what can i do with this Halite(NaCi..or is it l?)

dcstegg228

Well... not a lot.

Dissolve it in Sulphuric acid to make some HCl, dissolve in water and make Hydrochoric acid.

Other then that some elctrolysis maybe... not a great deal you can do with it :S

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Well... not a lot.

Dissolve it in Sulphuric acid to make some HCl' date=' dissolve in water and make Hydrochoric acid.

Other then that some elctrolysis maybe... not a great deal you can do with it :S

Cheers,

Ryan Jones[/quote']

Wait? what?? disolving it in water wont make acid? will it? because i need some

Wait? what?? disolving it in water wont make acid? will it? because i need some

No, no. Add the salt ([ce]NaCl[/ce]) to sulphuric acid ([ce]H2SO4[/ce]) and then collect the gas that is produced ([ce]HCl[/ce]), dissolve in water and you have hydrochloric acid :)

http://81.207.88.128/science/chem/exps/expshow.cgi?index=255

Woelen's site is a valuable source for looking up experiments and here is the one we want :)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

I got a big chunk of it from science class... it tasted friggen horible, we were studying minerals and i took some. so anything cool i can do with it... besides tricking my brother into eating it:cool:

WOAH! You took something from a lab, without being absolutely sure what it is, and you ingested it?!!!!!! :eek: Don't EVER do that. EVER!!! You have no idea what contaminants may be in there. If you ever plan on working with chemicals you MUST understand that they can kill you if you don't know what you're doing. No chemist in their right mind would take a substance that they have no knowledge of and willfully ingest it. You are VERY lucky that you didn't pick up something violently toxic like a barium salt or one of the other numerous toxic salts out there.

I don't think you should be telling him how to make HCl if he eats things from the lab. Hardly sounds mature.

Yes well there we go. HCl can't be more harmful that eating an unknown substance so I don't really see a problem anyway.

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

WOAH! You took something from a lab, without being absolutely sure what it is, and you ingested it?!!!!!!

I don't think you should be telling him how to make HCl if he eats things from the lab. Hardly sounds mature.

We should not be too paranoia about this. Let's be careful not to overreact.

Also, we do not know anything about the backgrounds of the story. Maybe the teacher told something about the nature of the material and it is known that it is a natural mineral. Of course, these can also be dangerous, but generally it is less of a danger than eating an unknown lab chemical.