Graphics for my Laptop

iPeppers

Hi, this may be a pretty dumb question for you guys and gals, but here goes....

I have a Compaq Presario V2575ca laptop with an ati radeon xpress 200m igp (128mb) video card, and I am wondering if it is possible to buy another video card to replace the one I have?

I understand that my card has shared memory, and i have 1gb of ram, but I would like to get a dedicated card for some smoother gaming. :cool: It doesn't have to be a top of the line card, but I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions as what to get? (assuming it would be possible for someone like me to replace the video card on my own)

Thanks for your time.

i think you can upgrade things like that on a laptop. however, laptops are a complete PITA to take appart. whats more, they are a pain to get back together too. in my computer repair class, i was congradulated by my teacher for only having a few screws left over when i was done. it can be done tho. if you decide to, just make sure you remember where, and how, and with which screws, each piece goes back on. you will likely have to move other components out of the way, so you have a lot of screws to turn and a lot to keep track of.

or, i could be wrong and it could be your gfx are completely imbedded and cant be replaced : D

Most laptops have the graphics chip soldered straight onto the motherboard; 99 times out of 100 they're not designed to be replaced.

I second that - most of the time the only upgradeable componant is RAM, considering your laptop shares its RAM with graphics, RAM might make a minimal improvement . . . though its damn expensive

Generally the only graphics cards which are going to use shared RAM are the low-end, integrated options. So even that addition would make next to no performance boost.

Which is why i said Might make a Minimal Improvement - I was thinking along the lines that the graphics card uses a set amount of RAM say 128 Mb, now that maybe unchangeable, BUT one could increase the amount of RAM so there would be probably be enough space despite what the graphics is using to avoid placing the game on Virtual Memory (on HDD) which over all is slower access than RAM - so basically the gain would be found in decreased memory access time . . . though ultimately as there is no seperate processor for the graphics, then this is completely drowned out by splitting the main processor between the two . . . rendering my last 5 minutes of typing pointless . . . oh dear :eek:

Obviously this is a very simplistic view, but i can't be bothered to get the book out . . . don't make me get the book out

I suggest you not have a laptop to play computer games

You should have at least:-

2 gig ram or 1 gig

3.0 ghz processor

a good graphics card like:-

Radeon 9800 pro

Radeon x1900 is the latest and finest

nvidia 6800 ultra

The latest nvidia 7800 gtx will be better

Well, you don't need that to run games at a decent speed. If you want to buy cheaper stuff, you just have to make the sacrifice of running games at lower resolutions or just not running them at all.

"at least"...

lmao

thats not an "at least" system. thats a top of the line system. what more are you gonna add to that? another gig of ram? 3.6ghz?

you can get by just fine with any game that is currently out with far less than that.

for example:

2.0 ghz pentium 4

512 ram

nvidia geforce 4 mx

was my system a few months ago, and it did every game i tried on it. i now have

2.8 ghz

1gig ram

ati x600 all in wonder

and yeah, everything is a little prettier, but theres no games my new system can handle but my old one couldnt.

Actually Call of Duty Runs on 2.4ghz, 256MB ram and 32 MB Nvidia GforceGo GFX . . . I should know thats the spec of my old Toshiba Laptop. So really laptops are perfectly capeable of playing games . . . . just not advised.

Anyway it depends how well the game is made - Call of Duty is a good example of a well made game and it shows when you try running it on low spec machines.

Im building a gaming pc as of now, but until then im using my dell 600m laptop.

I can run all the new games, but not very well. I can however run halo at a reseonable resolution and all other settings on high. All sounds on high as well.

I can play fear on low.

My setup:

DELL 600m Laptop

1.8Ghz Dothan M

1 gigabyte infinion pc3200

Fujitsu ultraATA 5400 RPM HDD

SXGA Monitor

ATi Mobility 9000 64mb

That gfx card, is it shared memory?

Most other Dell Notebooks indicate that it is

Except the XPS range, which imo are beautiful machines, and if you are going to game with a laptop that should be the type of machine you go for.