Spectacular experiment with Mn2O7

woelen

you can. i'd imagine that reacting a permanganate with much more dilute sulfuric acid would yield permanganic acid. the only reason we get the anhydride upon reacting permanganate with conc sulfuric acid is that the H2SO4 dessicates the resulting HMnO4.

Sodium permanganate and lithiumpermanganate are not really different from potassium permanganate. The main difference will be the solubility in water and the level of hygroscopic behavior. Sodium permanganate can be obtained commercially, but it is hardly used, due to its hygroscopic properties. The only place, where sodium permanganate is used instead of potassium permanganate is where with the potassium salt the concentration of an aqueous solution cannot be sufficiently high.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I too tried this experiment last night and had alot of fun testing out various substances. I found most organic materials were easily oxidised but with metal powders i.e. Mg, Al and Fe there was no reaction. This suprised me giving how easily oxidised the metals are with weaker oxidizing agent agents i.e. KNO3, KMno4. Does anyone know why this is? Could it be a structure thing like sulphur?

I noticed that metals like Mg and Al do not react with concentrated H2SO4. Only when some water is added, the reaction starts, and then it becomes really violent. Probably a similar thing is true for the H2SO4/KMnO4 mixes.