Where is the limit of knowledge?

Guest Thanhthu

Guest Thanhthu

Hi everybody? I'm a new member,and I really want to make friends here. Discussing and talking may help my math level better ^_^

But how can I do with a terrible English?:-(

Another thread with an intriguing title which fails to deliver the discussion I so desire.

Godel's Incompleteness Theorem speaks to the limits of knowledge. There's also this idea of a "consciousness singularity" floating about, when consciousness consumes the entire universe and reaches a state of eschaton.

Surely to comprehend the limit of knowlege you would first have to have all the knowlege up to that point, or at least a very large part of it? I seriously doubt it is concieveable that anyone (any person/any mind/whatever) will ever know a single per cent of what is to be found out.

Surely to comprehend the limit of knowlege you would first have to have all the knowlege up to that point, or at least a very large part of it? I seriously doubt it is concieveable that anyone (any person/any mind/whatever) will ever know a single per cent of what is to be found out.

^ I agree with that completly.

Think about it, all those hundreds of millions of books, computer stored information etc. and guessing by the fact we learn loads of new things every day we can't even be close to the ultimate knowledge otherwise we would be learning less and less not more and more as it appears we currently are.

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Think about it, all those hundreds of millions of books, computer stored information etc. and guessing by the fact we learn loads of new things every day we can't even be close to the ultimate knowledge otherwise we would be learning less and less not more and more as it appears we currently are.
Are you sure that everything we are currently learning is not in devolpment of 'the universal theory of everything'. With such a theory, if it could possibly exist, it may not be possible to know everything, but everything might be predictable, ending in the same result.

Are you sure that everything we are currently learning is not in devolpment of 'the universal theory of everything'. With such a theory, if it could possibly exist, it may not be possible to know everything, but everything might be predictable, ending in the same result.

Depends on how you define a T.O.E.

Really the theory should be able to predict the state of the universe at any time; past, present or future. Seeing as that is not possible how can we have a true theory of everything? Its not possible because of the uncertainly principal, we would need to know both the speed and position and we can't thanks to the Uncertainty principle.

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Really the theory should be able to predict the state of the universe at any time; past, present or future. Seeing as that is not possible how can we have a true theory of everything? Its not possible because of the uncertainly principal, we would need to know both the speed and position and we can't thanks to the Uncertainty principle[/url'].

By the same logic then, it would be impossible to know everything, since everything that has happened before you reached a certain point would be unknowable.

ultimately you`de have to know how much you know, and that in turn would generate a Quantity that you learned, and so you`de have to do the same thing again, and that would generate yet anouther and differing quantity and so the cylce wuold continue, locked into an inevitable loop.

hardly possible I should say :)

Hi everybody? I'm a new member' date='and I really want to make friends here. Discussing and talking may help my math level better ^_^

But how can I do with a terrible English?:-([/quote']

Welcome to the forums! It's nice to see new members from around the globe coming into our little pocket of cyber space. I hope you enjoy your stay as much as I have.

Heres my opinion, the only limit is our ability to evolve and adapt to the new knowledge without destroying ourselves in the process :)

In the end the biggest goal is trying not to self-destruct.

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Here is a question, how far do you think humans can actually progress?

I think we need to draw a limit before time travel technology although it may be possible for a very advanced race with unlimited energy supplies.

Lets get some oppinions people - how far can we actually go?

Cheers,

Ryan Jones