But as thread goes,its more than what you see.Like bascule said that he read Feersum Endjinn 12 years ago ago,but,the point is that he liked it enough to carry something related with it even after 12 years.This may mean that a psychologist who might have read it may open bascule inside-out.

This crap is my view point.:D What do you people say?:rolleyes:

My name is Mark. When I was young I was called pencil mark by the adults because I was thin and fairly bright. As a teen I was dubbed Marcos and Marcos Supreme, by my closest friends, because I was good at academics, sports, partying, diplomacy. I preferred, just Mark so I could stay below the radar of attention. This allowed me to blend into all the various niche groups and have many types of friends without adversaries. Screen names often have to do with one's state of mind. Sunspot was chosen as a reflection of the discernment of truth and shadow becoming more important than my former youthful adaptation. Sometimes pointing out the truth and shadow can make one unacceptable to all the groups.

Mine goes back many many year and I needed a Radio call sign, a song was playing at the time, so I shorted its title and used that, it`s stuck ever since (about 25ish years).

my avatar is just the most recent pic of myself, my wife happened to be on there also (there`s not many pics of Just me).

nothing Psychological about my stuff, sorry :)

what you see is what you get!

GCOL is just a contraction of my name.

No avatar because:

1. As someone else said, an opinion or point of view should be taken at face value, not tempered with a preconceived prejudice.

2. If I could find a decent cartoon of Rip Van Winkle, might use that. Not sure if I have woken from a long sleep, or would like to fall into one and waken after a couple of hundred years to find out how much current nonsense has actually come to pass.

One thing that I notice is that every body is trying to relate there nickname and avatar to there personality or trying to say if something can be extracted from there avatar or not.As I want to know that if something can be extracted or not,so lets try to predict somethings about some one from there avatar,nickname or signature and let us see if it works.Please contribute.

My real name is Abhinandan, and I guess since most people can't pronounce it properly I've grown used to not using it and using nicknames. Most people I know call me Abhi[usually pronounced Abby]. On most places online I use Abskebabs or something quite similiar as a nickname. I guess its a play on words on something I remeber a friend of mine saying a while back as a bit of a joke, "Abs! Abs! Show us your babs!" [it's weird I can remeber something as obscure as that].

As for my avatar, I woudn't read too much into it, it's just I liked the movie taxi driver and the main character played by Robert de Niro; a moral crusader once you can see past your initial impressions. Actually, I think you could guess something about my personality after reading that!

...As I want to know that if something can be extracted or not,so lets try to predict somethings about some one from there avatar,nickname or signature and let us see if it works.Please contribute.
There isn't enough information in somebody's avatar or nickname to enable anybody (even a Psychologist) to make any reliable predictions. Nicknames and avatars are not reliable personality traits.

There isn't enough information in somebody's avatar or nickname to enable anybody (even a Psychologist) to make any reliable predictions. Nicknames and avatars are not reliable personality traits.

What I feel is that they are not chosen totally randomly.There has to be some sort of relation as something goes on somebody's mind before he/she chooses these things,which I feel is related to the liking of the person like in case of bascule,ryanj and others.Like bascule is liking the book for 12 years.May be,that is because he found something attractive in that which influenced him much.I am not saying that the predictions be extremely reliable,but then its all about knowing how reliable they can be.As glider belongs to this field,I request him to take the pains of making such predictions about us and then lets see how much accurate it can get.This can then be called a research(sort of).So I request you all to participate in it,make some predictions about someone and then let him/her tell how accurate you have been.

that wouldn`t strictly be fair either as a test, because we all know each other to varing degrees anyway from Other sources, to be even Remotely fair, it would require a 3`rd party that knew Nothing about us, and were presented only with the nick and avatar.

that wouldn`t strictly be fair either as a test, because we all know each other to varing degrees anyway from Other sources, to be even Remotely fair, it would require a 3`rd party that knew Nothing about us, and were presented only with the nick and avatar.

