Will a mix of hydrogen and oxygen float a balloon?

dcstegg228

I have some... whell i plan to make some and i dont feel like seperating the gases, so if i put the mix in a balloon would it float? BTW im getting it from electrolosys of water, so its 2:1 ratio of oxygen to hydrogen right?

It should yes. They never use pure Helium in balloons anyway because its too expensive so that should work :)

Just be careful, avoid sparks and such - it does not take much to make the hydrogen and oxygen react :)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

It helps if you don't paint the outside with solid-rocket propellant.

Yea definatly. Like 200,000 m[sup3[/sup] of hydrogen was not asking for trouble the fabric that composed the ship was flammable (iron oxide and aluminium-impregnated cellulose acetate butyrate). The designers must have been drunk while making the plans. Not to mention non-earthed landing lines and stuff...

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

You didn't learn anything from your experience with the exploding 120V electrolysis cell. Did you? :mad::-(

If a balloon, filled with H2 and O2 in a 2 : 1 ratio explodes near you, especially when you are inside a room, then there is a reasonable chance that it will be the last thing you will ever hear. The BOOM is extremely loud and may well damage or destroy your sense of hearing! What is so funny of this? Are you the next k3wl on this forum :confused: ?

Please do not do this experiment!

You didn't learn anything from your experience with the exploding 120V electrolysis cell. Did you? :mad::-(

If a balloon' date=' filled with H2 and O2 in a 2 : 1 ratio explodes near you, especially when you are inside a room, then there is a reasonable chance that it will be the last thing you will ever hear. The BOOM is extremely loud and may well damage or destroy your sense of hearing! What is so funny of this? Are you the next k3wl on this forum :confused: ?

Please do not do this experiment![/quote']

Oh, no... not like that! Im doing it all outside and im never going to be less than 20 feet from the balloon. Pluss im assuming it will be quite high up before it lights and blows up. BUT if you still dont think i should do it... i guess i wont.:-(

Oh, no... not like that! Im doing it all outside and im never going to be less than 20 feet from the balloon. Pluss im assuming it will be quite high up before it lights and blows up. BUT if you still dont think i should do it... i guess i wont.:-(

If an expert says its nest not to then its best to follow the advice. It could be set of accidentally and then you'd be short two ear drums...

Maybe do it on a small scale. I have done this with a small amount and it was fun... I still wore my gloves and ear muffs though :)

Here are a few example that save you the trouble anyway: here.

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

If you never come closer to the balloon than 20 feet, how do you want to fill it with the two gases and how would you want to make your construction, which should ignite the gasses?

Again, I would say, don't do it. There are so many other fun experiments. Try what RyanJ suggested. Make approximately 10 ml of the mix of gases, take a tub, full of water and some soap in it and bubble the gas under water. Light the bubbles with a match or cigarette lighter at the surface and be surprised about the really loud bang from even this small amount of detonating gas. This experiment is safe and does not require ear-protection. But still, I promise you, you'll be really surprised with the loud noise if you really have a 2 : 1 mix of H2 and O2.