May be,but then,I was trying to write a prediction about you and removed those facts that I got from other sources(you directly:-) ).Now if we all do that and try to predict some other things,then it would be fair,fun and science,all at the same time.;)

let me start off with kenshin then...

i don't know if this is a prediction or more likely an assessment.

ur name to start off tells me u like kenshin himura, an assassin turned into a wanderer set out to protect the helpless and oppressed without the spillage of blood. of course this tells me that you like anime because kenshin after all, is an anime character.

it also tells me in a psychological aspect (in a way) that you are capable of association or whatever trait related to this (ask the experts on what it is specifically) since you could relate ur username with ur avatar.

personalitywise that is you are mature in this aspect.

you relate kenshin with kenshin's picture whereas some people will be unable to. a crude example would be if a person's username was cat and he had an avatar of a dog. this choice of relating your name to your avatar also shows that you may have an inclination towards order rather than disorder, toward association and relation rather than randomness or meaninglessness.

or it may also be that you think like most people, or that you value meaning relation. since your username is kenshin then your picture must also relate to it.

i hope i made some sense.

well digging further...since you chose kenshin this goes to show that the anime or the protagonist himself has left an impression on you.

you like the idea of honor and justice and fighting for the oppressed, but giving others second chances and not taking away anyone's life. in short, you perhaps, believe also in what kenshin believes in. perhaps, you see kenshin as a sort of hero.

let me take a wild guess...does this mean that you're a little on the youth side? since you like anime and are exposed to kenshin himura. but you may be not too young...maybe around 15 and up but below 30 years old? i'm guessing this span because kenshin is not too new an anime series and the age range from 15-30 is the more likely generation to be exposed to kenshin himura.

umm...so how did i go?

let me start off with kenshin then...

i don't know if this is a prediction or more likely an assessment.

ur name to start off tells me u like kenshin himura' date=' an assassin turned into a wanderer set out to protect the helpless and oppressed without the spillage of blood. of course this tells me that you like anime because kenshin after all, is an anime character. it also tells me in a psychological aspect (in a way) that you are capable of association or whatever trait related to this (ask the experts on what it is specifically) since you could relate ur username with ur avatar. personalitywise that is you are mature in this aspect. you relate kenshin with kenshin's picture whereas some people will be unable to. a crude example would be if a person's username was cat and he had an avatar of a dog. this choice of relating your name to your avatar also shows that you may have an inclination towards order rather than disorder, association and relation toward randomness or meaninglessness. or it may also be that you think like most people, or that you value meaning relation. since your username is kenshin then your picture must also relate to it.

i hope i made some sense.

well digging further...since you chose kenshin this goes to show that the anime or the protagonist himself has left an impression on you.

you like the idea of honor and justice and fighting for the oppressed, but giving others second chances and not taking away anyone's life. in short, you perhaps, believe also in what kenshin believes in. perhaps, you see kenshin as a sort of hero.

let me take a wild guess...does this mean that you're a little on the youth side? since you like anime and are exposed to kenshin himura. but you may be not too young...maybe around 15 and up but below 30 years old? i'm guessing this span because kenshin is not too new an anime series and the age range from 15-30 is the more likely generation to be exposed to kenshin himura.

umm...so how did i go?[/quote']

Good news!All your predictions are right in absolute and/or vague manner.But,assuming you know about kenshin,may be you can go deeper.Finally,whatever you said is more or less CORRECT.But may be mine is easyest one,try others and let's see how it turns out(YT2095will be a nice challenge.)

THANKS for the response.:D

and oh btw...

an interesting thought though is that i was only able to interpret kenshin's avatar because i was knowledgeable about his avatar. i knew who kenshin himura was. i am also a fan, you see.

perhaps i judged him in that point of view and not as an analyst, except for the association thing though.

i think i read somewhere that in play therapy or something they see kids who have psychological problems unable to associate...

like relating the word house to a picture of a house.

but i think the assessment must go beyond that. it also reveals what kenshin's personal values are...not only values morally but also in what value he associates with things...he values order or something to that point.

any thoughts?